Pull-proof hemming

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Pull-proof hemming

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 29 Jun 2014, 17:16

I've made a t-shirt for Wriggles and a couple of skirts for me out of jersey where I've used a double needle and sewing machine stitch 1 (just straight stitch but bit longer than normal) to hem then. However they seem to snap really easy when wearing them e.g. I'll stand up and catch my leg in the skirt and hear it snap. It doesn't seem to happen with non-own-made clothes. Am I doing something wrong? My sewing machine (janome dc 3050) manual doens't mention a double needle. Should I be using a different stitch? Thanks!
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Re: Pull-proof hemming

Postby Disco » 29 Jun 2014, 19:46

When using a double needle I just use a longish stitch on jersey - 3-4mm or so. I've recently realised the space between the needles makes a bit of a difference to the stretchiness too as the back thread os obviously zig zaggong wider.
Failing that (I've not bought this yet but fully intend to) there is such a thing as Stretch thread I haven't looked where I can get it in the uk yet though...

Good luck.
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Postby ToothFairy » 29 Jun 2014, 19:47

I've had this a couple of times too, but I've also had it happen on shop bought clothes as well. I set my stitch length to 3.5 now and it seems to be fine. Another tip is to use good quality thread which is less likely to snap.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 01 Jul 2014, 12:19

Thanks both of you, saw your replies yesterday but didn't get chance to post. Never seen stretch thread before but as today is my day with Wriggle-free time I've just been and bought some and hopefully will try it out later. Also good point on the space between the double needles Disco, mine is very narrow (had no idea what I was buying when I got it!) so have also just got a wider one so quite hopeful that will help too :D .
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Return to Crafternet