Memory Quilt -Help Needed

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Memory Quilt -Help Needed

Postby Binkie » 12 Jun 2014, 15:47

Hello

I would like to make a memory quilt out of my DS baby clothes and hoped you could point me in the direction of a good website/book on quilting as it is something I have never done before. I have a sewing machine, rotary cutter and all the bits and pieces just no idea how to do it :D Thank you!
Binkie

Re: Memory Quilt -Help Needed

Postby qbm » 13 Jun 2014, 06:51

What a lovely idea. I know there was a quilter on here... Might have been Svea though I haven't seen her post for ages. My mum quilts though so if you don't hear from anyone here just shout and I'll ask her.
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Svea » 13 Jun 2014, 18:46

Oooooh, memory quilts. First sort your clothes into woven fabrics and knit fabrics (tshirts). The knit fabric will be stretchy so needs to be stabilised. You can starch the hell out of it, then sash it with (non stretchy) woven fabric. Or you can iron on a fusible stabiliser then sew as normal.
As for patterns, there are so many. Have you googled memory quilts or tshirt quilts as a start? There are a couple of YouTube videos out there, explaining some terms and giving some options.
The Missouri star quilt company have an excellent YouTube library of stuff.

More later when I am not feeding/on the phone
Mama to M since 02/10/07, P since 08/03/10 and O 07/06/13
Svea

Postby qbm » 13 Jun 2014, 19:07

Svea wrote:Oooooh, memory quilts. First sort your clothes into woven fabrics and knit fabrics (tshirts). The knit fabric will be stretchy so needs to be stabilised. You can starch the hell out of it, then sash it with (non stretchy) woven fabric. Or you can iron on a fusible stabiliser then sew as normal.
As for patterns, there are so many. Have you googled memory quilts or tshirt quilts as a start? There are a couple of YouTube videos out there, explaining some terms and giving some options.
The Missouri star quilt company have an excellent YouTube library of stuff.

More later when I am not feeding/on the phone

Yay. I thought I might have made up that it was you who made all those beautiful quilts on the Flickr page :)
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Binkie » 13 Jun 2014, 19:32

I had been thinking of using the mountain of sleep suits I have but would that all need to be stabilised? Sorry I really haven't done much sewing I tend to do yarny things so this is all new.
Binkie

Postby Svea » 15 Jun 2014, 12:38

In short, yes.

However, if you use the quilt as you go technique (QAYG), you could sew with the jersey fabrics directly onto the batting and backing fabric, creating quilted blocks, that you sew together into a quilt at the end. This way you stabilise the fabric directly as you sew it onto the background if you see what I mean. There are some good tutorials on YouTube.
Mama to M since 02/10/07, P since 08/03/10 and O 07/06/13
Svea

Return to Crafternet