Nas anyone made jersey baby clothes??

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Nas anyone made jersey baby clothes??

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 13 Mar 2014, 13:44

I've never sewn with jersey fabric, so it's a bit new to me. I just wondered if it is really tricky - especially on baby clothes, which are so diddy?? I've seen a vest and footed dungarees I really like and wondered if they're relatively easy or not!

I've made plenty of clothes in the past, but it's the fabric that's spooking me!

This is the pattern https://www.sewdirect.com/acatalog/Butterick-5585.html
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Re: Nas anyone made jersey baby clothes??

Postby ToothFairy » 13 Mar 2014, 13:57

Sewing with knits is easier than you think. Most of my sewing at the moment is knits. Have a look at this for lots of hints and tips.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 13 Mar 2014, 22:21

Thanks TF - That's really helpful!!! I'll have a good read through when I have a mo!

Do you have an overlocker?? I'm borrowing my mums machine at the moment and it has an overlocking stitch on it but I've noticed that Pickles babygros are overlocked so I'm wondering if it will end up being a bit crappy.
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

UnhappyRightFoot

Postby ToothFairy » 13 Mar 2014, 22:46

I do have an overlocker, I love it!! I made plenty of knit dresses before I got my overlocker, they're absolutely fine. The main reason I love my overlocker is that it sews, trims and finishes all in one go, I can make a dress for Elsie in a little over an hour :D You'll do a great job witha normal machine.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 13 Mar 2014, 23:11

Might have to borrow my mums!!! She rarely uses it.

I'm road testing her sewing machine at the moment as I'm angling for a new one for Birthday and Christmas so wondered how wizzy wizzy I need my new one to be!!!

Thanks again!

UnhappyRightFoot

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 13 Mar 2014, 23:11

Might have to borrow my mums!!! She rarely uses it.

I'm road testing her sewing machine at the moment as I'm angling for a new one for Birthday and Christmas so wondered how wizzy wizzy I need my new one to be!!!

Thanks again!

UnhappyRightFoot

Postby jennifer91 » 28 Jun 2014, 06:30

I made my own wrap using a 100% cotton muslin that looks and feels like linen. Your time in the fabric store is the most challenging part of this project. Most fabric stores are geared for quilters and quilting cotton is not strong enough for babywearing. Make sure you choose a weave not a knit. It must be lightweight and soft but strong with a tiny bit of stretch but not too much. Linen itself is very expensive, A cotton weave is nice enough and can be dyed to whatever you like. I think I paid $9 total for mine.
jennifer91

Return to Crafternet