Opinions please - cake tutorials

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Opinions please - cake tutorials

Postby blackberrycrimble » 26 Sep 2013, 12:40

One of my ideas to boost my cake business was to post tutorials for cake skills on my cake site (which is actually a blog so would work easily). Any thoughts? There are lots of these already on youtube and other sites but I don't see why there can't be more. The idea would be to bring more traffic to the blog etc and therefore a wider potential customer audience. I wouldn't be trying to make money out of the tutorials themselves.
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble

Re: Opinions please - cake tutorials

Postby Kanga » 26 Sep 2013, 12:55

I think that sounds like a great idea. What about a feature where people could ask for a specific skill to be tutorial-ed (you know what I mean!) Would that be loads extra effort? Just thinking if someone had seen one of your cakes & wanted to know how you did a specific part and had the opportunity to ask you direct?
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby MumtoMonsters » 26 Sep 2013, 12:58

Do you want to be encouraging people to improve their own skills rather than paying for yours?
2008 and 2010
MumtoMonsters

Postby blackberrycrimble » 26 Sep 2013, 12:59

Thanks Kanga. Yes, that's a good idea, I was thinking of maybe doing some of my 'popular' cakes but letting people ask would be good. I don't think it would be extra effort, it's easy enough to leave a comment on the blog so I could just do an introductory post (maybe the obligatory how to cover a cake smoothly) and then ask people what next.

MtM. Possibly not, but my market is really limited to the local area so there are loads of people who couldn't really buy one of my cakes themselves but might have friends who live nearer...
blackberrycrimble

Postby Kanga » 26 Sep 2013, 13:00

MumtoMonsters wrote:Do you want to be encouraging people to improve their own skills rather than paying for yours?

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of it that way round.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Kanga

Postby blackberrycrimble » 26 Sep 2013, 13:04

It's also possible that people will try it, mess it up and realise how highly skilled I am and buy cakes in future :D
blackberrycrimble

Postby Kanga » 26 Sep 2013, 14:57

blackberrycrumble wrote:It's also possible that people will try it, mess it up and realise how highly skilled I am and buy cakes in future :D

Fabulous point! No doubt you will make it all look far easier than it is for most people!

Kanga

Return to Crafternet