Right crafters, who wants to tell me about bias binding?

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Right crafters, who wants to tell me about bias binding?

Postby camper » 12 Sep 2013, 13:39

I'm making a quilty appliqué-y thingy for my best friend's baby. I just can't find the kind of bias binding I want though. I really want 50mm wide, so it's a bit more forgiving and I can attach it around the sides without any dodgy gaps. I just can't find much in that size though. For those that knows about this kind of thing - do people just make their own? Are real quilters just so brilliant they can successfully attach binding half that width to quilts thicker than I'm planning?
I'm also a bit meh at all the styles on offer. I really wanted something vintage floral-looking, but there's nothing out there in the width I want. Or is there and I just haven't found it yet?
camper

Re: Right crafters, who wants to tell me about bias binding?

Postby CherryPop » 12 Sep 2013, 14:11

I made 6m (!) of bias binding last night, it's definitely doable! You can get a tool to help you with the folding (google 'bias binding maker'), but as I'd refused to buy the 6m required at over £4.50 I wasn't about to pay £8.50 for a tool!

Google tutorials, it's really easy to sew the strips together and then to press and fold takes a while and you risk burning your fingers but I quite enjoyed it ;)

I don't know about the quilting thickness though, so can't help there x
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby ToothFairy » 12 Sep 2013, 14:45

You can use a pin in your ironing board cover to pull it through. This folds it so you can press it, and lessens the risk of burnt fingers!
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby Lily » 12 Sep 2013, 19:11

Liberty do gorgeous floral bias bindings; not sure about the width though.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby camper » 12 Sep 2013, 20:53

Lily - I did see the Liberty ones, and they'd be perfect but they aren't wide enough. Looks like I may have to try and make some. I've done it once before. It came out pretty thin though so I'll just have to make sure I cut my strips wider. I may have to come back to you about your pin technique TF - it's to early in the morning and I haven't finished my first coffee yet so your instruction didn't quite make sense yet!
camper

Postby Svea » 13 Sep 2013, 09:25

from a quilter, this is how you turn flat fabric into bias binding:
http://www.sew4home.com/tips-resources/ ... as-binding

i guess you could make it any width you want, but are you saying 50mm when it's folded, or as your starter size? i generally find 2.5in wide strips on the generous side for making binding, preferring 2.25in strips instead (pre-folding)
Mama to M since 02/10/07, P since 08/03/10 and O 07/06/13
Svea

Return to Crafternet