cake commission - how much to charge?

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

cake commission - how much to charge?

Postby fourweewonders » 11 Sep 2013, 12:41

Ive been asked by a friend who liked the twins birthday cakes to do something similar for her lo's birthday, she said she happy to pay ingredients + my time ( :D that she realises that my time should be factored in) but im not sure what is a reasonable rate to to charge
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Re: cake commission - how much to charge?

Postby t&n's mummy » 11 Sep 2013, 13:39

I charge twice materials plus £10 per hour, except when that figure feels too much/would make it too expensive then I set it to somewhere closer to 1 x materials plus time, I old work out both prices and see how you feel about the two, then go somewhere in the middle. You old also look at prof cake makers prices...
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Postby blackberrycrimble » 11 Sep 2013, 15:15

I might not be the person to ask given my previous rantings on the subject. I find it difficult to charge more than minimum wage as it makes the cake very expensive, people just don't understand the time that goes in. I charge materials plus a varying hourly rate, I have a lower one for friends (around £5 per hour) and a higher one for not friends (£7 - £10 depending on what I think will be acceptable). Even at £7 per hour, a cake that takes 4 hours to make will come out at around £45-£50.
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble

Postby Disco » 11 Sep 2013, 19:05

I charge £10p hr for my time for baking, plus ingredients, and another wee bit for oven & tidy up time - though i don't do fancy decorated cakes so Its been so far.

slight hijack - (how) do you charge for oven time? I keep changing my mind on what I think I should charge.
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Postby FestiveTidings » 11 Sep 2013, 19:15

My friend charges £20 for a round cake and £30 for a square cake. I'm not sure how she worked it all out but she always has orders!

I don't think she factors in time per hour as she loves doing it so much. She will happily spend 5hrs on a cake if it means she's happy with it.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby fourweewonders » 11 Sep 2013, 19:35

I am now contemplating bartering and saying cake in exchange for haircut/s. Thats gotta be a win/win.
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby t&n's mummy » 11 Sep 2013, 19:40

Yes good idea on bartering, I wouldn't not factor in time as you do need to get a fair price and if you wanted to do others, eventually you would need to charge for time, it's about valuing yourself too.
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Postby blackberrycrimble » 11 Sep 2013, 19:43

fourweewonders wrote:I am now contemplating bartering and saying cake in exchange for haircut/s. Thats gotta be a win/win.

Sounds like a winner to me.

FanToosh wrote:My friend charges £20 for a round cake and £30 for a square cake. I'm not sure how she worked it all out but she always has orders!

I don't think she factors in time per hour as she loves doing it so much. She will happily spend 5hrs on a cake if it means she's happy with it.

And this is where I start to get steam coming from my ears. I love doing it, I love doing a perfect job and won't stop if it isn't good enough. But it winds me up that there is the idea that this is ok because it is a craft/female thing, and you should almost be grateful for being allowed to do something you enjoy. You wouldn't expect a mechanic not to charge for their time. Your friend is seriously undercharging, and can't be making any money at all. Of course she has orders, people are getting something for free!

Sorry FT, I know it isn't all your fault! :) just makes me crazy!

X posted with T&nsmummy.

Also, if you are going to do it a lot, you will need to be registered with environmental health.
blackberrycrimble

Postby t&n's mummy » 11 Sep 2013, 19:53

I know bc me too on the steam thing, I saw someone doing silver handprint charms like mine on fb the other day, their prices wouldn't have covered the cost of the silver never mind the 3 hours plus it takes to manipulate the image, expose under uv, shape, sand and prep the pre fired piece, fire and the polish, grrrr, make sure your prices are fair, on you and others doing similar things....
t&n's mummy

Postby FestiveTidings » 11 Sep 2013, 20:01

blackberrycrumble wrote:
fourweewonders wrote:I am now contemplating bartering and saying cake in exchange for haircut/s. Thats gotta be a win/win.

Sounds like a winner to me.

FanToosh wrote:My friend charges £20 for a round cake and £30 for a square cake. I'm not sure how she worked it all out but she always has orders!

And this is where I start to get steam coming from my ears. I love doing it, I love doing a perfect job and won't stop if it isn't good enough. But it winds me up that there is the idea that this is ok because it is a craft/female thing, and you should almost be grateful for being allowed to do something you enjoy. You wouldn't expect a mechanic not to charge for their time. Your friend is seriously undercharging, and can't be making any money at all. Of course she has orders, people are getting something for free!

Sorry FT, I know it isn't all your fault! :) just makes me crazy!

X posted with T&nsmummy.

Also, if you are going to do it a lot, you will need to be registered with environmental health.

Oops sorry, didn't mean to offend. Perhaps I shouldn't have added my tuppence worth.
FestiveTidings

Postby blackberrycrimble » 11 Sep 2013, 20:05

No, you didn't, FT, you weren't saying 'this is the best way to charge' you were just reporting something. I am far too sensitive about it!
blackberrycrimble

Postby FestiveTidings » 11 Sep 2013, 20:08

That's cool BC - it's something you love and are extremely good at, of course you are going to be passionate about it :D
FestiveTidings

Return to Crafternet