How to start learning to knit??

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

How to start learning to knit??

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 08 Sep 2013, 19:05

I would love to learn to knit! But have no idea where to start! About 700 years ago, I used to be able to do a plain knit but never got as far as cast on/cast off (mum always did this for me!)

Any pointers/books/suggestions??
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Re: How to start learning to knit??

Postby AB&M » 08 Sep 2013, 19:06

Get yourself on YouTube - lots of stuff on there. Also are there any groups in your area?

Erm... Ask Kat to do a knit camp? :wink:
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby Lily » 08 Sep 2013, 19:12

I was at a similar level to you (although I could just about cast on and off), and I learned from a book, with the odd bit of YouTube for more advanced techniques. I liked having a permanent reference, being able to leave it open on a page with step-by-step pictures, rather than constantly having to rewind films. There are loads of decent beginners' books, you just need to pick one where the projects appeal so you don't get bored before you've really started.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Morlyte » 08 Sep 2013, 19:34

You tube, lots of videos on there which are helpful.
Morlyte

Postby Cait » 10 Sep 2013, 20:51

I plan on waiting for Kat to run a Knit Camp :D
Pootle - May 2011 (after a long time trying)
Doing whatever works for us whenever I know what that is and with Green & Black's white chocolate whenever possible.
Cait

Postby meerkatsmum » 10 Sep 2013, 21:55

I was the same as a teenager and have gone through a few phases as an adult of trying to learn to cast on. I found learning from a book for kids a really easy way to learn. Now with YouTube, I'd start there. I'm knitting a jumper for Meerkat at the moment and when I get to a stitch/instruction that I don't understand on the pattern, I google it. It's surprisingly easy to learn from YouTube.

Don't worry too much about casting on at this point, just give it a go and once you've knitted a few rows it will right itself and you can practice your plain knit (on a practice scarf of course). Then once you've got a handle on that you can concentrate on learning and practicing casting on. I love knitting! It's really relaxing.
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Return to Crafternet