Knitting needles for newbies?

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Knitting needles for newbies?

Postby AwayinaChive » 17 Aug 2013, 17:32

Sooooo I think I might be super brave and buy some knitting needles and learn how to knit so I can teach my 6 year old!!! What do I need to look for? The book we have from the library says to us 4mm. Do we get plastic? Bamboo? Are there different lengths??

I'm also thinking of learning the recorder so I can teach her, so might need to ask questions about that in a different section!

Eeeek!!!!
DD1- 7/2007, DD2- 2/2010, DS- 7/2006- in heaven

Wooden stuff I make and sell www.pebblegrove.etsy.com
AwayinaChive

Re: Knitting needles for newbies?

Postby Gizmo » 17 Aug 2013, 18:49

My newbie knitting needles would have been better off staying in the shop <not helpful>

Ah the recorder, I remember learning to play that, 3 blind mice and londons burning :)
Gizmo

Postby meerkatsmum » 17 Aug 2013, 21:39

How did the blanket go, Gizmo?

I like metal needles, aluminum maybe? I like the idea of bamboo but they don't slip and slide as much and plastic is too flimsy for my liking. It really is a matter of personal preference, I believe. At least in the newbie stage, it may make a difference later on when you're doing fancy things. I've been knitting on and off for years but I'm still at the beginner stage too. It's started a jumper yesterday (have started one before but never finished it).

4mm or 4.5mm is nice, I prefer that. I'm currently using 3mm and 3.25mm which is a bit more fiddly, I feel. So indefinitely wouldn't go smaller than 4 but then again I haven't used more that 4.5 so can't tell you if it gets easier or harder.

Length wise, I much prefer 25cm. I find 30cm slightly too long and find it makes the non-pointy end weigh me know a bit.

I always use 100% wool because I figure you can buy acrylics in the shop, sonid you're going to the effort then it may as well be wool. That's a personal preference too though. I was practicing the other day using and old ball of acrylic and found it very slippy and more difficult to knit with. It may just have been me or that wool though.

As I said, I'm still a relative newbie so these are just my experiences and not neccessarily true for knitting in general.

ETA: when I'm practicing or just knitting for the sale of it (to pull it out later) then I find it's better to only cast on a small number of stitches, say 20. Many more and your rows become really long and frustrating as it takes a long time to knit a row. Gizmo found this out the hard way with her blanket! When you cast on (before you've knitted your first row) 20 stitches doesn't look like much but once you start knitting it kind of stretches out, iykwim. It's much more satisfying and easy to learn with a shorter row as the same amount of stitches makes a longer piece.
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby Gizmo » 17 Aug 2013, 21:47

meerkatsmum wrote:How did the blanket go, Gizmo?

It'll be finished eventually It's still in the corner gathering dust :oops:
Gizmo

Postby meerkatsmum » 17 Aug 2013, 21:49

Haha! I have many knitting projects doing exactly the same thing!
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby Gizmo » 17 Aug 2013, 23:42

meerkatsmum wrote:
ETA: when I'm practicing or just knitting for the sale of it (to pull it out later) then I find it's better to only cast on a small number of stitches, say 20. Many more and your rows become really long and frustrating as it takes a long time to knit a row. Gizmo found this out the hard way with her blanket! When you cast on (before you've knitted your first row) 20 stitches doesn't look like much but once you start knitting it kind of stretches out, iykwim. It's much more satisfying and easy to learn with a shorter row as the same amount of stitches makes a longer piece.

This is so true. 300 stitches didn't look much at first but it was/is an insane amount. Starting small is the way to go.
Gizmo

Postby Morlyte » 18 Aug 2013, 05:48

My all time favourite are Knit Pro Symfonie which are rosewood. I think that its definitely a personal thing though. I also love the plastic needles by Granny In Law gave me which are from the 60's!!
Morlyte

Return to Crafternet