How long would it take to make an adult's cardigan?

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

How long would it take to make an adult's cardigan?

Postby AwayinaChive » 23 Jun 2013, 17:41

Because I want my mum to make me one! She's an experienced knitter, and I also want to know, would it be really expensive if I wanted it in 100% wool, or at least mostly wool and some other natural fiber in there, if there's such a mix? Approx how much would it cost?

And, if my mum says it's too much, maybe I'll learn to knit and make it myself. Depends how hard it is, how much it would cost and how long it would take. In the meantime I'll trawl the charity shops looking for one!
DD1- 7/2007, DD2- 2/2010, DS- 7/2006- in heaven

Wooden stuff I make and sell www.pebblegrove.etsy.com
AwayinaChive

Re: How long would it take to make an adult's cardigan?

Postby Lily » 23 Jun 2013, 18:55

If she's a speedy knitter and the pattern is fairly simple, a few weeks' worth of evenings should do it. I've made myself some fiddly lacy ones that took forever, but as long as most of it is repetitive (plain or a small repeating motif) then it's not a massive task. I'm also assuming you'd want something reasonably fitted, not a huge 70s-style belted number with acres of fabric!

If you go for a good pure wool you could easily spend £40 or more on yarn - much more if it's a luxury brand. I'm a size 8 and would reckon on £40 or £50 for a sweater's worth of wool. But there are some lovely cosy acrylic/wool blends which you can buy for half that, and are easier to care for too. It would be unusual to find a wool blend with other cheaper natural fibres I think - you can get beautiful wool/silk blends but they're very pricey. But others may well correct me on that.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby AwayinaChive » 24 Jun 2013, 08:03

I think it's off to the charity shops for me then! I got one there last winter and loved it but it fell apart, and I can't get it out of my head, I want another! My mum also replied and said it would take too long and is too expensive :(
DD1- 7/2007, DD2- 2/2010, DS- 7/2006- in heaven

Wooden stuff I make and sell www.pebblegrove.etsy.com
AwayinaChive

Postby Disco » 25 Jun 2013, 08:43

I've done one for me and one for DP. Mine took a month, and his 3 months but I had DS2 in the middle of doing his so had less time too. They were both knitted with chunky 100% wool yarn. cost £30-50. Then Just as I was finishing his, the yarn shop was selling of the same yarn at half price as they were discontinuing it, so I bought loads more and now my Mum is getting one too. I started it in February and its still not finished, but I've not been 'focussed' on it like I was the other two. I've not done any of it for ages actually...

Price really depends on yarn..
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Return to Crafternet