lined curtains?

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

lined curtains?

Postby Sandytoes » 08 Jun 2013, 07:14

I've been up since 7 this morning (on a Saturday morning!) trying to figure out curtains and curtain poles and make sense of all the window measurements in the new house (not a curtain pole in sight - only some dreadful nets on bits of wire, full of builders' dust).

I thought I'd start by making some for T's room as it's one of the smaller windows (the lounge curtains are going to have to be over 3 metres wide - not sure I'm up to taking that on!), and see how I get on. They need to have blackout lining in them.

I think I've sort of got my head around how to calculate the amount of fabric, but can anyone point me to a decent tutorial for lined curtains? There seem to be some dreadful ones out there, that ramble on and on but never get around to telling you what you actually need to know!
mummy to T, born 21st August 2009

http://sandytoesanddustyfeet.wordpress.com/
Sandytoes

Re: lined curtains?

Postby fourweewonders » 08 Jun 2013, 08:01

I always take my mum fabric shopping as shes the expert she says you need twice tge width of the window to make a nice pair.

as for lining i did removable as the black out fabrics tend not to be washable, so across the top of the curtain a have extra wide tape the curtain hooks to the rail with the top of the tape then the liner is hooked to the curtain with the bottom of the tape.

sorry if that doesnt make sense i need to rush off and get washed and dressed as builder is due to arrive shortly.

will come back later
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby peasmummy » 08 Jun 2013, 08:48

WSS. I got our thermal blackout linings from amazon and they hook into the tape, so easy. I wouldn't make lined curtains just single layer then buy the linings ready made.
Pea - Sept 2009
One little angel - January 2012 @10wks
Baby Bug - Oct 2012
peasmummy

Postby oriel » 08 Jun 2013, 12:40

Remember though that if you go the removable route then you won't get quite as good a blackout effect.
Faith 12.12.2007—29.12.2009.
Zoe 19.07.2013.
oriel

Postby SharkiesMum » 08 Jun 2013, 16:09

I use these instructions and my curtains always come out well (better than my bought ones, if I do say so myself!).

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/how-to/d ... d-curtains
A - April 2012
T - May 2014
SharkiesMum

Postby cloudcuckoo » 08 Jun 2013, 20:56

I find the staff in John Lewis very helpful in telling me how to make curtains when I am feeling wobbly! Also, my Mum used to come fabric shopping with me too, and she said you could get away with 1.5 times the width. I am older and wiser now, and she was wrong. You need two times at least if you are using pleated header tape, which I prefer.I have made with and without integrated lining - when I have loose linings, I weight them and tack the bottom corners to the curtain fabric so that they pull together.
Two girls, Bug (2010) and Bobs (2007) in the cloud-nest, and a boy, Boo, too (February 2014)
cloudcuckoo

Postby Sandytoes » 08 Jun 2013, 21:06

Hmm. Not sure I understand the removable lining bit! Does it make me a really slummy mummy that I don't think I've ever washed a curtain in my life? I was anticipating T having these curtains for a few years (she wants princesses :o) and then probably wanting something different, at which point I will rip the seams out and re-use the linings for the next batch.

What are the advantages of pleated versus non-pleated tape?
mummy to T, born 21st August 2009

http://sandytoesanddustyfeet.wordpress.com/
Sandytoes

Postby cloudcuckoo » 08 Jun 2013, 21:32

It depends on what 'look' you like. go and have a chat in your haberdasher's, they should be able to show you the different sorts. I use basic pulled pleat header tape, of the sort I grew up with on 'swish' type rails which are not fashionable or easy to get hold of now. There are several other types of tape, such as triple pleat which has a pinch in it then a 'flat' bit, then a pinch, etc. And different depths so that you can hang loose lining as PP's said. Then there are the tab tops and ring topped versions for pole systems.

For me the advantage of pleats is mostly aesthetic - I think unpleated curtains look a bit thin and mean, and less likely to deal with the draughts. But thats quite personal.

I have loose linings in two places, and it's nothing to do with washing the curtains. One is a pair of bought curtains whose lining was not up to the job of a south facing room and the pedantry of my MIL, so I hung secondary blackout linings behind them. The other place is two pairs of curtains I made for Bobs' room when I was 7 months pregnant. The repeat pattern on the fabric was a nightmare, the fabric width and the lining width were different, the windows are huge and I couldn't face crawling around on the floor doing the maths again, so I made them up and dealt with the lining problem later.
Two girls, Bug (2010) and Bobs (2007) in the cloud-nest, and a boy, Boo, too (February 2014)
cloudcuckoo

Postby BLTMama » 08 Jun 2013, 23:24

I used this tutorial to make black-out curtains for Badger's room: http://littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com ... guest.html

They were the absolute first thing I'd ever sewn more complicated than a bean bag -- really not hard. I would recommend sewing the back tabs to a length of heavy fabric then sewing that to the curtains rather than sewing each tab individually to the curtain as that looks really crappy (I'd be happy to take a photo of what I mean if you like).

The black-out lining I bought was washable, but like you I'm not really anticipating ever washing them.
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Return to Crafternet