Sewing/knitting for a nearly-5yo to do?

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Sewing/knitting for a nearly-5yo to do?

Postby Brownowl » 20 May 2013, 11:23

I recorded The Great British Sewing Bee when it was on and haven't had the chance to watch it yet. I was getting a sneaky 20mins watching it yesterday when my 4yo (5 in Aug) was busily playing next to me. He got totally engrossed in it, really loved watching them making things from the fabric etc. He turned to me afterwards and asked if it was possible for someone who is 4 to be able to learn sewing to make something or knitting. Bless him.
So can anyone help me out...is there anything suitable on the Market that would suit little hands that he could make or learn so he feels a sense of achievement of making something at such a young age? Clearly I don't really want to be letting him loose on my sewing machine but guess if there isn't anything 'out there' then we could make a little something (like a sleeping bag for a teddy) with him sat on my knee.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Brownowl

Re: Sewing/knitting for a nearly-5yo to do?

Postby Svea » 20 May 2013, 12:31

i havent got time to link, but can you search for ikatbag's blog - she has three daughters and they occasionally sew together - if you search her blog you will find something helpful.
Mama to M since 02/10/07, P since 08/03/10 and O 07/06/13
Svea

Postby DandelionFrosting » 20 May 2013, 12:38

I remember starting doing cross-stitch with yarn on this plastic grid stuff. I'm pretty sure they still sell it at craft stores. I remember I did a couple of kits and then my mom gave me graph paper and some plain sheets of the stuff and I went crazy making signs for my bedroom door and cats and rainbows and all kinds of things. You can make 3D things like boxes and pencil holders, too.
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby ches » 20 May 2013, 12:49

I would do a Lucet fork or a peg knitting thing (loom? like a Lucet only lots of pegs for a bigger product). For sewing I would suggest sewing buttons onto something knitted with a yarn needle. He is probably more interested in the process than the product. J loved "button sewing work" when he was 4.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby julie_lanteri » 20 May 2013, 13:52

you could make some beanbags or ornaments out of felt, using embroidery thread and seams on the outside. Decorate with appliqu├ęs, mini pompoms etc before sewing and stuffing.
I did it at school last year and even the reception children managed and were very happy with the result. Some made Christmas ornaments, others hearts, stars and such to put in their bedrooms. I drew little dots with a biro so they knew where to sew (big mess otherwise!).
julie_lanteri

Postby AB&M » 20 May 2013, 18:19

I'm sure Jelly belly will be along shortly but she taught the chooby to hand knit. She makes a good horse lasso!
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby fourweewonders » 20 May 2013, 18:51

I got E (3) one if these

http://www.george-wilkinson.com/kitchen ... sper-chips

its mesh that supposedly make your chips nicer. i also got her a big pack of brightly coloured laces from an educational supplier ment as a refill for lacing cards/bead threading sets. The whole lot is her very own re-useable sewing kit.
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby Brownowl » 30 May 2013, 20:02

Thanks to you all for your thoughts. They were great. I'd never have thought that a pile of buttons would provide such entertainment and inspiration.

He has so far sewn together a cheap kit from Hobbycraft which came with a big child's needle and pre-cut holes. It was meant to be a Father's Day present but was given early in the excitement!
And today I was very excited when our new Lucet arrived from Little Woodlanders. Off to choose a ball of wall with him tomorrow and looking forward to lots of quiet concentration learning how to use that over the weekend! Rachel - the lucet feels so lovely and soft to the touch. I can't stop stroking it!!! Thanks for sending it so quickly.

Thanks again for you all for your lovely pearls of wisdom. Can always rely on the Forum!
Brownowl

Postby Jelly Belly » 31 May 2013, 06:33

Am I too late to pitch in with finger knitting! The Chooby makes scarves for her dolls, headbands for herself and, of course, ropes for lassos depending on the thickness of her yarn. She now only needs a few minutes input from me before she is happily doing it herself. Very similar to using a lucet but you have four 'prongs' instead of two and its harder to just put down and run off.

I am thinking I might get some of that plastic aida mesh stuff and cut it as the net for a cube for the Chooby to sew a design on and make her own little trinket box.

We recently opened a circular loom kit too which Squirmy was surprisingly good at using (it was a Christmas gift).
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby robyn » 31 May 2013, 06:50

M loves finger knitting too, it's so simple. When I run workshops I get the kids with two left hands to finger knit, haven't come across one yet who couldn't do it!
Also weaving, flat or on a card basket frame is nice, and you can use any materials.
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby Jelly Belly » 31 May 2013, 07:07

We have a weaving frame that was a birthday gift for the Chooby. Her master plan is to make five red and green placemats in time for Christmas... The first is 90% done.

I'm still talking myself into starting a home ed Stitch & Bitch group (will change he name!) and may have to return to this thread for reminders and inspiration!
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Return to Crafternet