Shawl knitting pattern?

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Shawl knitting pattern?

Postby Morlyte » 29 Apr 2013, 19:42

I'm looking for a simple (ish?) shawl pattern to make for my wedding day. Someone suggested buying a pashmina but Im really not a pashmina sort of person and think its ridiculous to spend up to £25 for something I would only wear once so I wondered about knitting something, I think I would wear a knitted shawl again, however I havent ever made one before!

Does anyone have any pattern suggestions please?
Morlyte

Re: Shawl knitting pattern?

Postby Lily » 30 Apr 2013, 10:05

I have a lovely book if Estonian shawl patterns - some are more complex than others but I think they'd all make lovely wedding options. Can't check title now as stuck under a sleeping baby, but I think it's 'Knitted lace of Estonia'. It also has a helpful guide to designing your own shawl using the various traditional elements, which you could do if you wanted to make something a bit simpler.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby julie_lanteri » 16 May 2013, 20:31

Hi Morlyte

It's a lovely idea, it would be very special and reminding you of your wedding day.

here is a link to ravelry with free shawl patterns. You can refine the search with the weight yarn you intend to use and difficulty.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=knitting&availability=free&sort=best&pc=shawl-wrap&view=captioned_thumbs

There are some lovely ones.

I have just realised you live nearby (I'm in Colchester). There are knitting groups in Ipswich and Colchester if you need any help with it.

Good luck!

Julie
julie_lanteri

Postby Morlyte » 16 May 2013, 20:35

Thanks Julie,

I did go to a group in Ipswich at The Brewery Tap for a short while before I fell pregnant with my ds2. Thanks for the ravelry link, in the end I just bought a cheaper pashmina!
Morlyte

Return to Crafternet