DIY

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Re: DIY

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 05 May 2013, 16:35

rosie_t_rivLINter wrote:We did #1 yesterday, plus some weeding of the front garden. #3-5 will be done today by DP while I take the boys to Woodchips (a kids group)

#3-5 done - check
Knackered DP - check
Mud all over my kitchen - check
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby skip » 06 May 2013, 16:09

Argggg, who needs exercise when you have to apply 4 coats of paint to one room (including the ceiling - owwww my neck). On the 4th coat now and then I get to put the pretty grey/blue on the 'feature' wall. I finished the corkboard in between coats - painted the frame white and then covered the cork with fabric so it'll be nice looking even when it hasn't got things pinned to it. DH thinks I should paint the floorboards (like the bedrooms) but I quite like them sanded. Might get a rug in the winter, I suppose. Going to reward myself for finishing by ordering the prints I want to hang... :) Then all I have to do is make the frames and sew up a couple of simple (hahaha) curtains to cover the alcove/shelving and the window.
skip

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 06 May 2013, 16:54

Omg Skip! I'm exhausted just reading all that!

The doors are out of the shed and their widths have been measured. Need DP to help me with the heights.

We road tested our "new" garden, Kate and her gang invited themselves around so we had a BBQ. I think everyone approved. :D
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby AB&M » 06 May 2013, 18:21

Dh has been DIY-tastic this weekend :D clothes Airer done & a little lean-to storage area in the garden for equipment & dangerous chemicals.

I did some gardening all day today too including cat proofing the veg box.

2 very happy adults. The kids just potters which was fab too :D
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby KateGladTidings » 08 May 2013, 19:45

rosie_t_rivLINter wrote:Omg Skip! I'm exhausted just reading all that!

The doors are out of the shed and their widths have been measured. Need DP to help me with the heights.

We road tested our "new" garden, Kate and her gang invited themselves around so we had a BBQ. I think everyone approved. :D

Ooh, I missed this. Yes, we did approve! And rtr's DP proved v handy with a broom when 2 boys got their sunhats stuck on the roof.... :mona
Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Postby skip » 11 May 2013, 19:18

Oooh my study has a beautiful blue/grey/green wall... I now have 9 picture frames to make, anand 2 curtains to sew...
skip

Postby CherryPop » 11 May 2013, 19:54

Anyone any good with outside DIY helpy stuff?

We have a knackered old patio, which really needs replacing but we can't afford to (and DH is utterly useless with this kind of thing, so all DIY falls to me to do, and I aint doing it by myself). Amongst the bog-standard paving stones, there is one corner where a corner of a paving slab has been cut out, a hole dug and a rotary washing line tubey-hole thing placed. Do you know what I mean? The metal thing that sits in the ground and the rotary washing line slots into. Anyway. It was here when we moved in, but with no washing line. We bought a washing line, and wouldn't you believe it, it didn't fit. The new tubey-hole thing was bigger than the old one. So the washing line has sat in the garage (for ten years :oops: ) and we've used a retractable washing line strung across the garden instead. However, I'd really like to use the rotary one, it would be loads easier. Having been to investigate the tubey-hole thing, it is firmly concreted in, and ten years of disuse has left it full of mud, sand and nonsense, so it's totally unuseable.

Is there any way I can get it out, to make way for the new one? Or any other magic solutions?

No worry if not, just thought I'd ask in case anyone had been in a similarly odd situation ;)
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby AB&M » 11 May 2013, 20:03

Maybe make a new hole for your new tubey thing?

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 11 May 2013, 20:07

I would attack the concrete around it, break it up and free the tube then concrete in the larger one.
How you attack the concrete depends on the tools you have to hand..... and how solid it is although experience would tell me a hammer is *often* involved.
“You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” - Franklin P. Jones
Seriously_Nutty

Postby fourweewonders » 11 May 2013, 20:08

Spent two hours yesterday with the sander on the loft beams, today i could barely lift my arms, which i didnt realise untill i went to change my patients quilt cover, and couldnt do it.
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby CherryPop » 11 May 2013, 20:54

Seriously_Nutty wrote:I would attack the concrete around it, break it up and free the tube then concrete in the larger one.
How you attack the concrete depends on the tools you have to hand..... and how solid it is although experience would tell me a hammer is *often* involved.

I don't have any concrete breaking tools, I've never done anything with concrete so I'm totally clueless here. I have a regular hammer and a rubber mallet. And a wooden mallet, I think, though I don't know where that is. I have a scrapey thing that I use to clean between the paving slabs, which seems to do quite a lot of damage to the slabs themselves :oops:

This really isn't my forte, can you tell?

We have a tree which was planted through a hole in our decking (not by us, I hasten to add) and it's died as the hole was way too small. One of my plans is to chop the tree down, bore a hole down into the stump and put the rotary washing line there. Which I'm sure is totally stupid but it makes sense in my head ;)

Luckily, my SIL's new boyfriend is a tree surgeon so I think he'll be able to talk me out of that one!

Thanks guuys x
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby AB&M » 14 May 2013, 20:41

Decorating underway :D we only had a few hours today due to surprise birthday lunch for mum with SIL & DN. a long day childcare wise tomorrow so hoping to get the room done bar second coat :D

I can then think more about finishing touches like vases, pictures etc (my favourite bit!)

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby AB&M » 16 May 2013, 17:59

I'm done :D I ache, have blisters & the room is a mess but its done! Now to put the room back together & take pictures!

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby Laura Tyewa » 16 May 2013, 18:03

Wooo! :D
Mum to L, born Feb 2012.
Laura Tyewa

Previous

Return to Crafternet