DIY

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Re: DIY

Postby fourweewonders » 27 Apr 2013, 21:27

Our list of diy jobs to do is epic atm.

Tomorrow I want to get the belt sander on the beams in the loft and scrub 112 years of soot and goodness knows what elses off them.
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby skip » 28 Apr 2013, 12:21

Good luck, fww. The smell of sawdust makes me feel a bit ill ever since we sanded our floorboards when we moved into this house. Such a massive job and we worked so hard... felt endless at the time!

I really wanted to get the rest of the priming done this morning and maybe paint some edges today while DH was at cricket but scuppered again. Well, priming went ok - I finally finished the rest of the coving and sanding and caulking and blah blah blah. Went to look for the massive pot of white paint that DH said still had lots leftover from decorating the boys' bedroom... uh, no, there was a cm of yellowed old paint that had been sitting in the sun and three paint covered brushes in the pot. Thanks, DH! Gah! Why even put it back in the porch?! <grumble grumble grumble> The only other thing left to do is put up a few more shelves, but I can't use the drill while the kids are around so it's all ground to a halt. Grump.
skip

Postby fourweewonders » 28 Apr 2013, 12:57

It makes me itchy skip, which is frankly odd as i come from generations of carpenters, i'm also the firstborn girl that broke the line of handing down skills and tools from father to son.
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby sully » 28 Apr 2013, 18:04

I told my dad the other day that I suddenly realised I LOVE the smell of sawdust and find it very nostalgic... He told me it probably means I'm going to have a boy. DH And I spent all weekend fixing our garden furniture last week - its heavy and wooden and was rotting to bits but we figured it would be cheaper to fix it up than replace, so I spend all day crow barring the rotten planks off, sawing, sanding and fitting new ones whilst DH did the weather treating at the other end of the garden. We usually half kill each other tackling a DIY project together so I was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out over all!!
Pumpkin, b April 2011
Sweetpea, b July 2013
sully

Postby AB&M » 28 Apr 2013, 18:31

So after 2 years or promising to build a lean to for storing tools / lawn mower etc Dh has decided to buy a plastic one. I don't know whether that's a win or not!

I am refusing to let him build his games coffee table "thing" until he's crossed some things off his list :wink:

Mum is up soon & while Dh is in KL we are going to decorate :D
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby AB&M » 03 May 2013, 18:41

Dh is making me my clothes Airer on wheels that I want for my drying room. At long last!!

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 03 May 2013, 18:58

Ugh. Well, we have some stuff to do this weekend...

- pot up the plants we bought last weekend (me and TheWriggler)
- check out the internal doors I stashed in the shed & see if we can make them fit. (me and DP)
- remove the bricks from the garden. (DP and TheWriggler)
- mow the lawn and rake it. (DP)
- weed the garden and sew grass seed. (DP and possibly me)
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby skip » 03 May 2013, 19:08

Sounds good b&m! And sounds productive Rtr!

Gonna break the back of the office tomorrow - shelving and painting ahoy!
skip

Postby Laura Tyewa » 03 May 2013, 20:01

We're having to wait for Severn Trent to send out someone to unblock the drains. :( We tried to DIY with some rods, but it's beyond us.
Mum to L, born Feb 2012.
Laura Tyewa

Postby skip » 03 May 2013, 20:20

Oh no Laura, doesn't sound pleasant. Hope they get it fixed.
skip

Postby SharkiesMum » 03 May 2013, 20:25

Good luck with the office Skip!

Sharkiesdad has wisely decided to not build such an elaborate deck and just out some wide stairs out into the garden and make the rest of the large area that was disabled ramp into grass. Much happier with this plan since the sledgehammer incident :scream
A - April 2012
T - May 2014
SharkiesMum

Postby AB&M » 04 May 2013, 21:24

My new clothes airer on wheels for inside the cupboard that was the airing cupboard is done. It should probably be painted / varnished but I think I will ask dad to do that next time he visits as it will give him something to do.

I will get a photo next week when it is being used!

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby twilightfan » 04 May 2013, 22:02

Yay to DIY jobs! & nailing wood to landing carpets :D DIY is something we tackle in our house.

We have just mad our tiny living room bigger by knocking through to the spare room, which is hardly ever used & we are reinstating the chimney & putting a log burner in. With the help of BIL I've just replasterboarded our spare/living & kitchen ceiling so that the plasterer will bloody plaster it. We are getting in a sparky to rewire the rooms & a plumber to move radiators but we shall lay new flooring throughout & decorate too. Hope to finish by end June
DS born 2010 and BLW since July 2010
twilightfan

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 05 May 2013, 08:18

rosie_t_rivLINter wrote:Ugh. Well, we have some stuff to do this weekend...

- pot up the plants we bought last weekend (me and TheWriggler)
- check out the internal doors I stashed in the shed & see if we can make them fit. (me and DP)
- remove the bricks from the garden. (DP and TheWriggler)
- mow the lawn and rake it. (DP)
- weed the garden and sew grass seed. (DP and possibly me)

We did #1 yesterday, plus some weeding of the front garden. #3-5 will be done today by DP while I take the boys to Woodchips (a kids group)
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby skip » 05 May 2013, 10:24

Def add pics of DIY successes to the Flickr group, all sounds exciting.

2 coats of paint done and looking good. Will need another coat though, and then colour on one wall. I'm making a fabric covered pinboard for above my desk and some frames for prints/posters as well. MIL was passing Ikea yesterday and picked up the fabric I wanted for a curtain too... :) All coming together slowly!
skip

PreviousNext

Return to Crafternet