Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby felizefun » 13 May 2014, 16:00

What a lovely cake. Well done!
felizefun

Postby Bod » 15 May 2014, 13:09

Thanks - I was really happy with how it turned out although I still haven't perfected super smooth fondant!!
Sleep deprived mama to babybod (may 2010)
Bod

Postby fourweewonders » 11 Aug 2014, 19:52

In a moment of madness I promissed pfb that I'd make him a harry potter flying car cake for his birthday.

I can rent the tin (below in link) from local cake supplies shop. I have a few wuestions.

1.Could i fill a cake that thick, without misshaping the car, will it be dry if i dont?

2. Im planning on icing in a pale colour of roll out icing then going over with the blue, i saw this on one of those cake shows on the food network, it makes the windows more realistic. but whats best for the details.

3.any experiance of geting printed edible paper images-i'd like harry and ron in the car, will the sellers on ebay do this or will the refuse on copywrite grounds, basicly im looking for someone slack that'll do it for me

http://www.craftcompany.co.uk/index.php ... tAodyGMAkg
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby weasley » 11 Aug 2014, 21:04

How cool! Scoot would love that too.

1. I'd split the cake carefully and fill with jam, then buttercream the whole car before the fondent.
2. You can get silver luster dust at the cake shop. If you mix it with a small dash of vodka or gin, you can paint it onto to white fondent for details like vents/badges/mirrors etc.
3. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-Your-Own-P ... 3f3018f945 I got a print of a friend's newspaper from these guys. You could mail and ask about Harry/Ron. If you do you an icing sheet, put it in the freezer for five mins before you want it, it pops right off. Peeling it rarely works.

Good luck! xx
Mammy to Scoot(4.7.08) and Toot(4.11.10) and Ducks(26.08.13)
weasley

Previous

Return to Crafternet