Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby qbm » 05 Aug 2013, 19:33

Brilliant. Thank you again BC :)
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Fozza » 05 Aug 2013, 23:40

Wedding cake has been baked, filled, iced and stacked. Tomorrow I will place flowers strategically....mostly draped over 1 corner but may disguise the dodgy bits!
It's humongous and very heavy. I am going to struggle to deliver it!

I found the best tip for putting ribbon on cakes..maybe I knew this...maybe you do this...
Cut to length, dip it in warm water, remove excess water. Wrap around, secure the overlapping part with a pin or icing. The water and sugar form a glue.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby Fozza » 07 Aug 2013, 12:22

Pic on Flickr.
Mum to
Fozza

Postby blackberrycrimble » 07 Aug 2013, 16:45

That's lovely FOZ, I like the round and square combo.
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 09 Aug 2013, 13:15

<shuffles in nervously>

This thread scares me but I have to make a birthday cake for TheWriggler next week, sometime on his actual birthday after returning from a funeral in Newcastle. To say next week is busy is a bit of an understatement!

He has asked for a Mater cake. I have cheated and ordered fairy cakes and Cars muffin toppers to go on them so we are ok for party guest cakes. I want to decorate our standard birthday cake (chocolate cake) so it looks like grass with a road going over the top of it. I can then just put the Mater duplo character we have on top of the cake and ta-dah! a Mater Cake.

Good idea? What's the easiest way to make the topping? I usually just make chocolate icing and try to make it look like the mess is artistic rather than due to my complete lack of talent!

HELP ME! :wink: :? :)
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby Fozza » 09 Aug 2013, 19:47

Its a great idea Rosie. I would make green buttercream for the grass with some black fondant icing rolled an cut into the curvey shape of the road. Some white lines will help make it road like.
Mum to
Fozza

Postby emzit » 23 Aug 2013, 10:14

So muncher's birthday is tomorrow, party Sunday and I am trying to organise the cake... aaarrgh!

First attempt at fondant icing, have got my colours, got jam to put in the middle of the cake and around the outside, got a little spreader to smooth it all out... but still more questions!

I guess it depends on how messy I am but do you think I would need to put some decoration around the base, or would cutting it off look OK? If I wanted to put stuff around, what would I use?

And what is the best way to go about the actual cake decorating - do it on the cake board or something else and move it?

I also wanted to cut out muncher's name in fondant and stick on as well - what's the best way to make sure it actually sticks to the main icing?

Thank goodness we've got lovely toppers from Etsy and I don't have to worry about any other fancy stuff...
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby blackberrycrimble » 23 Aug 2013, 11:26

Base of cake - if you are VERY neat you can leave it but a ribbon, piping, or rolled strip of fondant covers a multitude of sins.

Decorating on or off board - are you covering your board? If not, you could do it straight on to the board but I tend to start off at least on another board (you could use a chopping board). But then you must either a) move the cake to the board before it dries to smooth the sides (as inevitably moving it means some sort of finger marks etc in soft fondant) OR b) leave it overnight until it is dry so you don't leave any marks, move to board and then decorate. If you have time, b is best (IMO)

Fozza wrote:Its a great idea Rosie. I would make green buttercream for the grass with some black fondant icing rolled an cut into the curvey shape of the road. Some white lines will help make it road like.

Sticking on cut out bits - brush with tiny amounts of water. You can use clear alcohol, or buy special glue but for flat bits in my experience water works just as well. Some would say boil e water. I don't bother.

Good luck

Rosie, totally missed you post, how is it going/gone?
blackberrycrimble

Postby emzit » 23 Aug 2013, 11:46

Thanks BC - my piping is rather dodgy so was keen to not do any and hadn't thought of rolled fondant!

The board is not going to be covered because I'm sure I'll mess it up! Cakes are made today, will ice tomorrow so will do it on something else and move.

I'll let you know how we get on!
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 23 Aug 2013, 14:53

blackberrycrumble wrote:Rosie, totally missed you post, how is it going/gone?

Aw, thanks! I totally chickened out. I was up north for a funeral the day before his birthday, got back home at 2am and DP had negotiated with TheWriggler that he would come with me in the morning to choose a cake from the shop. I have to say it was a bit of a relief! I was knackered and already had enough to do.

I feel a bit guilty that his last 2 birthday cakes have been shop ones, but then he was happy with them and life happens doesn't it? Maybe I should do a cake craft course in time for next year ;-)

We did have great fun together using white icing to stick the (bought) cake toppers on the (bought) cupcakes, so all was not lost. :D
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby Fozza » 23 Aug 2013, 20:19

Don't feel bad Rosie.

I always Ice it on the board. Any mess wipes off well. You can ice the board after but not essential I have only iced two and I find it tricky. I really like using small balls alternating colours on the bottom...although ribbon is infinitely quicker.

I've done a Stegosaurus this week. It's cute.
Mum to
Fozza

Postby blackberrycrimble » 23 Aug 2013, 20:22

Hmm I might try icing after. I always ice boards but do it before putting the cake on. But I only ever use ribbon really. Boring but quick.

pics of steggy please?
blackberrycrimble

Postby Fozza » 23 Aug 2013, 20:46

On Flickr :-) fbook over the weekend.
Was feeling really pleased and wondered why I don't just do it for real and then A woke up from his nap and peed in the kitchen. 10mins before it was due for collection! Omg THAT is why!
Mum to
Fozza

Postby emzit » 24 Aug 2013, 12:21

Cake is finished! Hurrah! I used suggestions from both of you, BC and Fozza, so thank you!

It looks slightly amateur but much, much better than I had hoped so I'm really happy. It's double height, blue icing, DH did a white circle (this is the amateur bit, he didn't cut the edges very well) with a blue 2 to go on top with Gruffalo and Mouse. We skipped the name in the end. I put the 2 on a bit wonky but repositioned the toppers to fix it and actually it looks better. We did alternating blue and white balls around the outside to hide the bottom.

Muncher is going to go mental tomorrow. He's already super excited about it being his birthday and his party and the presents and blowing candles out, I can't wait to see his little face... :bsmile
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby blackberrycrimble » 24 Aug 2013, 12:42

Sounds great, emzit, well done! Cam we see a pic? Did you get your toppers from etsy did you say? Care to share a link? I did a gruffalo's child a while ago and would be interested to look at how much that sort of thing goes for. Thanks.

Fozza - yes, that. Or I live in fear of one of us getting D&V when I have a cake to do.
blackberrycrimble

PreviousNext

Return to Crafternet