Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby PerpetualMadness » 12 May 2013, 21:15

I am making another f***ing dragon/dinosaur cake for P this weekend. This will be the third (1st and 5th birthdays being the others).

Can't I do something new? <whiny voice>
PerpetualMadness
 
Posts: 17811
Joined: 13 Oct 2007, 20:37

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby cloudcuckoo » 12 May 2013, 21:31

Apparently, the cake wasn't the 'real' Cinderella because there shouldn't have been sugar flowers on the blue skirt or a sparkly petticoat at the front. Both of which were there to distract from less-than-brilliant sugar paste work. Oh, to be as omniscient as a 3 year old. Actually, part of the issue was Mattel's, whose doll really is just a barbie in a blue dress, and nothing like the Disney girl. Will try and get onto Flickr later in the week.
Two girls, Bug (2010) and Bobs (2007) in the cloud-nest, and a boy, Boo, too (February 2014)
cloudcuckoo
 
Posts: 3358
Joined: 29 Mar 2008, 18:05
Location: Sevenoaks, UK

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby Kanga » 18 May 2013, 12:52

I have just got a number 1 cake tin for ds but wondering about the cake to go in it. The instructions say to use 6.5 cups of pound cake mixture but do you think it has to be pound cake? Is it firmer to hold the shape? Or could I do marble cake for example?
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga
 
Posts: 5383
Joined: 25 Sep 2008, 15:42

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby weasley » 18 May 2013, 17:07

Kanga wrote:I have just got a number 1 cake tin for ds but wondering about the cake to go in it. The instructions say to use 6.5 cups of pound cake mixture but do you think it has to be pound cake? Is it firmer to hold the shape? Or could I do marble cake for example?



You can do any cake you like. I'd only worry about how firm it needs to be if you're planning on stacking cakes or adding tons of heavy models. X
Mammy to Scoot(4.7.08) and Toot(4.11.10) and Ducks(26.08.13)
weasley
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:59
Location: Swindon

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby Kanga » 18 May 2013, 17:33

weasley wrote:
Kanga wrote:I have just got a number 1 cake tin for ds but wondering about the cake to go in it. The instructions say to use 6.5 cups of pound cake mixture but do you think it has to be pound cake? Is it firmer to hold the shape? Or could I do marble cake for example?



You can do any cake you like. I'd only worry about how firm it needs to be if you're planning on stacking cakes or adding tons of heavy models. X


Awesome, that's what I was hoping! Now to figure out how much I need to fill it. Think I'll do a trial one before the day!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga
 
Posts: 5383
Joined: 25 Sep 2008, 15:42

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby Kanga » 20 May 2013, 08:50

I made my number 1 yesterday with my normal marble cake recipe & it is fine. Took more mixture than I was expecting to fill it & I need to butter & flour it better, or buy some cake release!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga
 
Posts: 5383
Joined: 25 Sep 2008, 15:42

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby Kanga » 20 May 2013, 20:40

Back with another question! We are planning a giraffe theme cake & I was going to do it with icing but today saw this

Would I be able to do something similar with 'normal' cake? If I pipe vanilla cake in the bottom of my tin & put chocolate on the top would it work? Or does the white have to be something special?

Maybe I should just stick with butter cream ;)
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga
 
Posts: 5383
Joined: 25 Sep 2008, 15:42

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby Fozza » 20 May 2013, 21:28

I think you have to cook a normal cake longer than the Swiss roll so would look darker. Better to use icing...buttercream or sugarpaste.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza
 
Posts: 8213
Joined: 04 Sep 2007, 09:28
Location: Medway, Kent

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby Kanga » 08 Jun 2013, 19:21

Just finished ds' birthday cake. Pic in Flickr :)

New question too! Dd wants a hello kitty cake. Is there any way to make buttercream white or shall I just go with fondant? Or will some American frosting be whiter than buttercream?
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga
 
Posts: 5383
Joined: 25 Sep 2008, 15:42

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby weasley » 08 Jun 2013, 20:09

Kanga wrote:Just finished ds' birthday cake. Pic in Flickr :)

New question too! Dd wants a hello kitty cake. Is there any way to make buttercream white or shall I just go with fondant? Or will some American frosting be whiter than buttercream?


https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... bf5f85854e

Eta- sorry this look really odd, the rest of my answer about buttercream etc doesn't show.
Last edited by weasley on 09 Jun 2013, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
Mammy to Scoot(4.7.08) and Toot(4.11.10) and Ducks(26.08.13)
weasley
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:59
Location: Swindon

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby Fozza » 08 Jun 2013, 21:34

You can get whitner apparently but have heard using the right butter helps...lurpak is supposed to be whiter. Personally I'd go for fondant it looks really effective for hello kitty.

Love the giraffe cake...what did you use in the end?
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza
 
Posts: 8213
Joined: 04 Sep 2007, 09:28
Location: Medway, Kent

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby Kanga » 09 Jun 2013, 06:25

In the end I did buttercream with a touch of yellow colouring & brown sugar paste for the spots. Plus it's marble cake so sort of giraffe-y on the inside too!

That hello kitty one is cute weasley. I'm planning just her head but we'll see. Think I'll go with sugarpaste, just concerned about shaping it over the ears but I'm sure it'll be fine!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga
 
Posts: 5383
Joined: 25 Sep 2008, 15:42

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby weasley » 09 Jun 2013, 09:28

Kanga wrote:In the end I did buttercream with a touch of yellow colouring & brown sugar paste for the spots. Plus it's marble cake so sort of giraffe-y on the inside too!

That hello kitty one is cute weasley. I'm planning just her head but we'll see. Think I'll go with sugarpaste, just concerned about shaping it over the ears but I'm sure it'll be fine!



BC's technique of two thin layers should help there. Definitely go for own brand fondant from Tesco or Asda as it's much easier to work with than regalice and cheaper. Make sure you've got plenty of excess near the ears so you can stretch and shape without tearing. Have fun. Scoot wants a blinking Star Wars cake and I hate black icing! Thinking of going for a 3D R2D2 to avoid it.

I have been a bit silly and agreed to 6 cake orders in July- argh! Plus Scoot will need one cake for his birthday and one for his party - silly me!
Mammy to Scoot(4.7.08) and Toot(4.11.10) and Ducks(26.08.13)
weasley
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:59
Location: Swindon

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby blackberrycrimble » 09 Jun 2013, 20:59

Can I just have a rant here, in a low key can't really do this on Facebook kind of way?

I just had a request to make a wedding cake (admittedly just for ten people) for 19th June for £20. Um, no. And I just had a quote rejected after I'm knocked about 20% off the price I made it for for a friend. FFS. Argh! Basically I either have to accept making very, very little money, or start doing it much more quickly and sacrifice quality.

Weasley - good going for July. I have nothing in my books and haven't for months. Black icing - could you use dark blue and silver spray instead? Milk way effect?
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble
 
Posts: 7579
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 07:47
Location: Reading, Berks

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby weasley » 09 Jun 2013, 21:44

blackberrycrumble wrote:Can I just have a rant here, in a low key can't really do this on Facebook kind of way?

I just had a request to make a wedding cake (admittedly just for ten people) for 19th June for £20. Um, no. And I just had a quote rejected after I'm knocked about 20% off the price I made it for for a friend. FFS. Argh! Basically I either have to accept making very, very little money, or start doing it much more quickly and sacrifice quality.

Weasley - good going for July. I have nothing in my books and haven't for months. Black icing - could you use dark blue and silver spray instead? Milk way effect?


Don't get me started- people just don't get it. I've actually quit my business and just make for friends and family( and the odd slightly random extended acquaintance) for cost now. Even then people seem to think I'm actually making money. The sailing boat cake I made was a double height 10" cake and 8" second teir with handmade flowers and boat and I only ended up with £35 which covered ingredients and a cup of tea at the cafe. The Iggle piggle cake and 16 cupcakes went for £25; the friend I did them for was quoted £115 by a local shop as it was a dairy, wheat and gluten free cake.
Lucky I don't need to make a living from it. The bloody paper work from the council was more than enough reason to stop never mind the piddly price people think they can pay!

Oh and even dark blue icing scares me in large quantities :wink:
Mammy to Scoot(4.7.08) and Toot(4.11.10) and Ducks(26.08.13)
weasley
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:59
Location: Swindon

PreviousNext

Return to Crafternet

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users