Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby cloudcuckoo » 10 May 2013, 13:38

PNSC's party is this weekend, and somehow I have been convinced to make a Disney (bleurgh) Cinderella (bleurgh) cake. So, I am winging it a bit, and would appreciate a rub on the back and a bit of 'there there, it will be all right'...

The plan is to do one of those really, ahem, delightful, doll in a cake-dress things. Disney Barbie is purchased. Much relief to discover that her bodice is integral and I don't have to fashion one from icing. I have two madeira cakes baking now, one in a 1l pudding basin, one in a 18cm pan. Just realised I didn't line the tin, hope the cake release spray is as good as I remember. The recipe was for 2 pudding basins, so winging it too on how far to fill the bowl. Put the leftovers in bun tins. They look like omelettes rising, is that normal?

Now, what's the best way to ice her dress? Sugar paste or butter icing? And will royal icing piping stick onto sugar paste, or slide off?
Two girls, Bug (2010) and Bobs (2007) in the cloud-nest, and a boy, Boo, too (February 2014)
cloudcuckoo

Postby blackberrycrimble » 10 May 2013, 13:41

<pats CC on back and says reassuring things>

I'd sugarpaste the dress, trying to make it hang in folds, but if you are more comfortable doing butter icing, do that! Piped royal icing will stick to the sugarpaste fine (just make sure it is neither too sloppy or too stiff).

Good luck!
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble

Postby Fozza » 10 May 2013, 14:40

Wss^ I just did a bump cake in a Pyrex bowl. I used round tins to get the height rather than risk the bowl being too deep to cook thru.

It will be fine. I hated the thought of a princess castle but I hope I made it tasteful.

One Q... do you have to hack the dolls legs off? Can you tell I haven't researched this yet?
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby cloudcuckoo » 10 May 2013, 15:50

No, I plan to dig through to make a space for the legs, or possibly cut and shut the cake around her. The top of the bowl cake rose up like a volcano towards the end of baking, but it is cooked through. And, let's face it, it's a 3 year old's party cake - it's all about looks, not taste, and Mattel have taken care of 50% of the looks.

Fozza, I did a Rapunzel castle for Bits' 5th birthday cake.It was okay, even if it was pink. The highlight was the towers leaning in a Pisa-like fashion because I had made my own swiss rolls and they weren't as structurally sound as bought ones would have been.That, and Z picking up the smallest tower in it's entirety and shoving it in her mouth...
Two girls, Bug (2010) and Bobs (2007) in the cloud-nest, and a boy, Boo, too (February 2014)
cloudcuckoo

Postby blackberrycrimble » 10 May 2013, 15:56

Lol, yes, all about the looks at that age!

I did a rapunzel castle for Sybil's birthday but luckily she hasn't seen the film so I got away with mosty grey proper castle with a small purple turret on the top.
blackberrycrimble

Postby cloudcuckoo » 10 May 2013, 16:00

Unfortunately, Bits wanted exactly the castle she had seen in a cake decorating book...

Are fondant icing and sugar paste the same thing? I may have picked up the wrong thing in haste...
cloudcuckoo

Postby blackberrycrimble » 10 May 2013, 16:09

Officially, fondant icing is something you pour, but lots of people call sugarpaste fondant. Confusing. If you've got a block of stuff to roll, that's the right thing. You can buy special icing sugar to make pouring fondant though.

I'm terribly mean and tell F and S that they'll get something like the things they point to. So far, so not too bad.
blackberrycrimble

Postby Bod » 11 May 2013, 23:27

Wow. Sounds great. I remember one from my childhood which had Barbie in a dress (bowl cake). I loved it.
I baked cakes in bowls for ds's first birthday (alien coming out of a spaceship) and they came out fine.
I also wanted to say thanks for your help on the Thomas cake it turned out well and ds was thrilled.
Sleep deprived mama to babybod (may 2010)
Bod

Postby babydsmummy » 12 May 2013, 18:44

Does anyone have any ideas for a very simple animal cake for J's 2nd? I'm not the best at cake decorating, although D's tractor last year was pretty impressive by my standards! Square pieces seem easier than trying to make an animal though! The only things he really shows any interest in are animals and he especially likes cows (everything moos), birds and tigers. Inspirational hey?!
Mummy to two amazing boys: D (Oct 08) and J (June 11)
babydsmummy

Postby blackberrycrimble » 12 May 2013, 18:51

http://www.sfcakes.co.uk/index.php/Nove ... s/Cow-Cake

How about something like this?

Or, you could just do the black patch pattern with a 2 in the middle.
blackberrycrimble

Postby babydsmummy » 12 May 2013, 19:02

That's cute, thanks. I do want it to be recognisable to him - I think a cow pattern would be too subtle for our J!! It looks fairly simple to cut the right shapes out for that one though.
Mummy to two amazing boys: D (Oct 08) and J (June 11)
babydsmummy

Postby Fozza » 12 May 2013, 20:26

That cow looks good.

My friend wants an ed sheeran cake for her daughter. Wish me luck.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby blackberrycrimble » 12 May 2013, 20:27

I had to google him.

GOOD LUCK
blackberrycrimble

Postby weasley » 12 May 2013, 20:59

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 2218c5f3af

I made this cow cake for Scoot's school sale and it was super easy. Pyrex bowl cakes stuck together with buttercream, covered with white sugar paste and details. Made the legs with sugar paste too.
Mammy to Scoot(4.7.08) and Toot(4.11.10) and Ducks(26.08.13)
weasley

Postby blackberrycrimble » 12 May 2013, 21:08

I knew someone had done a cow!
blackberrycrimble

PreviousNext

Return to Crafternet