Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby TravellingMum » 01 Feb 2013, 09:26

Just to say, I have made the fondant for the ribbons and bows...it was really straight forward! I am even tempted to search on youtube about how to make flowers...you know just to be a bit 'fancy'! This is fun, a whole new world of cakes is opening for me!!!
jvnT - thank you!!! Now I am tempted to try your animal one for Wee Monkey's birthday!
Mum to Little Panda and Wee Monkey
TravellingMum

Postby Fozza » 03 Feb 2013, 08:50

Yay! Roses are pretty easy...get lots of little balls, press them down unevenly so they are very thin on one side. Wrap and overlap around each others. Curl back the edges of the outer petals.

Princess castle cake: I decided on a White Castle with terracotta tiled turret rooves. The base cake will be like the garden. I am going to add colour with vines and pink and purple (requested colours) flowers. I am half way thru the roof and regret the colour. It looks like chocolate buttons and I can't see it going with pink or purple and might look like just a Spanish villa!!!! Argh. I should have done it grey or not been so stubborn and just gone pink or purple. I'll add it to Flickr for your opinion x
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby Fozza » 09 Feb 2013, 01:01

Done. Added the photo to flickr
Mum to
Fozza

Postby TravellingMum » 09 Feb 2013, 02:51

Cake sounds great - I need to check it out!

Well the ballet cake went down well, so much so I was asked to make another cake for my other friends birthday in March. She was tinkerbell - but I think I am going to say no. The major reason is that it is Wee Monkey's birthday the day before so I will be busy for his 1st birthday. But also ... how on earth do I do a tinkerbell cake?? Doing it for my kids is one thing, but I realised the stress of doing it for others kids is too much for me - especially when they are 6 and have expectations! I also found after this one, how jolly expensive it is making cakes here! I must have used 1kg of butter alone and butter is just crazy expensive here (it's like 3x what it is in the UK) never mind all the other ingredients. You just can't keep doing that every month or so depending on whose birthday is coming next!!

Enjoying looking at all your cakes, and will be back when it is Wee Monkey's birthday
Mum to Little Panda and Wee Monkey
TravellingMum

Postby Fozza » 24 Feb 2013, 10:53

TrM, I can't do more than one a week so you are right to turn it down.

I made some minions. Uploading to Flickr now.
Mum to
Fozza

Postby catie_lou » 02 Mar 2013, 17:58

Wow a place to ask stupid questions and get a sensible answer. In the last 2 weeks I have made a Caterpiller in the shape of a 3 with rainbow cake and a I am just completing a glorious pink hello kitty cake. My only problem with the kitty cake is that I may have over whipped the buttercream icing as every time I tried to smooth it out it had air bubbles in it. I gave up in the end and it has a rough and ready look.

What consistancy buttercream would you use to cover a cake. I had it at what I use for cupcake icing.
catie_lou

Postby Fozza » 02 Mar 2013, 21:12

I don't use buttercream often but I would say it needs to be fairly soft by adding milk or water. I wouldn't imagine you can over whip buttercream??? I beat mine for ages....the longer the better. My tip is to get a hot knife (soak in hot water) to smooth over the top.
Mum to
Fozza

Postby blackberrycrimble » 21 Mar 2013, 08:27

Help experienced cake shapers! fozza and weasley, you've both done castles/towers recently? Sybil has asked for a rapunzel tower (zzzzzz) so I am doing a square grey castle tower with a purple bit on top. I have three 4 inch square cakes to make the tower, stacked on top of each other. How do I put sugarpaste on it?! I can't imagine covering top down will work, so should I lie it on the side and cover three sides and patch on the 4th, or cut separate pieces for each side. Thanks!
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble

Postby blackberrycrimble » 21 Mar 2013, 12:30

Stand down, I did the three sides then one thing.
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble

Postby weasley » 21 Mar 2013, 13:05

Lol. Glad you managed. I did side by side for Scoot's castle and lay down and roll method for niece's. both worked fine.
Have baby shower cake to make for tomorrow- nearly let that one slip me by, my brain is somewhat woolly! X
Mammy to Scoot(4.7.08) and Toot(4.11.10) and Ducks(26.08.13)
weasley

Postby Spanner » 21 Mar 2013, 16:26

Just popping in to say I managed to make a moon birthday cake all by myself so I have learned a lot from you guys :-) It was a chocolate sponge hemisphere sliced in half with choc buttercream. I covered it with more buttercream and covered with grey fondant. I used white with a little bit of black blended on to give a slightly marble effect. Craters made with the back of a teaspoon. I put it in a circular board covered in black fondant with some silver stars and sprinkled the whole thing with silver glitter. I wimped out making the requested alien to go on top and bought a plastic one! He held a flag saying happy birthday. Very proud!
DS March 2007
DD1 June 2009
DD2 Feb 2014
Spanner

Postby Fozza » 21 Mar 2013, 22:46

Spanner that sounds great.

Hope it's going ok BC. I rolled a piece round the side (turrets were round) and a circle piece on top.
Mum to
Fozza

Postby Mummyto1 » 22 Mar 2013, 09:17

Is there a separate cake crafters flickr group? I'd love to see your creations but can't see them on the general crafters flickr pool...

I'm such a novice but I LOVE making birthday cakes for the kids. Last year's pirate ship was my favourite yet. This year I wimped out on the basis of being 39 weeks pregnant - L requested a flat cake with pictures of monsters on (phew!). So I just made a magnolia street bakery layered vanilla birthday cake, and then I found a company who print your own pictures onto edible paper. BIL is an artist and L always gets him to draw monsters for him when he's round, so I sent off some of BILs pictures and put them on top. Super easy and went down well, but I'm looking forward to getting creative again next year and would love to file some ideas away...
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby weasley » 22 Mar 2013, 12:45

Mummyto1 wrote:Is there a separate cake crafters flickr group? I'd love to see your creations but can't see them on the general crafters flickr pool...

I'm such a novice but I LOVE making birthday cakes for the kids. Last year's pirate ship was my favourite yet. This year I wimped out on the basis of being 39 weeks pregnant - L requested a flat cake with pictures of monsters on (phew!). So I just made a magnolia street bakery layered vanilla birthday cake, and then I found a company who print your own pictures onto edible paper. BIL is an artist and L always gets him to draw monsters for him when he's round, so I sent off some of BILs pictures and put them on top. Super easy and went down well, but I'm looking forward to getting creative again next year and would love to file some ideas away...

They are on the main page but probably lost under the recent Mother's Day swap pics etc.

Monster Akers sounds cool! X
weasley

Postby weasley » 22 Mar 2013, 12:47

In the middle of a last minute baby shower cake. Tatty teddy made and waiting to sit on the top.
weasley

PreviousNext

Return to Crafternet