Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby MissKitty » 01 Jul 2012, 08:21

bananacustard wrote:I've done a few Ruby wedding cakes recently - pics on my blog if they help at all (http://thecornflowercakecompany.wordpress.com). They do all have numbers on but I think they are simple and contemporary (and no coloured shell piping - ick!)


Loving the butterflies especially :) The combination of embossed and delicately perched fluttery bodies is great! On my to do list is to speak with family to find out what the Golden couple are into, and what really symbolises or epitomises their marriage. They're my uncle and aunt BUT they have lived in Canada all their married lives so I've only had a distant (literally) relationship with them, although we get on fantastically well when we meet or otherwise communicate. And they don't know about the cake or the surprise party when they visit in a few weeks... Fortunately it doesn't need to be a big cake - feeding 20-25 people max. My aim is simple but effective, as I have limited time now I'm back at work. I shall nonetheless start assembling some gold themed supplies - because half the fun for me is the shopping and discovery :)
Mommy to a June 2011 LO
MissKitty
 
Posts: 2368
Joined: 26 Dec 2011, 15:29
Location: West Midlands

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby SevilleOranges » 01 Jul 2012, 10:09

wow they are amazing!!!! how did you get the gruffalo to stand up? I would love to know how you made her so that I can try and replicate the gruffalo!

I think I've seen your blog before and I love the chicken cake sooo much!
Mummy to BigBrother 07/08 and LittleSister 03/11
SevilleOranges
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: 27 Nov 2008, 20:39

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby Spanner » 01 Jul 2012, 16:45

You are all scaring me with this technical talk! FIL has commissioned me to make cake for MILs 60th party which is for about 50 people in a hotel. To date my most ambitios creations have been a fort and a ladybird with a less than professional finish (although they were very tasty if i say so myself). Any ideas or advice? I thought i might just go for 60 as i have done numbers before with hired tins. Each digit would be a sponge made with 5 eggs. Will that be enough cake? No clue what flavour to do. MIL and my mum collaborated to make our wedding cake which was lemon so i may use the same recipe. No idea how best to decorate. Party is in september so i think we will be eating a lot of cake over the summer holiday!
DS March 2007
DD1 June 2009
DD2 Feb 2014
Spanner
 
Posts: 3918
Joined: 08 Sep 2007, 20:25

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby Splash » 01 Jul 2012, 18:29

I'm so jealous of all you cake decorators! I would love to be able to do it. I love baking but usually just top with butter icing or icing sugar :oops:

I plan to attempt a proper cake for R's birthday this month. I'm thinking of doing a robot as he loves them and hopefully it will be easyish design to start me off.

If anyone has photos or tips for a robot cake it would be much appreciated.
Mum to R (July 2010), A (Dec 2013).
Splash
 
Posts: 409
Joined: 15 Dec 2010, 20:24
Location: Scotland

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby Woodsies » 01 Jul 2012, 19:01

My step-dad was 60 this week and mum wanted something nice to have with coffee after a posh meal but not cakey, so I made some macaroons with Italian meringue and the lot. I was really chuffed with how they turned out although would have liked more shine on the shells, any ideas? I sieved the almond/icing sugar mixture.

They were pink with white chocolate ganache and fresh raspberries.

Yum.
Mummy to Hannah (November 2005) and Tom (October 2008)
Woodsies
 
Posts: 4542
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 20:49

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby weasley » 01 Jul 2012, 19:26

Spanner wrote:You are all scaring me with this technical talk! FIL has commissioned me to make cake for MILs 60th party which is for about 50 people in a hotel. To date my most ambitios creations have been a fort and a ladybird with a less than professional finish (although they were very tasty if i say so myself). Any ideas or advice? I thought i might just go for 60 as i have done numbers before with hired tins. Each digit would be a sponge made with 5 eggs. Will that be enough cake? No clue what flavour to do. MIL and my mum collaborated to make our wedding cake which was lemon so i may use the same recipe. No idea how best to decorate. Party is in september so i think we will be eating a lot of cake over the summer holiday!


Numbers sound good but much more filddly to decorate than say, a large sheet cake/square with the number on top like Bananacustard's blog cakes (I've done something similar but only in a more 'novelty fashion'). Also, I'm not sure a 5 egg sponge is going to be enough in each number if you choose to do them (though I suppose it depends on the size of the tins). The Lindy Smith chocolate cake recipe I used for my nephew's 8" square cake (quite a tall one mind) used 9 eggs!

I've just finished an 80th a 21st and a rainbow mini cake this week. Have also completed Scoot's castle cake, which has been eaten today at his party. I have a Lego man cake to do for next week and another baby shower cake/cupcakes.

Looking forward to seeing more cakes on the fliker page!
Mammy to Scoot(4.7.08) and Toot(4.11.10) and Ducks(26.08.13)
weasley
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:59
Location: Swindon

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby blackberrycrimble » 01 Jul 2012, 20:27

weasley wrote:
Spanner wrote:You are all scaring me with this technical talk! FIL has commissioned me to make cake for MILs 60th party which is for about 50 people in a hotel. To date my most ambitios creations have been a fort and a ladybird with a less than professional finish (although they were very tasty if i say so myself). Any ideas or advice? I thought i might just go for 60 as i have done numbers before with hired tins. Each digit would be a sponge made with 5 eggs. Will that be enough cake? No clue what flavour to do. MIL and my mum collaborated to make our wedding cake which was lemon so i may use the same recipe. No idea how best to decorate. Party is in september so i think we will be eating a lot of cake over the summer holiday!


Numbers sound good but much more filddly to decorate than say, a large sheet cake/square with the number on top like Bananacustard's blog cakes (I've done something similar but only in a more 'novelty fashion'). Also, I'm not sure a 5 egg sponge is going to be enough in each number if you choose to do them (though I suppose it depends on the size of the tins). The Lindy Smith chocolate cake recipe I used for my nephew's 8" square cake (quite a tall one mind) used 9 eggs!

I've just finished an 80th a 21st and a rainbow mini cake this week. Have also completed Scoot's castle cake, which has been eaten today at his party. I have a Lego man cake to do for next week and another baby shower cake/cupcakes.

Looking forward to seeing more cakes on the fliker page!


I am hopeless with quantities, I'm not a particularly intuitive baker (I like baking but need recipes), but do agree that you might need them to be a bit bigger. I haven't ever used shaped tins (this thread is making me realise quite how much I don't know how to do :? ) so not sure how big they are.

weasley, you are getting so many orders, I am jealous! (but pleased for you of course :) ) are you advertising much or is it mostly word of mouth? I really must start advertising properly but am a bit scared...

Jelly Belly wrote:
bananacustard wrote:Jelly Belly wrote:

You and your mum sound like proper old-school sugarcrafters with the flowers! I need to learn some of that...

We have done the whole crafting flowers by hand thing (there were far too many red roses on my grandparents Ruby anniversary cake - I still bear the scars!) but the daisies will be done using a stamp then prettied up with food colour and a paintbrush. Mum always worked in royal icing with piped decoration but feels it is a bit old fashioned now, hence her loss of confidence. Our team works with her doing the tasty and technical and me adding some easy creative know how.


Ah, I see. You are right there seems to be much less piping and royal icing being done now, which is a bit of a shame in some ways. I royal iced and piped my sisters wedding cake quite a few years ago, it was very difficult! Hats off to your mum.

SevilleOranges wrote:wow they are amazing!!!! how did you get the gruffalo to stand up? I would love to know how you made her so that I can try and replicate the gruffalo!

I think I've seen your blog before and I love the chicken cake sooo much!


To be honest she didn't stand up too well, was very leany by the time she'd been transported to London. But, I know why - not enough drying time. I made the legs separate to the body and attached them afterwards. I should have let the legs dry a lot more. A learning point! Also, using raw spaghetti to hold the bits together might have helped.

Briefly - I modelled the bits with Mexican modelling paste, legs, body, head, arms etc separately, left to dry, then stuck together. Then royal icing and a modelling tool to create the 'fur' - I first did this a few years ago to recreate Sybil's bunny (pic of that on the blog somewhere) for her first birthday cake, and found it works really well. Also covers any imperfections in the paste, perfect! Then used small bits of paste to make all the other bits, prickles, claws, teeth etc.

Thanks re the chicken cake - I loved doing that and seem to be doing a lot of painting on cakes at the moment, which is a bit odd as I am not even marginally artistic - I am good at copying pictures I think!
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble
 
Posts: 7579
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 07:47
Location: Reading, Berks

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby Fozza » 01 Jul 2012, 23:32

I did dh a cake for tomorrow...as he is not here tonight and i havent got him a gift so I thought why not...besides BC has made this into a legitimate hobby now (thanks!). I made my first modelled person, apart from the baby obv. It looks more like Ross from friends than my dh but it looks ok...hope it holds up...I used spagetti but the sugar paste was v soft. Its a golf cake...endless possibilities.

I did a number one cake and it could take a range of quantities and get different thicknesses but I prefer them quite thick. I used 6 eggs in A's cake, iirc.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza
 
Posts: 8213
Joined: 04 Sep 2007, 09:28
Location: Medway, Kent

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby weasley » 02 Jul 2012, 19:49

[quote="bananacustardweasley, you are getting so many orders, I am jealous! (but pleased for you of course :) ) are you advertising much or is it mostly word of mouth? I really must start advertising properly but am a bit scared...![/quote]


Most of my orders are form friends and family who would have asked anyway. The 80th and 21st were for a work friend who did pay but I was too scared to charge full price. The rainbow cake was my gift to a close friend for her birthday and the lego man is for my nephew. The babyshower cakes are a proper order but that is for SIL's work friend so just word of mouth.

Advertising wise, I've put flyers in all the local shops and schools and put stacks of business cards in a few random places. I'm going to offer the PTA at Scoot's new school a cupcake party to raffle and that's the lot for my plans TBH as I went and got a new job straight after resigning so I'll be just as hectic as ever asnd won't 'need' the extra income.

Don't be scared, your cakes are lovely! Go for it. xx

Oh and castle cake pic is of Flikr now.
Mammy to Scoot(4.7.08) and Toot(4.11.10) and Ducks(26.08.13)
weasley
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:59
Location: Swindon

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby Fozza » 03 Jul 2012, 15:34

I put my latest cakes on flickr.
This is the tutorial I followed for the gruffalo http://casacostello.com/2011/05/06/tuto ... -gruffalo/
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza
 
Posts: 8213
Joined: 04 Sep 2007, 09:28
Location: Medway, Kent

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby Jelly Belly » 03 Jul 2012, 17:00

It's a really bad idea to look at the Flickr pics with your children anywhere near the laptop - I now have requests for gruffalo/piano/zebra cakes being chanted at me. I guess the girls approve!
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly
 
Posts: 6079
Joined: 07 May 2008, 20:47
Location: Watford, Hertfordshire

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby Kanga » 03 Jul 2012, 20:09

This is dd's cake from last year http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater

Today I have made a trial of her Mr Funny cake for her to take to preschool tomorrow. Glad I did as I was going to do buttercream but changed it to fondant and think it looks better than buttercream would have done. Will put pics of the real thing on flickr at the weekend!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga
 
Posts: 5383
Joined: 25 Sep 2008, 15:42

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby blackberrycrimble » 03 Jul 2012, 20:33

Link doesn't work for me, Kanga, I may have to FB friend you so I can see it!

Jelly Belly wrote:It's a really bad idea to look at the Flickr pics with your children anywhere near the laptop - I now have requests for gruffalo/piano/zebra cakes being chanted at me. I guess the girls approve!


LOL. Fluff told me today what she wants on her wedding cake.

FOZzy I think I've said before but will say again that I love your animals. They are cute without being garish.

weasley wrote:The 80th and 21st were for a work friend who did pay but I was too scared to charge full price.


You must though, I know I am not practicing what I preach but I am starting to find that people seem happier than I thought they might be about prices. And if they don't want to pay a realistic price, they don't have to. Recently I sat agonising over whether a price I was sending someone was too much. I took a deep breath and sent it. They replied saying they were surprised it wasn't more...

weasley wrote:Advertising wise, I've put flyers in all the local shops and schools and put stacks of business cards in a few random places.


But that would <gulp> mean actually admitting that I'm serious.... eek.

I love the castle.
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble
 
Posts: 7579
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 07:47
Location: Reading, Berks

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby Kanga » 04 Jul 2012, 06:09

Will stick last years on Flickr as well then bc. Mainly cos I love it! :)
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga
 
Posts: 5383
Joined: 25 Sep 2008, 15:42

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby blackberrycrimble » 06 Jul 2012, 10:43

ahhhhh cake morning. Have just completed Darth Jr. Will put pic up. Pic isn't that good because our DSLR's battery has broken :? Am chuffed with it mostly because I did the whole thing really quickly. Which means more profit. Hurrah!

Kanga, just seen your gruffalo, it is very cool.
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble
 
Posts: 7579
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 07:47
Location: Reading, Berks

PreviousNext

Return to Crafternet

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users