Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby blackberrycrimble » 30 Jun 2012, 19:43

Right, we cake decorating/sugarcrafting types (cos much of it is more craft than food) are claiming a portion of this forum. Budge up you lot and don't poke us with your hooks and needles please.

The idea was to have a thread to talk about current projects, discussions of techniques, answering questions from anyone who wants advice. There are, as far as I know, at least three of us here who have cakey decorating businesses, many others who should do, and loads of people who are making and decorating cakes for their LOs.

So, what is everyone doing this week? I made an applique flower cake for the nursery fair today, and this week will be making a mini-darth vader.
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble

Re: Cake Craft discussions and questions thread

Postby Morlyte » 30 Jun 2012, 19:47

DP has requested a victoria sponge for his birthday, although Joe would like me to make another Star Wars wonder I fear he will just have the cake with a flourish of icing sugar on the top!
Morlyte

Postby Jelly Belly » 30 Jun 2012, 19:56

I'm now advising my mother on cake decorating as she seems to have forgotten that SHE taught ME! A retirement cake will be made between us next week involving lots of daisy type flowers to go around the edge and I may or may not do a variegated colour paint job on the petals...
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby Kanga » 30 Jun 2012, 20:01

It is dd's birthday on Wednesday so I am doing a trial of her cake to take to nursery then the party's next weekend. I'm making Mr Funny so mostly just butter cream with fondant hat/shoes etc. I hope anyway! Need it to be fairly easy due to the small cluster feeding one! :)
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Fozza » 30 Jun 2012, 20:23

Baby shower cake was a big success just figuring if I have enough energy left to make dh a cake for his birthday. My sister did a cute hello kitty cake today.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby Marmite » 30 Jun 2012, 20:30

editted
Last edited by Marmite on 29 Dec 2012, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
Marmite

Postby MissKitty » 30 Jun 2012, 20:34

I have a Golden Wedding cake request in the works - for September so plenty of time, but I can't bring myself to do a traditional type of anniversary celebration and don't want a number or any coloured shell piping in sight!

And for myself I have just acquired some Lakeland fondant fancy silicone cases in their sale, and intend to make some dairy and egg free ones that my LO can enjoy, and hopefully go one better than Mr Kipling (because although they are exceedingly good fondant fancies, the chocolate ones need to be chocolate cake and the pink ones need to be strawberry with a blob of jam under the creamy stuff, for heavens sake!).
Mommy to a June 2011 LO
MissKitty

Postby blackberrycrimble » 30 Jun 2012, 20:39

:)

Morlyte wrote:although Joe would like me to make another Star Wars wonder I fear he will just have the cake with a flourish of icing sugar on the top!

You could make it one of the snowy planets? (sorry my knowledge is not that great!)

Jelly Belly wrote:I'm now advising my mother on cake decorating as she seems to have forgotten that SHE taught ME! A retirement cake will be made between us next week involving lots of daisy type flowers to go around the edge and I may or may not do a variegated colour paint job on the petals...

You and your mum sound like proper old-school sugarcrafters with the flowers! I need to learn some of that...

Kanga wrote:It is dd's birthday on Wednesday so I am doing a trial of her cake to take to nursery then the party's next weekend. I'm making Mr Funny so mostly just butter cream with fondant hat/shoes etc. I hope anyway! Need it to be fairly easy due to the small cluster feeding one! :)

Would love to see pictures of all of these cakes if anyone wants to upload them to the flickr group?

FOZzy wrote:Baby shower cake was a big success just figuring if I have enough energy left to make dh a cake for his birthday. My sister did a cute hello kitty cake today.

The babyshower one was great.

Marmite wrote:Its a massive square victoria sponge cake - but he wants gordon on the top pulling a coach with the passangers of the gruffalo mouse snake and fox there are others but he seems to have forgotten them "say thanka ya Big-big" --- I've decided to do them 3D

Wow! I made a gruffalo's child and mouse recently which was lots of fun. Happy to share photos/tips etc if you want them.
blackberrycrimble

Postby blackberrycrimble » 30 Jun 2012, 20:42

MissKitty wrote:I have a Golden Wedding cake request in the works - for September so plenty of time, but I can't bring myself to do a traditional type of anniversary celebration and don't want a number or any coloured shell piping in sight!

And for myself I have just acquired some Lakeland fondant fancy silicone cases in their sale, and intend to make some dairy and egg free ones that my LO can enjoy, and hopefully go one better than Mr Kipling (because although they are exceedingly good fondant fancies, the chocolate ones need to be chocolate cake and the pink ones need to be strawberry with a blob of jam under the creamy stuff, for heavens sake!).

I've done a few Ruby wedding cakes recently - pics on my blog if they help at all (http://thecornflowercakecompany.wordpress.com). They do all have numbers on but I think they are simple and contemporary (and no coloured shell piping - ick!)
blackberrycrimble

Postby Marmite » 30 Jun 2012, 21:00

Editted
Last edited by Marmite on 29 Dec 2012, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
Marmite

Postby blackberrycrimble » 30 Jun 2012, 21:05

Are you a member of the flickr group? (see sticky thread) That would be the easiest way of sharing the photos as I haven't put them on my website (scared of copyright issues).
blackberrycrimble

Postby SevilleOranges » 30 Jun 2012, 21:07

no but I can see it though the link - not sure how to become a member, probably best way for me to share mine once its done lol
Mummy to BigBrother 07/08 and LittleSister 03/11
SevilleOranges

Postby blackberrycrimble » 30 Jun 2012, 21:12

Yes, SO you are right, anyone can view. To be a member you need a flickr account (follow links to sign up) and then I think you need to request to join and someone with admin ability should be able to let you in.

Have put gruffalo pics up.
blackberrycrimble

Postby Fozza » 01 Jul 2012, 06:04

I did a gruffalo too so will add that to Flickr when they let me in.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby Jelly Belly » 01 Jul 2012, 08:02

bananacustard wrote:Jelly Belly wrote:
I'm now advising my mother on cake decorating as she seems to have forgotten that SHE taught ME! A retirement cake will be made between us next week involving lots of daisy type flowers to go around the edge and I may or may not do a variegated colour paint job on the petals...

You and your mum sound like proper old-school sugarcrafters with the flowers! I need to learn some of that...

We have done the whole crafting flowers by hand thing (there were far too many red roses on my grandparents Ruby anniversary cake - I still bear the scars!) but the daisies will be done using a stamp then prettied up with food colour and a paintbrush. Mum always worked in royal icing with piped decoration but feels it is a bit old fashioned now, hence her loss of confidence. Our team works with her doing the tasty and technical and me adding some easy creative know how.
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Next

Return to Crafternet