Hello! New here and after milk advice.

HELLO NEW POSTERS! I know this is tedious but you need to post here first so that we can fully release your membership. It's to prevent the board being strafed by spammers, sorry about the slight inconvenience.

Hello! New here and after milk advice.

Postby JimmyB » 05 Oct 2016, 12:22

Hi there,

Our son is about to turn one and we have been doing BLW since he was six months old. Some days he'll eat loads and others not so much, which we know is all fine, he's only human after all!
We dropped the night feed but he still drinks four bottles of formula a day without fail, again we know this is all fine.
What we're confused about is here in the UK the formula is recommended to only be used until one years of age, there are toddler formulas but the label says only to give two bottles a day, should we now move onto cows milk to top up the feeds?

Thanks,
James
JimmyB

Re: Hello! New here and after milk advice.

Postby EnigmaFish » 05 Oct 2016, 22:16

Hello James, always nice to see a dad around these parts!
So... the formula vs. follow-on milk vs. cow's milk question:
Cow's milk, as you know, isn't recommended as a drink before the age of one.
Follow-on milk is nothing more than a marketing scam. The companies aren't allowed to market formula, so they created (and heavily market) follow-on milk instead. It has absolutely no added benefit that formula doesn't have. I seem to remember reading that it actually has excessively high levels of some vitamins.
Your baby is about to turn one, at which point you can give him cow's milk to drink. Should you throw out the formula? No. By all means, use up whatever powder or cartons you have. After that, if you prefer to give him formula instead of cow's milk, do so. My point is that there's absolutely no need to change to follow-on milk. :mona
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Re: Hello! New here and after milk advice.

Postby JimmyB » 09 Oct 2016, 13:25

Thanks Enigma.

As I mentioned he's still drinking four bottles a day which is 880ml is it okay to give him this much cows milk a day? I thought the recommended amount was 350ml? Or is that just another internet myth?

Thanks again,
James
JimmyB

Return to New member introductions