Researching the options

HELLO NEW POSTERS! I know this is tedious but you need to post here first so that we can fully release your membership. It's to prevent the board being strafed by spammers, sorry about the slight inconvenience.

Researching the options

Postby Rosella » 03 Apr 2012, 18:52

Hello,

Have joined the Forum on recommendation of a BLW friend of mine. I know a couple of ladies who have BLWed and a couple who have mixed.

My son (Miles) is 20wks old - will turn 6mths May 15th - we have been invited to the Weaning Group run by the Health Visitor and Dietician at the base Medical Centre (I am in Germany with British Forces) I have read the BLW book and skimmed through the cookbook.

We are beginning to include Miles in our meals a bit more and he is generally in the kitchen when I am cooking, and ready t see what happens as he takes more of an interest.

Don't really have any specific questions, except guidance on getting started - the Health Visitor said she won't be able to give me support on BLW as it is not recommended, going to Weaning Group to get the spectrum of advice.

That's about it for my intro :)
Mum to Miles Nov 2011

Independant Consultant for The Pampered Chef - http://www.facebook.com/HollysPamperedChef
Rosella

Re: Researching the options

Postby Jelly Belly » 03 Apr 2012, 18:59

Interesting that your HV says it's not recommended - the Birth to Five book that they give to new parents gives weaning advice that is BLW in all but name!

Getting started is quite easy. Ditch the salt in your cooking, cook your veg for a little longer so that it is soft enough to squish between your tongue and the roof of your mouth and let Miles pick and choose what he wants a share of.

It has always been recommended to offer finger foods from 6 months of age so all you are doing is skipping the puree stage and going straight to sharing family meals. Is there a particular aspect that you are concerned about?
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby Rosella » 03 Apr 2012, 19:11

I think probably getting the support of those around me.

Know that my friends in the UK will support me and offer me their experiences but have only been in Germany since August so although I have met quite a few people I don't know them so well - 2 of the ladies seem very against BLW - and it will be them I need to support me.

I think as long as I can keep Miles content with BF until he starts taking an interest I will be confident enough but not if he starts to increase feeds and get unsettled.

The main aspect which seems conflicted is the issue of iron deficiency in breastmilk after 6mths.
Mum to Miles Nov 2011

Independant Consultant for The Pampered Chef - http://www.facebook.com/HollysPamperedChef
Rosella

Postby Jelly Belly » 03 Apr 2012, 19:20

There is no iron deficiency in breast milk after 6 months! There is less iron than you find in formula but most of the stuff in formula isn't actually absorbed whereas the iron in BM is in the perfect form for babies and they get the lot!

Have your new German friends said why they are against it? There are lots of concerns that are easily addressed (like the iron one above!) when armed with the facts.

I think I should warn you at this point about the 6 month growth spurt. The Chooby waited until she was nearer 7 months for hers and fed every 1-2 hours for 2 weeks (this was a pretty extreme spurt, most babies are kinder than that!). It had nothing to do with hunger for food, she wanted milk (which has far more calories) and later upped her food intake at her own pace.
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby SparklePetal » 03 Apr 2012, 19:34

Hello and welcome to the forum!

It's great to get a good idea of your options before you need to make the final decision. Obviously all of us here think BLW is the bee's knees :wink: but honestly traditional weaning is not 'wrong' or 'bad' and if it's really important to you to have the support/approval of the people close to you then that might be your simplest option. You can always approach it with the same attitude that BLW-ers apply - that solid food is just supplementing milk at first and that baby gets to decide how much they want to eat.

If, however, you think that BLW is really what you want to be doing, then you need to get your research done and start to educate those around you as well as yourself! It's safe, easy and a really relaxed way to introduce solid foods!

Rosella wrote: 2 of the ladies seem very against BLW - and it will be them I need to support me.
Many of us have had this problem - with our parents and in-laws! It can be the case in many families that the people you really would like to be alongside you show open disapproval of your parenting choices. It's hard, but in the end you are the parent and you are not just plucking ideas out of thin air - you're choosing based on logical reasons and in your family's best interests! I suppose it depends on your personality and confidence how much you want to fight your corner on this. I always tend to think I know best and couldn't care less what the HV thinks... :wink:

Rosella wrote:I think as long as I can keep Miles content with BF until he starts taking an interest I will be confident enough but not if he starts to increase feeds and get unsettled.

Hmm, don't mean to worry you, but you'll need to ready yourself for a growth spurt around 6 months. They do tend to want more milk at that age. And to wake in the night (hungry) even if they haven't done so for a while. And many HVs and general acquaintances will tell you this means it's time to start spooning in puree. Actually it's a better idea to give more milk :D That's got more calories than anything else you can offer (except mashed potatoes made with butter and double cream I believe!) and will be the quickest way to satisfy hunger.

Rosella wrote:The main aspect which seems conflicted is the issue of iron deficiency in breastmilk after 6mths.

Yes many people think iron is a problem. In actual fact breastmilk can continue to supply almost enough iron past 6 months, and you only need to begin to provide it from solid food sources. The iron content of breastmilk is much lower than that of formula... but it is extremely bio-available, meaning your LO gets the benefit of all of it. As long as a tiny amount of solid food is starting to be eaten at around 6 months, iron should not be any problem at all.

A good overview of the BLW philosophy can be found at http://www.rapleyweaning.com/assets/blwleaflet.pdf and of course the members of the forum can answer any and every question you have (including on the subject of weaning!)
Mum to DD Snow White (30/11/08) and DS Bluebird (13/09/11)
<><
http://sparklepetal.wordpress.com
SparklePetal

Postby Rosella » 03 Apr 2012, 20:09

Thank you both for your replies,

The most important person in the whole process is obviously Miles so it'll be upto him in the end, and my husband (who will be away for 2mths from Thurs - hence why we are thinking weaning now) is supportive of BLW.

One of the ladies who was not positive had BLWed her now 2yr old and thought that he was fussier than her AKed daughter - that he wasn't good at new textures etc. To be honest I can't remember the other ladies reasons.

I am happy that we are basically 'skipping' the puree stage - which from what I understand is started earlier at 4mths - and therefore just starting on the finger food stage.

Miles wakes 2 or 3 times between 7.30pm & 7-7.30am atm and am happy for that to continue as long as he needs - talking of which today seems to be an early wake so off to bed for me :)
Mum to Miles Nov 2011

Rosella

Postby SparklePetal » 03 Apr 2012, 20:33

Rosella wrote:One of the ladies who was not positive had BLWed her now 2yr old and thought that he was fussier than her AKed daughter - that he wasn't good at new textures etc.

I think there has been an over-emphasis on BLW 'preventing' fussy eaters. I don't think it does or can. It stops them getting fussy over the introduction of lumps in their puree though :wink: All children seem to have one or more stages at various ages where they are less adventurous about foods. It can be quite extreme - as several on the forum can tell you! BLW is of some help though, if you as the parent can maintain your philosophy that food is not a battle ground and that if you offer a range of healthy options you have to trust your child to eat what they need. If avoiding fussiness was this lady's only reason for trying BLW I suppose she has the right to feel aggrieved that it wasn't magic!
Mum to DD Snow White (30/11/08) and DS Bluebird (13/09/11)
<><
http://sparklepetal.wordpress.com
SparklePetal

Postby KateGladTidings » 04 May 2012, 12:58

Hi "Rosella" welcome to the forum :). Good to see you've had some sound advice already! Do keep asking stuff - most people here don't bite (one or two maybe...)

Love Rosella's BLW friend (mit fussy toddler) xx
Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Return to New member introductions