New study out on BLW, it's all looking good...

HELLO NEW POSTERS! I know this is tedious but you need to post here first so that we can fully release your membership. It's to prevent the board being strafed by spammers, sorry about the slight inconvenience.

New study out on BLW, it's all looking good...

Postby Aitch » 27 Oct 2010, 20:38

Hello all,
Gill Rapley sent me this last month, which i responded enthusuastically to at the time and then dd2 deleted it from my computer...

However, thanks to the wonders of webmail I managed to retrieve it today, and thought of you all. (Especially those of you with doubting grandparents to contend with.)

So, Gill sayeth:

"I thought you might be interested in this breaking news! There is a fabulous paper just published, which is about as positive as you could wish an academic paper to be, about BLW! It's not in print yet but it's coming. Here's the reference:

Wright CM, Cameron K, Tsiaka M, et al. Is baby-led weaning feasible? When do babies first reach out for and eat finger foods? Matern Child Nutr 2010;10.1111/j.1740-8709.2010.00274.x [doi].

The study used data from the Gateshead Millenium Study, and the lead author is Charlotte Wright - all excellent credentials. In a nutshell, the authors found that, based on when babies began to reach out for food and feed themselves, BLW is "probably feasible for a majority of infants". There is a caveat that it could lead to nutritional problems for infants who are relatively developmentally delayed - but then again, no-one has ever claimed otherwise.

The GMS data show when the babies began reaching out for food and feeding themselves, and how many finger foods they were having (type and frequency) at six and eight months. The authors acknowledge that these babies were born (June 1999-May 2000) before either the six months recommendation or BLW had come into being, and that the parents' reports may therefore represent low parental expectations of their infants' self-feeding capacity, rather than genuine lack of ability. In other words, if they'd given them the opportunity earlier, who knows? So the fact that, on the basis of the data they do have, they are able to conclude that BLW is "probably feasible" for the majority is just great!"

HURRAH! :D
Aitch
Site Admin

Re: New study out on BLW, it's all looking good...

Postby lilmonster » 04 Jan 2011, 22:59

yippee!!

Now to just get my hands on the report and show it to every member of our family...and all our friends. We just surrounded by skeptics!
lilmonster

Postby nanji » 05 May 2011, 18:26

It's very interesting, thank you for posting it!
It's a lot of material to help answering the questions and comments of those who are still skeptical.

Greetings from Chile! :D
Being a mom is not the only thing i am... but it sure is the best! :D
nanji

Postby WizzieL » 06 Jun 2011, 08:39

The current issue of Community Practitioner magazine (the health visitors bible!) has an article on BLW by Gill Rapley. I've not managed to read MiL's copy yet, but may be useful when talking to uninformed HVs!
http://www.commprac.com/about.php?pid=14 (not the article)
WizzieL

Postby tinkerbell » 28 Apr 2012, 19:55

wish it was promoted more by professionals
tinkerbell

Postby meerkatsmum » 28 May 2012, 11:12

I'm looking forward to reading the paper!
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby blue.bear » 04 Jun 2014, 09:52

Thanks for sharing this paper. I'm new in the 'business' so every articles are welcome.

Return to New member introductions