Kitchen spam!

General information on site issues. Here is where you moan about stuff not working, basically.

Moderators: AB&M, skip

Kitchen spam!

Postby Brigitte » 10 Jun 2013, 05:16

So, is it just me, or is the kitchen spam getting out of control? Or is there some kind of spam filter setting that I've missed? Is there anything I can do to filter it out already?
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Re: Kitchen spam!

Postby ToothFairy » 10 Jun 2013, 05:37

It's a bit ridiculous at the moment! I'll deal with it as soon as I've had a shower.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby meerkatsmum » 10 Jun 2013, 05:50

Brigitte, I think that you may not be in the UK...correct me of I'm wrong.

I find the spam is worse when it's the middle of the night in the UK. I assume because all the mods are asleep. When it's day time there, it's usually pretty good. It's just something I've noticed so it may seem worse for you than it is. The other day, almost the whole of the active topics was kitchen spam but it was cleared a few hours later.

Thanks mods for doing your best to stay on top of it!
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby ToothFairy » 10 Jun 2013, 05:55

Lost count there, but I think I just deleted 35 threads! Really do need to go and have my shower now!

Most of the mods (except 3KC) are in the UK, sorry you have to put up with it all until we get up!
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby jvnt » 10 Jun 2013, 06:00

I think it's also because of where they're from - aren't they Russian? So they're 'working' day is similar to mine. There isn't any when I wake up and then it all appears a couple of hours later.

I'm happy to offer my spam zapping services while you're asleep to take the pressure off your mod mornings.
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby meerkatsmum » 10 Jun 2013, 06:26

ToothFairy wrote:Most of the mods (except 3KC) are in the UK, sorry you have to put up with it all until we get up!

Absolutely no need to apologize! We appreciate the work you all do. I was just trying to offer an explanation of why it appears to be worse than it is.
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby 3KiwiChicks » 10 Jun 2013, 07:01

Sorry guys, have been out of action today. I am zapping a good 10-20 before you lot wake up at the moment.... there are still more than that that come on after i am in bed too, but I think today may have looked a lot worse because I was AWOL. My bad. :-)
Three little chicks, all BLWed. Two at school and one preschooler. Not around much any more, but think of you all often.
3KiwiChicks

Postby KateGladTidings » 10 Jun 2013, 07:26

3KiwiChicks wrote:Sorry guys, have been out of action today. I am zapping a good 10-20 before you lot wake up at the moment.... there are still more than that that come on after i am in bed too, but I think today may have looked a lot worse because I was AWOL. My bad. :-)

You're doing a grand job!! Will someone else need to help out while you're moving house?

I was thinking this morning....don't know if this would work, but could we disable the link function for noobs? Like if you wanna post a link, you have to manually apply to a mod to get upgraded? I'm not a techie, so no idea if it would actually work, but it's just something that wouldn't deter actual noobs....it's not until you settle down here that you get the urge to link to pictures of cats in toupes
Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Postby 3KiwiChicks » 10 Jun 2013, 07:37

:-) I shouldnt be out of action for more than a day or two. Will have the laptop and phone with me so should be sorted other than the craziness of actual moving day. FOUR MORE DAYS ARGH! Today Ben and I were in Emergency, so was just one of those unavoidable things.

Will bring up your suggestion Kate. I think the problem with this type of action previously (I wasnt a mod then, so just from memory) was that it kept the mods even busier than the ten min it takes to zap the kitchen people. :-)
Three little chicks, all BLWed. Two at school and one preschooler. Not around much any more, but think of you all often.
3KiwiChicks

Postby KateGladTidings » 10 Jun 2013, 08:51

3KiwiChicks wrote::-) I shouldnt be out of action for more than a day or two. Will have the laptop and phone with me so should be sorted other than the craziness of actual moving day. FOUR MORE DAYS ARGH! Today Ben and I were in Emergency, so was just one of those unavoidable things.

How are the two of you? The knee looks sooooore! :(
Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Postby Brigitte » 10 Jun 2013, 19:24

meerkatsmum wrote:Brigitte, I think that you may not be in the UK...correct me of I'm wrong.

I find the spam is worse when it's the middle of the night in the UK. I assume because all the mods are asleep. When it's day time there, it's usually pretty good. It's just something I've noticed so it may seem worse for you than it is. The other day, almost the whole of the active topics was kitchen spam but it was cleared a few hours later.

Thanks mods for doing your best to stay on top of it!

That makes a lot of sense! I didn't mean to complain about the mods, I was just honestly wondering if there was a spam filter or something that I neglected to click, especially since nobody else seemed to be commenting on the amount of spam.

Thanks mods for doing your best!
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby 3KiwiChicks » 10 Jun 2013, 19:57

Kate wrote:
3KiwiChicks wrote::-) I shouldnt be out of action for more than a day or two. Will have the laptop and phone with me so should be sorted other than the craziness of actual moving day. FOUR MORE DAYS ARGH! Today Ben and I were in Emergency, so was just one of those unavoidable things.

How are the two of you? The knee looks sooooore! :(

Knee is very, very sore. :-( Think I will be visiting the Dr today. Ben is fine. :D Keeps life interesting doesnt it?
3KiwiChicks

Postby TravellingMum » 14 Jun 2013, 05:15

Yup the time zone plays a huge part - i think these spammers are on the same time zone as me. when I log in there are no new posts except all spammy ones...
Grrr so frustrating for all you mods.

I am happy to blitz spammers as well if a different time zone helps.

I do like the idea of not being allowed to have a link in your profile until you ask a mod for the privilege - although have no clue if that is easy to put in or not.

3KC - hope the moving is going well and that you are all well :)
Mum to Little Panda and Wee Monkey
TravellingMum

Postby jvnt » 14 Jun 2013, 05:21

:-) I reckon you can wave to them from where you are TM!
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby Allium » 14 Jun 2013, 05:33

I'm not sure, but I think it'd be possible to make it so new people can't post links until they've posted a certain number of times or been a member for a certain number of days, and then they are allowed to post links automatically after that. So after the initial setup, there wouldn't be any extra work for mods.
Mummy to Twink - 8/05/08, Squishy - 7/02/10 & Flopsy 1/11/12
Allium

Next

Return to Site Matters