Mod intervention

General information on site issues. Here is where you moan about stuff not working, basically.

Moderators: AB&M, skip

Re: Mod intervention

Postby 3KiwiChicks » 22 Apr 2013, 21:43

Hi, coming to this a bit late as have just finished breakfast!

I wanted to offer my assistance if required... was thinking that possibly having someone on a different time might be helpful with spotting things that have gone haywire, or spammy posts?? I usually spot kitchen posts before you lot are awake.

Just a thought. :-)
Three little chicks, all BLWed. Two at school and one preschooler. Not around much any more, but think of you all often.
3KiwiChicks

Postby Aitch » 22 Apr 2013, 21:58

THOSE KITCHEN POSTS... <seethes> cheers for offer, Kiwi, will see what the modders want to do.

and let's just get rid of that farking thread, then. it's what we call in my business 'news sensitive' anyway, so it serves no BLW-related purpose now... that bloody woman could divide even the nicest people, clearly, even after her death. (i will brook NO interference and have NO debate as to whether she was great, not where i come from she wasn't, believe me).

the mods will tell you if i'm wrong but as i understand it what happened was that they came back to the site after a hard day's work at having a life etc and found some reports, looked at them and acted on them. it's definitely happened to me before that you see an email or whatever and respond as if It Must Be Dealt With Now, because, well, someone's written to you and they're upset. The fact that they were upset... but probably got over it the minute they sent you the PM can kind of just pass you by. Maybe it would have been better to leave it, (i'll tell you what would CERTAINLY be better, though, if deletions deleted the whole posts, name and all, so i'll look into that), but hey, it wasn't, and we can all learn from that i think.

so let's fritz the thread in question, shake hands, spit in each others' eyes and raise a glass, virtual or otherwise, to the continued generosity of the lovely mods, and may they succeed in their battle against Quality Kitchens of Manchesterford. Is that okay?
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby CherryPop » 22 Apr 2013, 22:02

Aitch wrote:so let's fritz the thread in question, shake hands, spit in each others' eyes and raise a glass, virtual or otherwise, to the continued generosity of the lovely mods, and may they succeed in their battle against Quality Kitchens of Manchesterford. Is that okay?

Awesome.

And if you want some kitchen-specific modding help - a mod-lite role, as it were, I'd be happy to help (I'd be happy to help with full-on modding if deemed necessary, but I don't think that's the case :D).
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby blackberrycrimble » 22 Apr 2013, 22:05

Cheers Aitch (in both senses). And thanks to the lovely mods. And sorry Lin for blasting you a bit.
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble

Postby PerpetualMadness » 22 Apr 2013, 22:06

Good plan.

And I do appreciate the work the mods do and realise that they have lives and day jobs and are only human in case that needed stating.
PerpetualMadness

Postby AB&M » 22 Apr 2013, 22:14

OK I'm about to fritz it as you say....
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby Aitch » 22 Apr 2013, 22:19

DO IT...
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby KateGladTidings » 22 Apr 2013, 22:22

Cheers aitch <wÍpes spit out of eye>

Tbh, I'm more bemused than ever by this whole thing but glad it's over!
Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 22 Apr 2013, 22:23

bLINg wrote:Right - I am holding up my hands here.

I discussed it with a fellow Mod so we were in agreement about the fact that there was content that was inappropriate. The methodology was my own decision - based on Mumsnet which is the only model I know.

Therefore I deleted the posts that contained what I considered to be comments aimed at an individual and not the content of their post. Thereafter I deleted any further post that referenced one of those previous posts. There was some reasoned and rational debate that addressed some of the more contentious comments and so I left that to stand rather than delete a whole thread.

I found this further up the thread. So it appears nothing was reported to the mods. They certainly didn't suggest that in their message to me.

PerpetualMadness wrote:I would like my edited post removed too. I don't like it hanging on the thread as it stands.

Juddy - I am sorry I let my feelings get the better if me. I didn't intend to attack you personally but I can certainly see that it was very close to the line.

I have to say that I am very surprised that such out of character moderating wasn't the result of a complaint from the people involved.

No worries PM. Like I said, I certainly didn't mean to offend or upset anyone with my comments. I'm sorry if I came across that way.
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby ToothFairy » 22 Apr 2013, 22:24

Aitch wrote:so let's fritz the thread in question, shake hands, spit in each others' eyes and raise a glass, virtual or otherwise, to the continued generosity of the lovely mods, and may they succeed in their battle against Quality Kitchens of Manchesterford. Is that okay?

This. I've been out for the last three nights :scream having a real life, so I missed this. I've offered my help modding before, and I'll offer it again now.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby Aitch » 22 Apr 2013, 23:07

cheers, all who have offered to help out. we will discuss this back at at our top secret headquarters asap, some definite moving on teh modding front happening.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby blackberrycrimble » 23 Apr 2013, 05:22

Just re reports, I was definitely told there had been one.
blackberrycrimble

Postby Svea » 23 Apr 2013, 05:34

Looks like I missed the whole discussion ( hurray!) but just to say two things. I used to mod in a toy forum. It was a hard and thankless task, as there were plenty of off topic threads (as here) that contained opinions and language misunderstandings ( non native speakers) and the complaint button was frequently pressed. It was always tricky to decide what to do with stuff. In comparison, I notice that folks on this forum are generally kinder and more generous with each other, so seemingly the need for moderating posts or threads is much smaller.
I thank you all for being such, and I have on occasion stepped away from threads that just don't interest me in their content, especially if people seem to be getting their knickers in a twist. I like 99% of real posters on here and have no desire to engage in non topical arguments.

There is no accounting for tone, language differences and previous experiences of various posters in forum writings.

So, do I post this or not? * hovers over submit button*
Mama to M since 02/10/07, P since 08/03/10 and O 07/06/13
Svea

Postby skip » 23 Apr 2013, 07:00

Woah, coming to this very late. Not much to add except:

- It may be worth posting brief moderation guidelines in the site matters forum (visible to all), basically outlining the procedure that is followed in the case of inflammatory or upsetting threads, ie: responsibility of posters to keep it polite and to report anything they don't feel able to confront, and responsibility of mods to respond to this by posting a "keep it objective/friendly" warning or PM relevant parties. In the past I've tried to post a "please be nice" warning and been shot down for censorship, so if we realio trulio need a policy then at least let's make it clear what the mods are required to do.

- I did read the original thread and didn't comment because most of what I wanted to say had already been said. I did think the tone began to deteriorate at one point but it seemed to resolve itself towards the end. The main red flag for me when weighing up these things is if any of the posters involved feel like they're unable to participate in other areas of the forum because of it. In the past I've had PMs from weaners saying they're going to take a break from the forum or leave completely because of something that was said (not always directly to them, either). That, for me, is where the line needs to be drawn - I don't think any thread should cause people to want to leave the community. However, in this case, everyone seemed to return to business as usual (and I missed the reporting of the posts so I didn't see what that involved) so I missed all this resulting drama.

- Finally, if you could all head over and troll the shiz out of these "cooking room" spammers that would be much more amusing. :)
skip

Postby blackberrycrimble » 23 Apr 2013, 07:10

Oh (((((((Lin))))))). It was always very clear to me that you were acting on the basis of reports.
blackberrycrimble

PreviousNext

Return to Site Matters