Mod intervention

General information on site issues. Here is where you moan about stuff not working, basically.

Moderators: AB&M, skip

Re: Mod intervention

Postby Cofa's Tree » 23 Apr 2013, 08:42

I'm one of them daily lurkers and occasional posters on here, and from what I can see, the forum has kind of grown organically and all its 'rules' of behaviour likewise i.e. acceptance of a wide variety of parenting styles.

I'm from a pre-computers world, then headed into dial-up modems before my head nearly exploded at the concept of wireless connectivity, and I've been on a lot of forums in my time (including when the Derren Brown forum was closed for good after in-fighting and one avid poster hitting him on the head with an inflatable penis...but that's another story). Without doubt, this has been one of lightest-handled forums in terms of mod intervention, partly because in the short time I've been here, it's rare that it's been needed as far as I can see. That makes it pretty unique. It would be a real shame for that uniqueness to be lost based upon one or two decisions taken in the moment with the best of intentions.

I can't see any real need for change - perhaps the result of all this is a timely reminder that everyone should feel able to speak up in a thread if we feel under attack or if we feel another poster is coming under attack, and then nine times out of ten, it might save a mod having to take action, maybe other than posting a more official 'calm it down guys' message if it's continuing. I'm not sure the thread in question needed intervention because it looks like life had moved on (although I appreciate if it had been reported then mod response was needed in some way), but as long as posts and moderator decisions can be robustly defended, then I do think openness to question those posts and decisions should continue to be encouraged.
Cofa's Tree

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 23 Apr 2013, 08:50

Rahgamuffin wrote:{{lin}} obviously missed a post somewhere, but wanted to say that you did what you thought was best with no guidelines & acted in the interests of the forum & its members - no-one can ask or expect more of you than that.

While I understand the hurt & stress that has led to your resignation, and have to respect your choice, part of me hopes that the others reject your resignation, you have been a wise and kind mod since first you were elevated to the shiny green & think we'd miss your long term thinking and sensible calmness.

My hope for this thread was that noone would ever have to be put in the position that you were over this - to be forced to make a decision with nothing to go on is a horrendous place to be, especially when no decision would be universally approved of.

Yes, this, absolutely (((Lin)))
Mum to two gorgeous girls and one bouncing baby boy.
gingerbreadhouse

Postby 3KiwiChicks » 23 Apr 2013, 08:55

:-( Sorry that things have taken a turn for the worst during 'witching hour' and bedtime around here. Hugs for those who need it. ^^CT is wise and totally agree with what she has said.

Big, huge, ginormous hugs for everyone involved. We are all friends who come from very different backgrounds and from places all over the world. Sometimes its inevitable that words or ideas are going to clash. It is made all the more hurtful as we DO all care about each other and so it really feels like a bestie that we are having a fight with, which hurts. I hope that we can move on from here with very little change, but a timely reminder that there are people on the other end of the computer screen. People that we care about and respect.

(((((BLWing Forumites)))))
Three little chicks, all BLWed. Two at school and one preschooler. Not around much any more, but think of you all often.
3KiwiChicks

Postby VanillaPickle » 23 Apr 2013, 10:18

<white flag>

Malteser fridge cake anybody?

<might stick to craft threads going forward :( >
♥ Handmade & crochet items & gifts - CraftsByFenella ♥
★ currently available via https://www.facebook.com/CraftsByFenella
VanillaPickle

Postby TravellingMum » 23 Apr 2013, 10:21

Well...that is a thread to read through!

Hugs for everyone, and how about generous portions of Chinese takeaway for everyone, to go with the malteaser fridge cake?
Mum to Little Panda and Wee Monkey
TravellingMum

Postby ches » 23 Apr 2013, 10:22

Well, Lin, you will always be Queen of the LED Lights, Defender of Unrenovated Cooking Quarters and the Twirliest of Twirling Namechangers. You have worked thanklessly and seamlessly for this forum for <denial> five minutes, so if you feel it's time to pass the baton, nobody can blame you. But maybe you coukd give us a final <twirl> before you go? (Just DO NOT rename yourself The Iron Mummy or something mmkay.)
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby Jelly Belly » 23 Apr 2013, 10:39

ches wrote:Well, Lin, you will always be Queen of the LED Lights, Defender of Unrenovated Cooking Quarters and the Twirliest of Twirling Namechangers. You have worked thanklessly and seamlessly for this forum for <denial> five minutes, so if you feel it's time to pass the baton, nobody can blame you. But maybe you coukd give us a final <twirl> before you go? (Just DO NOT rename yourself The Iron Mummy or something mmkay.)

This. Hard work and light touch have always been appreciated here - even if it has only been for 5 minutes :wink: - and total understanding if it's just time to let someone else take up the reins in a completely non-flouncy way x

Isn't the Big Spring Clean coming up soon? Pretty sure there will be plenty of twirling (with dusters) happening there. Perhaps the discovery of another tea tsunami....
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby ToothFairy » 23 Apr 2013, 12:52

ches wrote:Well, Lin, you will always be Queen of the LED Lights, Defender of Unrenovated Cooking Quarters and the Twirliest of Twirling Namechangers. You have worked thanklessly and seamlessly for this forum for <denial> five minutes, so if you feel it's time to pass the baton, nobody can blame you. But maybe you coukd give us a final <twirl> before you go? (Just DO NOT rename yourself The Iron Mummy or something mmkay.)

Definitely this. {{{{{Lin}}}}}
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby Laura Tyewa » 23 Apr 2013, 13:14

Modding is really hard, and on a forum like this where everyone is so close knit it can sometimes be even harder to know exactly where to draw the line. ((hugs)) to all.
Mum to L, born Feb 2012.
Laura Tyewa

Postby PicNic » 23 Apr 2013, 18:13

I haven't been part of this thread because I haven't known how I could contribute but I want to add my thoughts now because even though you are *only* a shiny green name on the page to me Lin, I really feel sad that you feel this way because I have so much respect for the way you and the other mods look after our wonderful forum. We all make decisions based on the information we have at the time and our judgement based on that. Sometimes hindsight makes us think that we made the wrong decision, sometimes other people make us feel that way, but when it comes down to it, you did what you thought was right, you did your job, you tried to protect us. Thank you.
Very proud mummy of our adventurous little man 09/09 and our cheeky little lady 11/11
PicNic

Postby BLTMama » 23 Apr 2013, 19:41

PicNic wrote:I haven't been part of this thread because I haven't known how I could contribute but I want to add my thoughts now because even though you are *only* a shiny green name on the page to me Lin, I really feel sad that you feel this way because I have so much respect for the way you and the other mods look after our wonderful forum. We all make decisions based on the information we have at the time and our judgement based on that. Sometimes hindsight makes us think that we made the wrong decision, sometimes other people make us feel that way, but when it comes down to it, you did what you thought was right, you did your job, you tried to protect us. Thank you.

This, entirely. Please don't feel bad and know that we truly appreciate the work that you, Skip, B&M and BBB (and Aitch and Jem!) do for us for no reason other than the goodness of your lovely hearts.
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Postby Stormwind » 23 Apr 2013, 19:53

I haven't a clue as to what's happened. I haven't read the offending thread as it's already been deleted, but I'm sad to hear that Lin's stepping down. Of all the members, Lin's posts are often the ones that hold weight. Lin's advice is spot on. I hope stepping away from modding doesn't mean stepping away from the forum. Xx

Lin rocks!
Ds1 born 2007
Ds2 born 2010
Stormwind

Postby peasmummy » 23 Apr 2013, 20:25

Stormwind wrote:I haven't a clue as to what's happened. I haven't read the offending thread as it's already been deleted, but I'm sad to hear that Lin's stepping down. Of all the members, Lin's posts are often the ones that hold weight. Lin's advice is spot on. I hope stepping away from modding doesn't mean stepping away from the forum. Xx

Lin rocks!

This. I've stayed away from this thread and the thread in question and haven't got a clue what was said and to whom. Just wanted to echo that I really appreciate the hard work of the mods and I personally believe that Lin rocks!
Pea - Sept 2009
One little angel - January 2012 @10wks
Baby Bug - Oct 2012
peasmummy

Previous

Return to Site Matters