Universal Log Ins - Secretconfessions & Craftswap

General information on site issues. Here is where you moan about stuff not working, basically.

Moderators: AB&M, skip

Re: Universal Log Ins - Secretconfessions & Craftswap

Postby KatGoldLIN » 30 Sep 2012, 21:21

yes to the above.
Kat
Mum to E 02/04/2007, G 26/03/2010 and T 30/03/2011
KatGoldLIN

Postby Tintin » 30 Sep 2012, 21:38

Completely agree and support this decision.
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Postby Spanner » 30 Sep 2012, 21:39

Fine by me too.
DS March 2007
DD1 June 2009
DD2 Feb 2014
Spanner

Postby ToothFairy » 30 Sep 2012, 21:43

I agree too.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby CherryPop » 30 Sep 2012, 22:40

Absolutely WTAS.
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby Efficient_Edna » 01 Oct 2012, 06:38

I'm going to be the non-conformist.

I'm a bit of a libertarian - I think if someone wants to use the anonymous log in it is their choice. I don't see that mods etc. have no responsibility to "save" somebody who does not want to be saved. If users are aware of the risks of using this method its up to them.

On the other hand if it would pose a threat to other users or security to the forum in general that's another story. I just can't think of how it would. But somebody is probably going to correct me!
Brilliant A born Jan '10.
Bouncing L born Sep '11.
Efficient_Edna

Postby PerpetualMadness » 01 Oct 2012, 07:06

Evil_Edna wrote:I'm going to be the non-conformist.

I'm a bit of a libertarian - I think if someone wants to use the anonymous log in it is their choice. I don't see that mods etc. have no responsibility to "save" somebody who does not want to be saved. If users are aware of the risks of using this method its up to them.

On the other hand if it would pose a threat to other users or security to the forum in general that's another story. I just can't think of how it would. But somebody is probably going to correct me!

Ok. The people in the first para can make their own anonymous id, plenty have.

But the multi user login has no link back to any individual so someone could easily choose to use it for trolling or saying something defamatory about someone who then tries to sue etc and there is no way of know who said what.
PerpetualMadness

Postby Disco » 01 Oct 2012, 07:14

I'm fine with them being closed down.
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Postby AB&M » 01 Oct 2012, 08:41

I'm normally a liberal & do believe people should do what they want as long as it does no harm. The problem with a universal login is that there is so much potential for abuse - trolling / spamming etc.

Frankly I see the sc login as a bit of a cop out. There is no proper support for the user except when logged in so in those darkest moments you don't know someone is thinking of you & wanting to help.
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby Gizmo » 01 Oct 2012, 08:42

PerpetualMadness wrote:

Ok. The people in the first para can make their own anonymous id, plenty have.

But the multi user login has no link back to any individual so someone could easily choose to use it for trolling or saying something defamatory about someone who then tries to sue etc and there is no way of know who said what.

I would have thought IP addresses would have shown who said what quite clearly.

I thought the idea of a universal log in was a great idea for those that needed it and would have thought that if someone was using it then they would delete any pm's that came through for them once read, tbh I thought it was only the older forum users that had the password anyway. Can't see a problem them being disabled if there have been issues, like you say, if people want then they can always create their own anon log in.
Gizmo

Postby jvnt » 01 Oct 2012, 09:33

I think that there is often a lot of supportive pm-ing going on behind the scenes when someone posts about an issue, people who want to help/share their experiences but wouldn't post openly on the forum. The number of people who have access to the secret confessions log in would probably put someone off pm-ing in those circumstances. I know it's the internet and therefore never secure anyway but it's sad to think that someone might not get a helpful message at a dark time because they'd used a universal log in.

Also, I don't quite know what pleasure trolls get from doing what they do but they can be very nasty, much easier to identify as one if they are a fresh new log in.
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby Nix » 01 Oct 2012, 10:47

I haven't used any universal log ins (really can't be bothered to log out an back in again = lazy) but I agre with whatever aitch and mods decide on this.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby Kanga » 01 Oct 2012, 11:02

I agree too.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Aitch » 01 Oct 2012, 20:39

cheers, all (apart from EvilEdna ;D)

i do think that we are as free and easy as poss, and it's a good policy to think the best of people, but basically we think we just cannae handle the possibilities (however unlikely) that might arise, captain. i guess at the end of the day regarding 'saving' people, we can only do what our consciences can handle and purposely taking that 'hands-off, fk-all we can do about this, it's an sc log-in' just doesn't sit well and we'd rather not expose ourselves to it.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Cait » 01 Oct 2012, 20:42

The way I see it is this. The mods make it possible for us all to use this site. When we can't use this site, madness ensues and the whole internet gets broken. Having or not having universal log-ins is not a world ending issue, various truths will continue to be self-evident with or without them, let's just go with what the mods are comfortable with eh? It's easy for the rest of us not to worry about a feeling of responsibility, because none really rests with us.
Pootle - May 2011 (after a long time trying)
Doing whatever works for us whenever I know what that is and with Green & Black's white chocolate whenever possible.
Cait

PreviousNext

Return to Site Matters