Another downside to not having a newbie holding pen...

General information on site issues. Here is where you moan about stuff not working, basically.

Moderators: AB&M, skip

Another downside to not having a newbie holding pen...

Postby CherryPop » 27 Oct 2011, 13:07

I've just been clearing up some of the unanswered posts (I'm bored :D) and noticed there are lots of them in the New Member Introduction section. I realise this is because people don't need to be released from the newbie pen any more, so mods aren't regularly visiting that section of the forum, and I guess those of us (like me) who generally use the 'view new posts' section might miss out on them.

I'm just working my way through now answering them, because I remember how lovely and welcoming this forum was when I arrived. Not to put anyone else on a massive guilt trip or anything, but I feel really sorry for all these new BLWers who come bouncing up, introducing themselves and asking questions, and then ... silence :oops:

This issue, added to the spam issues, makes me want to vote for re-instituting the newbie holding pen. And again offer my services (along with all the others who did in the previous thread) to mod it, if required ;)

Preaching over :mona
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Re: Another downside to not having a newbie holding pen...

Postby elaruu » 27 Oct 2011, 13:10

Maybe this could be fixed by removing the "new member introduction" forum? Just because I think it still says you need to introduce yourself on there to gain access (I think?) haven't checked in a while. If it wasn't there, new people might just post in the New to BLW section and get noticed?
Mummy to two lovely Scottish-born boys - A 27/1/09 and J 9/3/11.
And an Aussie version - M 16/12/13 :).
elaruu

Postby CherryPop » 27 Oct 2011, 13:14

Good point ;)
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby sparkling » 27 Oct 2011, 16:20

Well done for all your welcoming! I'm with you on the spamming, but don't think using view new posts should be a problem - all the replies you've been busy with are showing up when I press the new posts button. Maybe we all just need this reminder to keep on replying to people!
Jiglet, Mar'09 & Bell, Jan'12
sparkling

Postby Aitch » 03 Nov 2011, 10:48

the whole newbie pen thing is still under discussion, that's why we've never changed the wording... i agree, though, it's misleading. it may yet be re-instituted unless we can get the spamming sorted... but believe me, it's a monumental pain in the arse having to let people in manually so it is best avoided... will contact Jem again, she's awfully busy, the poor thing.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Aitch » 03 Nov 2011, 10:48

the whole newbie pen thing is still under discussion, that's why we've never changed the wording... i agree, though, it's misleading. it may yet be re-instituted unless we can get the spamming sorted... but believe me, it's a monumental pain in the arse having to let people in manually so it is best avoided... will contact Jem again, she's awfully busy, the poor thing.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby TwinklinGDecorations » 03 Nov 2011, 10:54

Is it my imagination or has 'View unanswered posts' disappeared. i was looking for it the other day for that reason but must have got distracted...........
So somehow it happened, my weaners are at school,
I'm still here though and people I'll try to fool,
with tales of advice giving and of wanting to know
But really here's the only place I ever want to go.
TwinklinGDecorations

Postby AB&M » 03 Nov 2011, 10:56

TroGloDyte wrote:Is it my imagination or has 'View unanswered posts' disappeared. i was looking for it the other day for that reason but must have got distracted...........

You can get to it from the board index but not from "view new posts" list which is probably where most of us go.
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby TwinklinGDecorations » 03 Nov 2011, 19:24

Guilty as charged, I'll make an effort to check more often.
So somehow it happened, my weaners are at school,
I'm still here though and people I'll try to fool,
with tales of advice giving and of wanting to know
But really here's the only place I ever want to go.
TwinklinGDecorations

Return to Site Matters