9 Months too late to start??

General information on site issues. Here is where you moan about stuff not working, basically.

Moderators: AB&M, skip

9 Months too late to start??

Postby jules » 18 Aug 2011, 12:02

I am a newbie to the BLW world! Up until now I have been pureeing, mashing etc, but the recent rejection of anything on a spoon is causing stress and tears that noone wants, so Im looking for options.

My son, Levi, is 9 months old, was a bad sleeper, which we had to see a sleep dr for.. part of their advice was carbs, 50% of each meal. He now sleeps 12 hours every night which I dont want to change!

So my question to you experienced ones..
Am I too late to start, or will he learn fairly quickly (he has been doing some finger foods, grated cheese, sandwiches, toast, soft fruit bars etc)
And how do you know they are getting enough, do babies doing BLW remain sleeping through the night?

Its an uneasy feeling that I want to lose, the whole eating enough stress - how oh how do I ease up?!

Advice, tips, anything for a beginner that is a stress head is so appreciated!

J x
jules

Re: 9 Months too late to start??

Postby Aitch » 22 Aug 2011, 12:33

hi jules, i think the reason you're not getting replies is that this is kinda the 'wrong' bit of the board. let me see if i can change that.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby shye » 22 Aug 2011, 12:57

Hi.
It's never "too late" but I think you'll find that blw-ing is more of a mentality than a structured way of doing things. There is no way to control how much your lo eats in blw, because the whole point is that he is in charge and you trust him. If it genuinely is the good causing him to sleep then it may be rocked at first (and im so jealous, my 8 month old barely sleeps 4 hours at a time! But for different reasons)

You may find some really good recipes in the recipe section for filling/good fat finger foods. They get the hang so quickly that I doubt you have to worry.

Good luck.
Mummy to E (nov 08) and Birdy (dec 10)
shye

Postby Svea » 22 Aug 2011, 19:34

i've replied to yiou in the other board - aitch, jules started two threads with the same topic. can you merge them?
Mama to M since 02/10/07, P since 08/03/10 and O 07/06/13
Svea

Postby ches » 22 Aug 2011, 20:56

We started at 9 mo, but there had been an all-out rejection of all things not-from-a-boob until then so a bit different.

I'm astounded both that you were referred to a sleep doctor with an infant, as well as by the advice. Babies need 25% of their diet (by vol, 50% by calories) to be from fat to ensure they get all the calories they need without having to over-eat. I'm glad it seems to have worked for you, though.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Return to Site Matters