Rye, Sussex

...people to see. Well, not really. More like 'we went to the Umbrella Museum in Ashby de la Zouch and it was GREAT.' If there is such a thing, that is.

Rye, Sussex

Postby Lily » 24 Oct 2014, 12:01

Anyone local to Rye, or know the area well?

We will be there for a week at the start of November, planning to take in the bonfire celebrations and do some beach walking and bird watching. What else should we plan to do? We don't have a car so will be restricted to public transport and activities within walking/scooting range for a 2.5yo. Ideas for rainy days would be especially welcome - we're renting a lovely flat but DH will want to do some work, so I can't hang about at home too much with Izbiz.

Thanks!
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Re: Rye, Sussex

Postby LucyLastic » 25 Oct 2014, 00:34

Hi :-) I live about half an hour away, but lived there for 6 years (in a whole different lifetime, it feels like!) Camber Sands is a few miles down the road - no idea about public transport, but guess there must be a bus that goes there. There is a playground on 'the salts' - near the fish market on the road heading to Camber (A259, if memory serves) and there is a pool at Rye Sports Centre. There is a nature reserve at Rye Harbour - too far to walk with a little one, but there are buses. If you get fed up of Rye, you can get the train to Ashford or Hastings - there isn't much (if anything) to do in Ashford (except catch the Eurostar!) but you can go for a wander along the seafront in Hastings, pebble beach, aquarium, fishing boats, etc. There's a market in Rye on Thursday, near the station. Rye gets VERY busy on bonfire night and might be quite scary for a toddler, so you might want to consider ear-defenders, especially during the bonfire boys parade. I think the fireworks start at 9, so it's quite a late night for little ones. Best place to see the fireworks is from the viewpoint opposite the ironmongers, at the end of the High Street. You're welcome to come and play at ours if you fancy a 25min bus ride to Tenterden! (Feel free to PM if you do) Hope you have a lovely time :-)
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Lily » 27 Oct 2014, 13:39

Thanks Lucy! That all sounds great. There's definitely a bus to Camber Sands, and Hastings sounds good too - he'd love an aquarium. We will be able to see the fireworks from our flat apparently, so I think the plan is to watch from indoors post-bedtime.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby LucyLastic » 27 Oct 2014, 14:00

Have fun!
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Return to Things to do/Places to go