Any recommendations for things to do in Jersey with 16 mo

...people to see. Well, not really. More like 'we went to the Umbrella Museum in Ashby de la Zouch and it was GREAT.' If there is such a thing, that is.

Any recommendations for things to do in Jersey with 16 mo

Postby Ali70 » 01 Sep 2014, 13:52

We're off on our hols to Jersey in a few weeks. We're staying in St Helier and have Durrell Wildlife Park, rockpooling/playing on the beach and hiring bikes to cycle to Corbiere lighthouse down the disused railway line on the list of things to do. Are there any "must do's" people would suggest with a 16month old?
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Re: Any recommendations for things to do in Jersey with 16 m

Postby Toasty Crumpet » 01 Sep 2014, 15:21

We went this time last year so crumpet was 2 1/4. The weather wasn't great so we did a lot of driving around. On the nice days, the beaches were great. We rode to corbierre light house which was great but very windy, a little rainy and colder than expected when we got there (take warmer clothes than we did!). The afternoon tea at the Durrell wildlife park was excellent - we went back for it. What I would advise is that the war tunnels are not so good for a toddler, particularly not on a rainy Monday when every pensioner on the island seemed to be there.
Lovely Crumpet born June 2011 and little Chompy born January 2014.
Toasty Crumpet

Postby Ali70 » 01 Sep 2014, 15:34

Thanks ToastyCrumpet. We're planning for the worst - we bought Sproglet a new all in one waterproof and some new wellies at the weekend so hopefully we won't freeze if the weather does its worst. Thanks for the afternoon tea tip - a British holiday without at least one lovely afternoon tea is unthinkable!
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Postby thebean » 01 Sep 2014, 16:56

I live in Jersey so should be able to help!! if the weather is good then the beaches the zoo and corbier will keep you busy there is also a little road train that you can take from st helier to st Aubins which the kids love and st Aubins is nice to have a little look round.

There is a park just out side st hellier called Milbrook park with a big splash pool which will be lovely and quite that time of year as the schools are back.

There are two castles Gorey castle and Elizabeth Castle my two prefer Gorey because you can dress up and wear your costume round the castle. But there are A LOT of stairs although the views are worth it when you get to the top. Elizabeth castle you can only walk to at low tide but you can get a puddle duck (amphibious vehicle) if you dont want to walk or the tide is high.

All the beaches are lovely except st Aubins bay where we are having trouble with sea weed at the moment and is very green. the rest are spotless and our favourite is Greve de lecq.

If the weather is bad there is the maritime museum they have lots of things to press and interactive displays.
Theres a couple of pools one in town another out in St brelards the one in st brelards is just a pool with a couple of shallow areas but my two prefered it to the big one in town when they were littler.
Fort regent has a big play area and there are a few pubs with play areas for really bad weather days our favourite is the priory at Devils hole in my oppinion the food is best and you can sit and still see what is going on in the play area.

Also do you know about the Jersey Pass if your plannng on the Zoo and some other tourist things i think its worth it but if the weather is good you might be happy just with the beaches and might not be worth it.

Hope thats been helpful and not just a ramble!! let me know if you want to know anything else places to eat out ext there are so many good restaurants. Have a lovely holiday!
Sarah mum to Harry born 26.01.09 and Jack 5.04.2011
thebean

Postby Ali70 » 02 Sep 2014, 07:49

That's really helpful, thanks TheBean. Is there any cafe/pub/restaurant you'd recommend in St Aubin or St Helier for children's food? Sproglet is needing her own meal when we eat out more and more, and I refuse to give her chicken nuggets and chips when she's happy with the stuff we're eating. Do you know of anywhere that has a good homecooked children's menu? We quite often ask places to just do a smaller portion of one of their main meals, but we've been to a couple of places that did really imaginative, healthy children's meals so I'm always on the look out for places like that.
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Postby thebean » 02 Sep 2014, 09:50

I dont eat out a lot with the boys in st hellier or st aubins as we live in St ouens and we tend to go to our favouirte beach cafe El Tico right on the beach amazing veiws relaxed atmospher and great food i would really recomend.

But in st Helier
I love cafe Jac which is at the art center its busy at lunch times so might be worth booking this is there menu
http://www.cafejac.co.uk/secure/resourc ... nu_web.pdf

I dont know if you like Thai food but there is a great little thai place and they would make you a small portion of anything you want its called Park house.

St Aubins has some great resturants i have only ever eaten there with friends so not sure what they would do for children but Mash, the Salty dog and Dannys at the harbour view all doing great food and i think they would be acomadating for children.

Feast in Gorey is really good ive never been in with the boys but i think they will do anything off the main menu for children. (i know thats not st aubins or st hellier but its easy to get to if you dont have a car)

Your hotel will be able to give you directions to any of the places i have sugested. What hotel are you staying at?
thebean

Postby Ali70 » 02 Sep 2014, 11:21

That's brilliant, thank you so much. And Gorey is on the list of places we're thinking of getting the bus to so great to have somewhere to get lunch there too.

I love Thai and Sproglet hasn't tried it yet so that's definitely worth a try.

We're staying in the Merton Suites, self catering appartments by the Merton Hotel.
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Postby thebean » 02 Sep 2014, 12:09

Oh lovely the pool at the merton is great as well. Hope you have a lovely holiday x
thebean

Postby issi » 02 Sep 2014, 20:15

Now I wanna come!
DS born March 2009. DS2 born October 2011.
issi

Postby Ali70 » 29 Sep 2014, 10:28

Thanks for all your help and suggestions for our trip. We had a fantastic time. Lots of fun splashing around on the beaches, playing in the park and sharing fish & chips and ice cream in Liberation Square followed by Sproglet chasing all the seagulls. The Durrell Wildlife Park was nice, Sproglet liked the baby oragutans and baby gorilla. We got the little train from St Helier to St Aubin which was a tiny bit long for Sproglet to sit still, but fast deployment of a secret stash of raisins and dried apricots sorted that out! We enjoyed the ride to Corbier lighthouse although the downhill ride back was much better!

If anyone is looking for a place to stay in Jersey, we really liked the Merton Suites. Very nice appartments with access to a brilliant pool - lots of areas where Sproglet could stand up and a slide/cascade thing she could go down on her own (with us loitering very close by!). They also had a fab playroom full of Little Tykes stuff and soft play things.

Thebean, you live on a very beautiful island :-)
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Postby thebean » 30 Sep 2014, 07:17

Glad you had a good time. You picked a good time to come September has been beautiful in fact as i am 36 weeks pregnant i'm finding it to warm!
thebean

Return to Things to do/Places to go