Stockwood Discovery Centre, Luton

...people to see. Well, not really. More like 'we went to the Umbrella Museum in Ashby de la Zouch and it was GREAT.' If there is such a thing, that is.

Stockwood Discovery Centre, Luton

Postby Cofa's Tree » 09 Jul 2014, 21:08

I met a friend from London today and we wanted somewhere roughly in-between us to meet. A quick Google search turned up Stockwood Discovery Centre in Luton, and despite most people's reactions being 'Luton, you're going to Luton???' as if we were mad, it was fantastic.

2 minutes drive from J10, M1, it's a free museum with loads of gardens (sensory, music, Roman, Victorian, etc) and a series of exhibition rooms with a round house, skeletons, stuffed animals (which were hideous but kept the noses of a two and a three year old glued to the case for ages), and various bits of farm machinery. Plus we got to wave at the big planes coming over from the airport.

We had a picnic in a great open space and an ice cream in the cafe. There's a playground area, not with a huge amount of equipment but nice enough, and the obligatory shop to buy tat.

I thoroughly recommend it if anyone needed somewhere to stop to break up an M1 journey or as a day out. Big link cos I can't do the fancy short ones:
http://www.lutonculture.com/stockwood-d ... siting-us/
Cofa's Tree

Return to Things to do/Places to go