Boston?

...people to see. Well, not really. More like 'we went to the Umbrella Museum in Ashby de la Zouch and it was GREAT.' If there is such a thing, that is.

Boston?

Postby ickleeric » 03 Jul 2014, 20:15

Any recommendations on places to stay, things to do in Boston (US)? Hubby wants to go for his big birthday this year!
Mum to the wee man (April 2010) and the little lady (Sept 2013) both connoisseurs of the BLW cookbook.
ickleeric

Re: Boston?

Postby Treeb » 03 Jul 2014, 20:29

Are you bringing the los? The aquarium and science museum are both fun. I haven't spent a ton of time there, but my sister lived there many years, so if no one else has ideas I can ask her for some recommendations.

What types of things do you enjoy doing/seeing?
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby FestiveTidings » 03 Jul 2014, 21:03

I would second the aquarium. There is also the observatory thing where you can walk inside a globe (can't remember the exact name Maparium maybe?).

The sight seeing yours are good - you have old trolley tours (which includes a harbour tour) or the duck tours which are the buses that turn into boats (and they all look like ducks).

I would recommend whale watching tour if your little ones are a bit older though you do have to book it.

Swan boats in the public gardens are also fun.

Get yourselves a Charlie card - you can get the subway anywhere in the city for 75 cents.

And if all else fails, there is always the frog pond in the public gardens! Similarly there is a mile of gardens in memory of Rose Kennedy running parallel with the harbour starting at the arose Kennedy Rose Garden in the north end. On a section near the harbour they have one if those dancing water fountains where the water shoots out the ground randomly? Parents bring their kids to play there.

Boston common is always good for a bit of a chill out area too.

Without the little ones then I would head out on the freedom trail (ending up at the Black Rose for a few pints!), Fenway, Paul Revere's Church, Cheers bar, Faneuil hall/Quincy market and the naval base over at Charlestown. The old state house on State St and the holocaust memorial are also worth a visit. To be honest, these can all be done with kids, it's just how tolerant they are of museums and stuff

The place is just steeped in history and it's all really easy to get to. I would recommend a trolley tour first to get the lay of the land and then pick and choose what you want to see.
Last edited by FestiveTidings on 03 Jul 2014, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby FestiveTidings » 03 Jul 2014, 21:08

Forgot to say about accommodation. We were in the financial district but the hotels can be pretty expensive around there but they are lovely. Copley is also another nice area. The centre of Boston is actually pretty small so you can easily walk around it. Have a look on trip advisor for the best hotels. My DH worked over there for 3 months so he had a rented apartment.
FestiveTidings

Postby ickleeric » 04 Jul 2014, 08:00

We're planning to go without the kids (eek) for about 4 nights. We like to do the touristy stuff when we go away, we're not very good at sitting still and relaxing and need to be on the move. Don't know much about Boston so at a bit of a loss as to what to do for 3/4 days. Hubby has chosen Boston as he wants to go to see the Bears vs Patriots game!
Mum to the wee man (April 2010) and the little lady (Sept 2013) both connoisseurs of the BLW cookbook.
ickleeric

Postby FestiveTidings » 04 Jul 2014, 08:26

FestiveTidings

Postby ickleeric » 04 Jul 2014, 08:36

Thanks for all the tips, I'm liking the sound of Boston more and more but I suspect we won't be going if we can't get the football tickets, may take you up on the guide book offer once confirmed!
ickleeric

Postby FestiveTidings » 04 Jul 2014, 08:59

No probs - just let me know!

It's a hugely sporty city so there always something going on. Pity DH wouldn't consider another type. DH became a baseball and basketball fan while over there and I got into ice hockey. It's infectious :)
FestiveTidings

Return to Things to do/Places to go