Toddler friendly UK holidays

...people to see. Well, not really. More like 'we went to the Umbrella Museum in Ashby de la Zouch and it was GREAT.' If there is such a thing, that is.

Toddler friendly UK holidays

Postby mamapup » 25 Feb 2014, 10:21

My brother and his family have suggested that we all go away together this summer (his son is bilingual but his english is weaker than the other language so they'd like time in the UK with English family). Sadly the only time they will be able to come is end of July/beg of August when everything is uber expensive.

Does anyone have any suggestions around these needs:

1. Not too far from either Folkstone/Dover (coming over on ferry I imagine)
2. Toddler/baby friendly houses that suit six adults and three kids
3. Not horrendously expensive

?
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Re: Toddler friendly UK holidays

Postby BacktoSaz » 25 Feb 2014, 11:14

We had a successful multi-generational family holiday in Portsmouth 2 summers ago. It was successful because there was loads to do in Portsmouth when it rained all week :( , and we had a wide age-range of kids to keep happy (2-17) Had it been nice there was a beach nearby!

The place we stayed was quite expensive (but my Mum paid) but if you google you can find quite a lot of holiday homes for rent in the Portsmouth area.
Mum to L - Nov 07 and J - Aug 09
BacktoSaz

Postby Nix » 25 Feb 2014, 11:56

I'd go for a cheap base with a pool and soft play area in case of bad weather. Have you looked on hoseasons? I usually find something on there. Pontins is fairly cheap too although busy. We hated the pool in the summer it was heaving!
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby Sallie » 25 Feb 2014, 13:20

Have you looked on the baby friendly boltholes website?
Mum to BabyCob, born October 2010 and Babybel, born September 2013
Sallie

Postby monkeydo » 25 Feb 2014, 13:24

I really recommend featherdown farms. We took J in September and he adored it. it is a bit "twee" and highly stylished but we just went with it.

You could have 2 "tents" next to each other.

But I think it might be a bit pricey in school holidays.
Mum to little man J born February 2012 and little lady R born July 2014
monkeydo

Postby Mummyto1 » 25 Feb 2014, 13:59

Second vote for baby friendly bolt holes - though may be too expensive in school hols. They are consistently really nice though.

We have had our greatest successes staying on farms in places like Devon. One in particular we have been back to 3 times. They had a play area outside and a barn full of toys (with a coffee machine!) for when it was wet. Kids could go every morning with the lovely farmer to feed the animals and collect eggs. Might be too far but if not do say and I'll try and find the name - the last time we went was a while ago now. It was really reasonable though we went out of season.
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby bigcatmaniac » 25 Feb 2014, 20:08

I wouldn't mind the name of it, if you don't mind Mummyto1? I was just on the baby friendly bolt holes website for the first time the other day, searching for places in Devon and loads came up. I was going to put a post on here to ask if anyone had been to any and would recommend them? Spooky timing.....
bigcatmaniac

Postby mamapup » 25 Feb 2014, 21:40

Thanks for your thoughts all, much appreciated. Will look at baby friendly bolt hoLes. Hadn't looked as we found a random one in France last year and it wasn't great so wanted to know which site to use. A few people have mentioned this one now so will check it out.

Devon is a bit far as.my brother will be coming from abroad and doesn't want to drive too far with a two year old, but thank you, sounds fab otherwise, mummyto1.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby felizefun » 26 Feb 2014, 17:05

I would really like to know the name of the place, too, Mummyto1. Thanks!
felizefun

Return to Things to do/Places to go