London Trip

...people to see. Well, not really. More like 'we went to the Umbrella Museum in Ashby de la Zouch and it was GREAT.' If there is such a thing, that is.

London Trip

Postby catie_lou » 22 Feb 2014, 17:48

We are going to London for 2 days at the end of the week for Georges Birthday mainly to visit the Natural History Museum.

We get there on Friday about 10.30am and the plan is to go straight to the Museum. Our Hotel is a Premier Inn(Tate Modern) in Southwark so Tea will be in that area. Then on Saturday I am not sure what we are doing but setting off back about 3.30pm.

So my main questions are any where good for tea around the Southwark area and what to do in Saturday (crosses fingers for fine weather)
catie_lou

Re: London Trip

Postby KateGladTidings » 22 Feb 2014, 18:01

You're very near the South Bank and there are lots of nice child-friendly places to eat around there (Giraffe, Wagamama etc). There's also a Nandos under London Bridge, near the Anchor pub and (I think) a Pizza Express. On Saturday morning, it's worth a wander through Borough Market - not overly child-friendly but good for foodies and you're right there so you might as well pop by. After that, you can do anything :D Were you wanting to stay local or do something on the way back to a station etc?
Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Postby Toasty Crumpet » 22 Feb 2014, 18:11

There's another nandos opposite southwark tube station (next to my work) on blackfriars bridge road which may be less busy. Hidden behind southwark tube station is a Thai restaurant and a Turkish place that's really yummy. There are also lots of eating places behind the Tate modern on southwark st, like Leon and an m&s food.
Lovely Crumpet born June 2011 and little Chompy born January 2014.
Toasty Crumpet

Postby mamapup » 22 Feb 2014, 18:42

If it's not good weather on the Saturday head in to either the Tate Modern or the Royal Festival Hall for a lot of toddler friendly space for running and playing.

If you want to travel around London then the Diana Memorial playground is amazing (Hyde Park), the Transport Museum is brill for little ones and back by the NHM, the science museum is brill (ground floor and basement in particular).
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Spanner » 23 Feb 2014, 02:05

You could do a boat trip? The river bus is the cheapest way.
DS March 2007
DD1 June 2009
DD2 Feb 2014
Spanner

Postby Rahgamuffin » 23 Feb 2014, 07:26

You may know this, but if you're going to NHM then you can book advance tickets to the dinosaurs online to save queuing: http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/galleries ... index.html
Mum to B (05/08), J (02/11) & L (01/14)
Rahgamuffin

Postby catie_lou » 23 Feb 2014, 10:28

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I will have to run it by DH and we will see what we come up with. Would love to have wonder around Borough Market but not sure if it is a DH thing.

Rm I had a look at the queuing system, it's only available in half term we are there on the 28th so not relevant to us (and it won't let me book anything anyway).
catie_lou

Postby catie_lou » 01 Mar 2014, 22:09

well we are back from London. Had a great time. We did appear to hit school trip day for the NHM on Friday with the Dino Gallery being full of kids between the ages of 5 & 8. This made it hard for George to see the Dinos as he doesn't like pushing to the front. But we took it slow and he got some good pictures. He enjoyed looking at all the displays and telling us what was what. Ended up staying at the Premier Inn for tea as we were all tired, food was great I'd say on par with a good Weatherspoons reasonable price too, 2 steaks, chicken nuggets, 3 x sides, bottle of wine, juice and pudding for £45.00 also not far to fall back to the room. We were all tucked up in bed for 9pm. I am glad we did the NHM on Friday as we went to the Science Museum on Saturday and the queues outside the former were very very very very long. Made the trip to Giraffe for lunch very nice it was too. I would say we will prob go again maybe going to alternate places the next time.
catie_lou

Postby mamapup » 01 Mar 2014, 22:14

Just to say that in term time every day is school trip day. You need to check.out what time the kids all go for lunch and do exhibits then. My friend works in science museum and that's her top.tip!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Return to Things to do/Places to go