Londoners - any tips for Chinese New Year Parade?

...people to see. Well, not really. More like 'we went to the Umbrella Museum in Ashby de la Zouch and it was GREAT.' If there is such a thing, that is.

Londoners - any tips for Chinese New Year Parade?

Postby BacktoSaz » 01 Feb 2014, 15:44

We're heading to the big smoke tomorrow to see the Chinese New Year Parade, and eat some Chinese food. Both kids have been learning about China at school and are very excited.

I'll have both kids by myself - any tips of where to go where they won't be crushed by the crowds, and might actually be able to see something?
Mum to L - Nov 07 and J - Aug 09
BacktoSaz

Re: Londoners - any tips for Chinese New Year Parade?

Postby cloudcuckoo » 01 Feb 2014, 18:44

What we learnt last year:
- dress up warm, with waterproofs. We got soooo cold and wet;
- we found crowds were really thick around Trafalgar Square, and headed north to get ahead of the parade. You can print a route map off from the website (can't remember which, but it wasn't hard to find);
- dancing dragons are scary to 2 year olds especially at pushchair level. So is the noise. Shoulder-riding helped a bit, and being warmer would have been better;
- the stalls in Chinatown were appealing to my little capitalists, take pocket money. Also, waterproof bags, because paper dragons/ lanterns and hail/ sleet aren't good together. We loved the firecrackers, great fun;
- expect to queue for a table anywhere in Chinatown from 11.45 onwards. We had cold, hungry kids with unadventurous tastebuds, so we gave up after 30 mins or so and walked to Wagamama on South Bank (we needed to end up at Waterloo anyway) and got noodles there. It was sufficiently oriental for the kids, and kid-friendly;
It's a great day out, and Bobs is really miffed not to be going again this year.

Have fun!
Two girls, Bug (2010) and Bobs (2007) in the cloud-nest, and a boy, Boo, too (February 2014)
cloudcuckoo

Re: Londoners - any tips for Chinese New Year Parade?

Postby BacktoSaz » 01 Feb 2014, 19:31

Thank you! Very helpful. I thought we might try to make an early start, head to the start of the parade at Charing Cross, give Trafalgar Square a miss, and then go to Chinatown for a super early lunch. Then go home....!
Mum to L - Nov 07 and J - Aug 09
BacktoSaz

Return to Things to do/Places to go