York and surrounding area

...people to see. Well, not really. More like 'we went to the Umbrella Museum in Ashby de la Zouch and it was GREAT.' If there is such a thing, that is.

York and surrounding area

Postby Nix » 07 Apr 2012, 10:21

Me DH and the kids are staying in a holiday inn in York tonight. I've just realised I've not done much research into what to do with them tomorrow. It's Easter Sunday so everywheres going to be busy. Weather says cloudy but not raining. We like animals, playgrounds and walking. What is there around York? Or on the way back from York to Manchester? Any recommendations?
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Re: York and surrounding area

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 07 Apr 2012, 13:19

Creepie Crawlies is an 'adventure park' in York that DH's workmates rave about (we've never been) so that is a safe option whatever the weather.

Outside York Newby Hall is well worth a visit, just get a ticket for the gardens (the house is worth a visit but not with kids) the kids will be amused all day and they have a good restaurant, there is a big playground, pedalos, a minature train (you have to pay extra for that) and a nice sculpture walk that is child friendly. It is enormous so even last Easter when it was gorgeous and very busy everything is still very slickly done and there is plenty of room. They usually have musicians playing in the old kitchen garden (next to the restaurant) etc. We've been in the rain and there is still lots to do!
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 07 Apr 2012, 13:23

I'm not sure what there is in York, but on the way back you could pop in to Tropical World in Leeds. They have butterflies, lots of birds including a parrot, meerkats, bats, monkeys, snakes and fish. There is a lovely pub opposite for lunch and if the weather is nice you can head into Roundhay Park for a walk to the playground. I think that covers everything you like!
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby Nix » 07 Apr 2012, 15:57

Thanks for the suggestions! Will have a chat with DH and see what he'd prefer!
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Return to Things to do/Places to go