London (again!)

...people to see. Well, not really. More like 'we went to the Umbrella Museum in Ashby de la Zouch and it was GREAT.' If there is such a thing, that is.

London (again!)

Postby Popsie » 03 Apr 2012, 19:41

We are taking Midge to London (and staying in an empty relative's house while they are on their hols!) later on this holiday. We are going for 3 days and I want to get a bit in this holiday before Baby arrives in a few months.
We are definitely doing Natural History museum - would it be ridiculous to attempt Science museum in the same day??? I know they are next to one another but I am wondering about queues and how big they are?
What else would you recommend? Midge is 3 and a half and she is very interested in lots of stuff - particularly animals! Think an art gallery with 'just' paintings would bore her and she would not last long. That is not to say we would never take her but I want to do stuff this holiday that she will LOVE! If there is interactive stuff she would be up for it.
I am not bothered about cost of stuff - we aren't paying for accommodation and are driving in.
Plus we are staying in Brixton so ease of the tube would be fab - Midge has never been IN London and I am not fancying a load of tube changes and long journeys...
Thanks for your help! x
Proud mummy to my gorgeous girlies
M is 5 and B is 1
Popsie

Re: London (again!)

Postby KateGladTidings » 03 Apr 2012, 19:50

*lazily points to blog in signature *

Not at all crazy to do NHM and Science Museum in one day. The queues are fairly bad in the school hols but if you go fairly early in the morning, it shouldn't be too bad. From Brixton, the 345 bus will take you all the way there but it is a bit of a long haul (it takes the scenic route!). Or Victoria Line to Victoria and then circle or district to South Ken. Brixton station is usually accessible from street level but they're repairing the lifts at the mo.

NHM doesn't have much for toddlers to do - it's a bit look-but-don't-touch. Roo liked the dinosaurs but we were stretching it to spend a day there. Science Museum is pretty big and you could spend a whole day there - there's an under 6s bit in the basement which is good, and the launchpad on the third floor (which is technically for older kids but Roo loved it at just over 2!). Quite a few places to eat in Science Museum, including a picnic area. NHM cafe gets v crowded...

Hmmm...what other questions did you have?
Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Postby KateGladTidings » 03 Apr 2012, 19:56

Brockwell Park is v close to Brixton and was redone last summer with a new, "natural" sand and water play area. Water wasn't on when we went in Sept, not sure when it's going on this year. There's also an open air swimming pool (but it's quite cold) and a nice cafe next to it.

There is softplay in Brixton if you get desperate, and a load of nice coffee shops/little cafes in "Brixton Village" (basically an indoor market behind the street market but loads of cool new places have just sprung up there so def worth a visit. Federation Coffee is a kiwi coffee place and a fave of ours).

BLW favourite Corams Fields is also a bus trip away from Brixton (no 59)

KateGladTidings

Postby Heidi » 03 Apr 2012, 20:15

Kate, I've just looked at your blog and I love it! How do I follow you? there isn't one of those orange buttons to click on <most non-technical description ever!>
Thom May 07 and Kiera Sept 09 - I don't really have an excuse to be here still!!

Would you like to start your own business, earn some extra money or enjoy a new challenge? If so please contact me,

http://www.phoenix-trading.co.uk/web/heidiwadsworth
Heidi

Postby mathsgirl » 04 Apr 2012, 09:04

We went to London for a weekend last autumn. DD1 was 2.5 yrs, similar thing wanted to get a trip in before baby!
We did lots of riding on buses which was a hit. London Transport Museum - she loved going on the buses and trains and I found it quite interesting as a recent history of how London has developed too! Diana Memorial Playground one sunny morning. A wander around St James Park and on the South Bank too. We never made it to South Ken for the museums - that is for our next visit!
Ooh, and love Kate's blog too!
Mum to two March babes -- DD1 (2009) and DD2 (2012)
mathsgirl

Postby KateGladTidings » 04 Apr 2012, 16:00

Heidi wrote:Kate, I've just looked at your blog and I love it! How do I follow you? there isn't one of those orange buttons to click on <most non-technical description ever!>

Thanks Heidi! (and mapgirl). Embarassingly, I'm not actually sure how to follow - if you have a wordpress account and it's logged in, there should be a button in the top left corner...but other than that I don't know....

KateGladTidings

Postby Popsie » 05 Apr 2012, 14:46

Wow Kate your blog is giving something to think about and read through thanks. It's fab!
Midge loves museums and has been to a couple of smaller ones not half as impressive and she doesn't get bored! A whole day may push it but she has staying power she loves animals and has just developed a bit of interest in dinosaurs. Plus DH is A bit obsessed with animals and dinosaurs!
I was wondering what else is a good recommendation for London ? Unsure what weather will be like... Otherwise would love to hang out in a park for a day! Thinking places to go/ things to see rather than a park which may be awesome but for midge it would possibly be just another park..?! What do you think of London eye? That's been recommended to us..? Are there any cool kid friendly exhibitions on?
Proud mummy to my gorgeous girlies
M is 5 and B is 1
Popsie

Postby KateGladTidings » 05 Apr 2012, 15:56

Museum of Childhood is always fun but a bit of a trek from Brixton. If dh loves dinosaurs, there are some in the park at Crystal Palace (no 3 bus from Brixton) - they are seriously unrealistic looking but fun to look at!

Haven't done London Eye with Roo - not sure he'd have the patience for a long stretch in a small space...

KateGladTidings

Postby Heidi » 05 Apr 2012, 20:04

We are coming to London tomorrow, plan is:

Fri:
Dump stuff at hotel at 10am, walk round looking at Tower Bridge, Tower of London etc.
Go to Museum of London, have picnic lunch there.
Tube back to hotel (as kids love trains :)

Sat:
Leave hotel about 9am, after eating massive buffet breakfast!
Science Museum for 10am, stay all morning, prob have lunch in cafe there.
Tube back to car some time after lunch, maybe popping up to look at Buck Palace on the way past

Will report back next week x
Thom May 07 and Kiera Sept 09 - I don't really have an excuse to be here still!!

Would you like to start your own business, earn some extra money or enjoy a new challenge? If so please contact me,

http://www.phoenix-trading.co.uk/web/heidiwadsworth
Heidi

Return to Things to do/Places to go