London People I need some advice please!

...people to see. Well, not really. More like 'we went to the Umbrella Museum in Ashby de la Zouch and it was GREAT.' If there is such a thing, that is.

London People I need some advice please!

Postby RubLINester » 13 Mar 2012, 23:17

My nephew who's 14 is coming over from Montenegro to stay with us for a week in April. We've promised him a trip to the Big Smoke and he'd like to go Madame Tuessauds, London Eye, London Zoo, Design Museum, Tate plus all the usual sightseeing which is all great and I'd love to take him to ALL of those places...
But with 2 kids in tow we'd be lucky if we manage to see two of the things from his list.

I was at first thinking a daytrip on the train, (we're an 1 and 30 mins away) but maybe it would be better if we stay in Travelodge or somewhere like that and spread the sightseeing over a couple of days. A family room in Travelodge in Covent garden is £82 but I might be able to find somewhere cheaper a further away from the centre.
Or is this stuupid? I've never stayed in TL before. Help :oops:
DD1 July '07
DD2 August '10
RubLINester

Re: London People I need some advice please!

Postby RedRum » 13 Mar 2012, 23:49

I think price wise that's probably pretty good and I would say quite a cool idea, especially if you hype it up into a big treat. Could you counteract some of the cost by doing lots of free things, like natural history museum, science museum (is that actually free?!), royal academy, v&a, cross the millenium bridge, and then a pricey one like Madame tussauds being a one off?
RedRum

Postby AB&M » 14 Mar 2012, 01:58

Second what rr says. Plus find the bus routes that go by the tourist sites rather than a special. Expensive tour bus! I think at 14 he still gets free travel
But may need a photo card.
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby KateGladTidings » 14 Mar 2012, 07:46

I agree - take a bus past the sights instead of visiting each one. Several routes go from westminster bridge (next to the london eye) past houses of parliament, trafalgar square, piccadilly circus and oxford circus. Could be useful if you're going towards madame tussauds. Off the top of my head, the following'll do the tourist route - 12, 53, 453, 88, 159. 453 goes all the way to madame tussauds!

Agree that the travelodge in covent garden will be the cheapest place to stay in central london!!
Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Postby Toasty Crumpet » 14 Mar 2012, 09:34

Bus routes 9 and 15 use the old routemaster buses and go past all the major sights. There's more info which is really helpful for visitors at TfL's website at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/15101.aspx.
Lovely Crumpet born June 2011 and little Chompy born January 2014.
Toasty Crumpet

Postby FlossiesMum » 14 Mar 2012, 09:54

For the pay attractions look at the 2-for-1 if you go by train offers to reduce the bill a bit http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk

I would try and steer him in favour of some free ones too as others have said. I have only ever walked past Madame Tussauds, never been in, but I have been impressed by the determination of people to stand in a 2 hour queue to get in the door! Not something I'd want to do with small kids in tow. London Zoo is good but....it's a zoo. There are zoos all over the place. There are so many amazing free places to go (Science Museum, British Museum, V&A, Natural History Museum, Tate museums, National Gallery etc) that it seems a shame to spend a lot of money on places that aren't so amazing and cost a bomb.

You can get the normal boat along the river (Clipper or Thames Cruiser i.e. not specifically a sightseeing boat), again with 2-for-1 tickets if you go by train (and under 5s free) which is a good way to see the sights too.
Greenwich & Lewisham Sling Library - 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month. http://www.facebook.com/greenwichlewishamslings
FlossiesMum

Postby scotrail » 24 Mar 2012, 21:32

Totally agree with FM. I've lived in London for ages and never been to the Eye nor MT, I'm both stingy and there is lots of other stuff to do for free. If you are outdoorsy, I love Parliament Hill for the view, better than the Eye, and Freeee! :DD
scotrail

Postby RubLINester » 24 Mar 2012, 22:09

Oh thanks guys, completely forgot to reply to this! I don't thing my nephew realises how much things cost here plus we'll be paying for it all. Kids have never been to Natural History and Science museum and I haven't been to Tate modern for ages so that's what I'd like to do but he's requested Madame T's and that's not something for the lil ones! Oh and London Eye...I've got some tesco vouchers so maybe I can exchange them for the Design Museum or Zoo if they really want to go there...
I've gone off the idea of staying in a hotel so it's probably going to be just a daytrip to London. I used to live in London but pre kids so I am very nervous about going to all of these touristy places during school hols :scream !
Some careful planning is order, thanks for all the links guys :)
DD1 July '07
DD2 August '10
RubLINester

Postby KateGladTidings » 25 Mar 2012, 07:11

Good luck! NHM and Science Museum do get rammed during the schoool hols...but doable. Science Museum will prob be more interestng for your nephew than Madame Tussauds as it's interactive, whereas MT is just kinda looking at stuff....
Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Return to Things to do/Places to go