Pregnancy updates - July

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Pregnancy updates - July

Postby Cofa's Tree » 01 Jul 2015, 20:36

It might only be me posting here after all the recent arrivals! Oh well, I'll just have a chat to myself :D

Past (or is it passed, never sure what the difference is) the 20 week mark now. Had my scan on Monday and everything fine with the baby, but my placenta is a bit low. Hopefully it'll rise up as I expand.

I was so worried that this pregnancy would be the same as Daniel's (being sick for six months, never any respite of feeling crap until he was finally out of me, thinking of him as an alien - but knowing it would fine once he was here -, worries about his growth, my liquor levels, etc, etc), but leaving aside all the two years of problems to get to this point, it's been a breeze so far in terms of how easy it's been going...I might even dare to say, I'm enjoying it!
Cofa's Tree

Re: Pregnancy updates - July

Postby yorkshirepudding » 01 Jul 2015, 21:00

Hi CT! It's not my due date until Sunday so I can keep you company until at least then, despite having a very hot 2 week old here :)

So good your pregnancy is going well, hurray for the 20 week scan! I'm so grateful I never suffered any massive sickness/ pain being pregnant. Btw, one of my friends had extra scans because her placenta was completely blocking the exit, until about 36 weeks when it moved right up and she had a natural delivery so fingers crossed yours does the same. Hope you're managing to keep cool at the mo!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby Fuz-Chan » 01 Jul 2015, 21:56

July! two weeks to go til I have my baby. Its been eventful recently, I had to change hospitals when I moved and when we asked in January / February about places the hospital I am going to now was very accommodating. As I had a c-section with dd I don't have a choice here this time, no clinic or hospital will let me VBAC. I understood that. This place was all "yeah, you can have the baby at night, we'll support you BF etc" and now I'm told I can't, c-section patients aren't allowed their baby at night, they will feed the baby formula for at least the first two days as I will be unable to feed him (and probably won't have any milk anyway being a c-section) etc etc. Needless to say, I threw a massive wobbly, argued with the doctor, his team of midwives, the nurses for hours - but with about ten of them against me its uphill. I'd change places but nowhere else has room so late on. I'd have an unattended home birth but its a bit risky, and I live at least an hour from the nearest hospital if something went wrong ( and it did last time, thats why I ended up with the C).

So far the nursing team have promised never to give him formula without explicitly checking with me first (I'm not going to starve him if I did have a problem, but I'm not letting them feed him without letting me try first, especially as colostrum is already in). DH called (this is the other thing, the doctor ignores me and talks to DH. erm, who is having this baby?!?! Not sure if its because I am female or foreign, but I'm really pissed off. Calling him out on it didn't work either) and they said that provided I am doing well they will make an exception and "allow" me to have my baby in my room with me.

ARGH. Not helped by the MiL thinking I'm being awkward and need to just say yes to everything the doctor says!!! He's a moron. I really pissed him off though because he was lecturing me about how hard BF is after a c-section etc and how I wouldn't be able to do it, and I said "I've done it before, after a c-section, for 2.5 years. How many babies have you personally fed? Do you have experience? No? Then I think its my decision." ARSE.

Woops, that was a bit long! Hope everyone else is having less hassles with their pregnancies...
Fuz-Chan

Postby mindy » 01 Jul 2015, 22:16

Fuz Chan, things are just so different there, it is completely beyond our comprehension! It's easier said than done, but do your utmost to keep your calm through these battles. Sounds like you are slowly but surely chipping away at them, good luck for the next couple of weeks.

CT, it makes me so happy to hear you are not only feeling well but actually enjoying the pregnancy- if anyone deserves that, it's you. Hope you aren't struggling too much in the heat?

YP, we are battling against the Heat big time, small boy can't get cool and hasn't fed well today. I'm toying with giving some cooled boiled water tonight if he doesn't perk up. How are you managing? And any renal news yet?

Just throwing in the idea of a birth pool free to anyone considering a home birth - Raghamuffin sent me hers just for the price of the postage, with the understanding that I would do the same. We used it, it's huge and fab, and the next person would just need to purchase a new liner for it - everything else is there.

If anyone is interested let me know - small boy is still too small and new for me to have packed it all up neatly yet, so I would appreciate a bit of notice! For info, I paid about £12 for next day courier delivery.
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Postby MamaKh » 02 Jul 2015, 12:15

27 weeks, had a bad cold that made me breathless and after being ok for a week it just came back. Nasty cough makes me pee my pants! Feeling slightly better, just very prone to after 4 insomnia. Fights w DH doesn't help.

FC Sounds tough having a baby where things are so... Old school, it sure will be nice to come home from the hospital then. Really love how you told the doctor off! Men and medicine really needs to start respecting motherhood!
Mother of DS1 July 2012, DS2 Sept 2015
BF, Co Sleeping, Sling, EC, BLW, Active parenting, all inspirations and aspirations
MamaKh

Postby yorkshirepudding » 03 Jul 2015, 20:29

Fuz chan it is just so different! I want to say madness but that is just from my perspective, obviously a lot of people there would think our approach here is mad. Surely they can't physically stop you taking your baby to your room?

Should really start a new thread but hello mindy, luckily little E has fed ok during this heat, hope small boy is a bit happier now it's cooled down a bit? She hasn't done the major puking for a few days either so I'm hoping that was just a problem of over filling her tummy. Still very burpy and not being able to lie down comfortably for quite a while after feeds. No news on her kidney, they didn't tell us anything at the scan but the Dr was obviously telling her student that there was still a problem. Nhs communication confusion meant I spent a while on the phone trying to make an appointment that we didn't need but luckily then a sensible secretary understood what was going on and sorted me out. E has another ultrasound at 6 weeks which I'm waiting for an appointment for, and then a follow up with a Dr in August. We've started her on the antibiotics as we don't want an undetected infection to damage her kidney which is what happened to my OH.
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby Fuz-Chan » 04 Jul 2015, 01:05

because health is all private here, it really depends on the hospital's rules, and I have to follow them. I'm going to be a massive pain to them though all the time until they give me what I want. I have to stay a week in hospital (standard, I'm lucky it isn't 10 days with the c-section) and its generally perceived as a week for the mother to rest. The medical staff all clearly think I am mad. Whatever!!!
Fuz-Chan

Postby Cofa's Tree » 04 Jul 2015, 14:35

Cheers yp and mindy :) , and good to hear everyone's latest updates. Hope the ultrasound appt comes through soon yp, and fingers crossed all is well. Hope the recent arrivals are coping ok with the heat.

FC, that sounds a big cultural difference to overcome. Hope you get your way, even if everyone else thinks you are the mad foreign woman!
Cofa's Tree

Postby Fuz-Chan » 04 Jul 2015, 23:50

They already do. Its funny, I used to care but I will do whatever it takes to get to be with the baby, and they can all go to hell. DH is prepared to get complaints about me when he visits. I'm almost hoping I can piss them off enough to throw me out. <evil face>
Fuz-Chan

Postby Fuz-Chan » 06 Jul 2015, 21:29

Haha! Victory! I had to sign a disclaimer to say I was going against their advice but I can have the baby with me in my room. I have to pay extra to have a separate room so I don't disturb the other women - fine. DH has to stay the first night (well, or his mum) to take responsibility for the baby as they think I will be incapable. This time they called in a pediatrician to lecture me about bottle feeding but actually I think it backfired as he listened to all my reasons and said that I was right, as long as everything went smoothly. I asked why they were setting people up for failure from the start and he said that they have to have continency plans in case things go wrong, but that he would support me. OBGYN guy looked really annoyed at that! Hah!
Fuz-Chan

Postby yorkshirepudding » 06 Jul 2015, 21:47

Rah! Well done fuz chan!
yorkshirepudding

Postby Cofa's Tree » 07 Jul 2015, 05:50

Yes! Well done FC for fighting your corner! You must be so pleased :D
Cofa's Tree

Postby MamaKh » 07 Jul 2015, 07:47

So happy to hear FC! Good thing the pediatrician was on the side of the baby (and you!)! There is hopes anyways. It pays to be strong, well done! Hopefully they will learn something in the process!
Mother of DS1 July 2012, DS2 Sept 2015
BF, Co Sleeping, Sling, EC, BLW, Active parenting, all inspirations and aspirations
MamaKh

Postby mindy » 07 Jul 2015, 09:16

FC, that's fantastic news - I'm so pleased and relieved for you. Just need the baby to arrive now......
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Postby Fuz-Chan » 07 Jul 2015, 09:37

Next Thursday. Sadly I'll be stuck there for a week but I go in on Wed, c-section on Thurs. Suppose I should pack a bag...
Fuz-Chan

Next

Return to Pregnancy