Washable maternity pads?

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Washable maternity pads?

Postby RedRum » 12 Feb 2015, 14:48

** Proper crunchy alert **

I know some of you use washable sanitary towels, but I use a mooncup ordinarily (for my very infrequent periods - thank you Mirena) and will probably go back to that when my periods return after this one. I'm wondering though about using washable pads after the birth and whether they'd be practical and/or a worthwhile investment? Did any of you use them after birth or should I just get over it and stock up on sposies. My gut says that while I wouldn't mind sposies for the very early heavy days, I'd rather have a nicer solution once it calms down a bit. There's a pack of 5 for £25 on amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cheeky-Mama-Bam ... hable+pads) although I'm sure there are other options out there. I can't really remember how long I needed pads for after R was born so not sure if it's worthwhile or not.

Any thoughts?
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Re: Washable maternity pads?

Postby ceem » 12 Feb 2015, 16:15

Hiya, I use cloth pads for normal periods but haven't used them post birth but would love to in the future. I have some of the cheeky mama ones in the link, theya re ok but I find the white bamboo stains fairly easily. If you don't mind preloved theres a great pre loved page on facebook where ive got most of mine from.

Im happy to answer any questions, feel free to PM if you prefer x
Hiya! Im a SAHM with DD 2009 , DS1 2012..... 3 little ones both loved and lost peacefully at home and our miracle rainbow DS2 2015.......we practice what comes naturally and we are loving it!
ceem

Postby RedRum » 12 Feb 2015, 16:24

Awesome, thanks ceem. I'm not sure I'm ready for pre-loved for pads (which is stupid as all my nappies are preloved) but I will check out the fb page. What brands do you prefer? And how many do you think I would need, bearing in mind I'd just be chucking them in with nappies so washing at least every other day, and that I'm not really intending on long term use as I'll go back to my mooncup once normal periods resume.
RedRum

Postby ceem » 12 Feb 2015, 17:11

On FB its called CSP sales group. There also a lot of WAHM mums who advertise on there who sell new ones, WAHM mums I like are "EarthJunki" and "The Wood Elves" which are both on facebook and etsy. I also like "TJ cloth nappies" who sell really cheap ones similar to the ones in your link above but they also do charcoal topped which is black so wont stain as easily. I go through about 5-6 in 24 hours on a normal period, and I have around 25-30 altogether which is fine for me washing most days. I rinse them in cold water after use and chuck them in with any wash on 40 degress with some miofresh powder which is antibacterial. then hang to dry. You can also ask for advise on the FB page and also if you wanted to sell tehm on afterwards postpartum pads always seem to sell well on there (I actually use postpartum ones at night) hope that helps x
Hiya! Im a SAHM with DD 2009 , DS1 2012..... 3 little ones both loved and lost peacefully at home and our miracle rainbow DS2 2015.......we practice what comes naturally and we are loving it!
ceem

Postby RedRum » 12 Feb 2015, 17:16

Thanks ceem, really appreciate all the advice. I like the sound of the dark coloured ones so will definitely check those out.
RedRum

Postby ceem » 12 Feb 2015, 17:25

Yes they are good, here is a link http://tjsclothnappies.co.uk/index.php? ... 00_113_117

The 14 inch ones are the biggest they do, they also do 12,10 and 8 inches. You can have minky backed or PUL backed.

I might be interested in any you are selling on afterwards if you decide to get them x
ceem

Postby ceem » 18 Feb 2015, 10:57

HI RR did you manage to look into this more? x
ceem

Postby RedRum » 19 Feb 2015, 08:46

Hey ceem - I've been so busy I'd forgotten to have a look but just been back to look properly and those look like exactly what I was after, thank you! My only thought is that they look enormous!! Do they feel very bulky to wear? I guess maternity pads generally are pretty bulky. Sorry to keep coming back with more questions, but I'm wondering what sort of sizes I ought to get. My loch is lasted about 6 weeks after R but was pretty light after the first week or so (unless my memory is letting me down, it was quite a long time ago!) Do you think a mixture of a few maternity ones and then maybe half a dozen regular ones would work? Bearing in mind I'll be doing a newborn nappy wash most days anyway! Or alternatively I could get say 10 regular and just get some disposables for the very early heavy days. I'm on a pretty tight budget so wary of spending lots on something that'll only get a week or twos wear. WWYD?
RedRum

Postby ceem » 31 Mar 2015, 17:34

Hi RR Just realised I never got back to you on this, so sorry! are you still interested? When are you due? x
ceem

Return to Pregnancy