What do I actually need?

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Re: What do I actually need?

Postby sabrina fair » 03 Feb 2015, 19:15

Lily wrote:I really loved my bfing pillow, it was brilliant for preventing sore neck, back and arms in those early months of marathon feeds. It's a My Brest Friend (I know, cringey) - it might suit your purposes as they also make an inflatable version which packs really small for travelling.

Had the same thing which I really really loved with monkeyboy but never used with squidge. The latter was a quicker feeder and had better latch than his brother and I'd mastered feeding lying down with him much quicker. So I'd probably wait to see how you and the baby get on before investing - they're big and not cheap.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby Treeb » 03 Feb 2015, 19:44

I had a Boppy nursing pillow which I hated and never used. I was much happier just using a regular bed pillow. (I have heard that the "My Brest Friend" is much better than the Boppy though.)
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 03 Feb 2015, 21:34

I have some swaddles you are more than welcome to borrow - see if bubs takes to them. Both mind loved being swaddled so I have 3 or 4. If you would like them, let me know (and I promise I will post them to you!!!) :wink:
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Violet_Cue » 03 Feb 2015, 21:48

I loved my "My Brest friend" lent it to my cousin and never saw it again. Bought a used one for little bit... but if we had a good latch from the start or I wasn't so large chested I might not need it. This is a pattern for one in case you are handy - she even suggests you could make it and then stuff with whatever (all the 900 baby blankets people seem to give you?)

We just used water for our wipes... and from the tap at that! But you may want some sort of bum cream that works? Unless you have coconut oil on hand anyway - we used that. Agree that a wetbag is fine. We got a medium one for J (overnight cloth) and it is hung on the handle at the top of the stairs... easy for putting in dirty diapers, easy to grab and bring down to the laundry... may get a bucket for little bit or may just get a bigger one for when the two are soiling dipes...

Somewhere to sleep, something to eat, stuff for them to wear... that's the top things... I agree with the nail clippers... although my friend always bit her tiny ones nails if that works for you, lol.

Bathtub you can skip... they can join you, be bathed in the sink, (or if you are terrible like us - rarely bathed at all!) sponge bath when they are very tiny. :)

I keep finding things we "need" but we don't really (my latest is amber necklace. Which we will get, just not right now...)
Canadian mom to J - Feb 2011 and L - March 2015
See my face painting at www.facebook.com/create.a.face.nl
Violet_Cue

Postby ToothFairy » 03 Feb 2015, 23:40

RR, I might have a popup travel cot I can let you have. I'll need to ask DH. I certainly DID have one a while back! I'll let you know.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby RedRum » 04 Feb 2015, 09:36

Thank you all so much, I've found the responses really useful.

TF - that would be amazing, will happily pay you for it.

I think based on the mixed responses I'll see how I get on without a bf pillow, can always get hold of one later if it seems like it would help. Baby bath is another thing I had for R that was never used, although I did have a big plastic storage box that she used as a bath when we were living in NY in a teeny flat with no shower :D

HF - thank you so much for the offer but I think I will figure out if he/she actually likes to be swaddled first!
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Postby ToothFairy » 04 Feb 2015, 10:19

If we still have it it's in the garage, DH is going to have a look later. He seems to think we don't have it any more. I'll let you know.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby RedRum » 04 Feb 2015, 10:31

TF - thank you, don't worry if not x

Treek - did you buy extra covers for the sleepyhead? I can just about bring myself to invest in the pod itself but the spare covers feels like a step too far as they're half as much again! Size wise do you think a fitted moses basket sheet would do the trick?
RedRum

Postby Toasty Crumpet » 04 Feb 2015, 10:36

We had a tummy tub we used to bathe Crumpet in. LC hated it, and the baby bath seats we borrowed from friends, so we just sort of didn't bathe her until she was big enough to sit in the bath (in a cage seat). Who says babies need bathing!
Lovely Crumpet born June 2011 and little Chompy born January 2014.
Toasty Crumpet

Postby treek » 04 Feb 2015, 11:38

No! I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for covers, so the sleepyhead is covered in a waterproof cotbed sheet and then a cotbed sheet over that (I do have moses basket sheets somewhere, but haven't tried them on it. Not sure if they'd be a bit small? I'll see if I can hunt them out and try it for you:). They're tucked in nice and tight underneath so there's no risk she'll end up with them over her face.
As an added bonus it also means that we don't have to change the sleepyhead cover if she's sick/nappy leaks-it's a complete pita to get back on! Just whip off the top sheets and put new ones on! :D
Totally agree about bathing - little one had a quick dip at 2 days old after a meconium explosion and that's it! She'll be 8 weeks on Friday :oops:
treek

Postby mamapup » 04 Feb 2015, 17:59

Want my swaddle blanket for free? Wasn't going to charge for it. It's nice and light.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby mindy » 04 Feb 2015, 20:15

I bathed both my girls in the kitchen sink until they were about 6 months - bathroom is up 3 flights of stairs, too much like hard work!
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Postby RedRum » 04 Feb 2015, 22:47

Thanks mp, but I'm ok, I'll give swaddling with a muslin/blanket a go and see Howe get on and if he/she likes it!

We have a washing up bowl in the camper that's gonna have to do for a bath I think!
RedRum

Postby ches » 08 Feb 2015, 03:48

I've always been of the opinion that you need nappies, boobs, car seat and a wrap. All the rest is a luxury. :D
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby CaelaCoo » 12 Feb 2015, 19:21

Well this is what I have, some may be useful some not:-

Double pushchair
Moses basket and stand
Nappies/wipes
Muslin clothes
Bibs
Bottles/steraliser (going to try breast again but this is back up)
Blankets
Clothing
Coat
Bath (was bought for me or I wouldn't bother)
Hats
Milk for if breast fails
Baby bag for going out
Feeding pillow

Anything else I need would be bought upon needing. At the ,moment I think I have essentials

Edited to add that I had one of these for molly for the bath. She loved it and fell asleep many times with it. Made bath time easier as I felt I didn't have to grip a slippery new born. Will be purchasing one again
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delta-Baby-Easy ... B003D4XFS4
*Moo moo's (26/03/13)*
*baby c (4/3/15)*
CaelaCoo

Previous

Return to Pregnancy