What do I actually need?

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

What do I actually need?

Postby RedRum » 03 Feb 2015, 15:47

I'm sure there have been many threads like this, but humour me, it's been a really long time since I had a baby, and I've forgotten it all! I also have slightly unusual circumstances in that we're planning to rent our house out from roughly end of June/early July and spend 6-9 months travelling in the UK and Europe, living in our camper so very limited space so I really want to keep stuff to an absolute bare minimum.

It's due in mid May and we don't know the gender. I'm intending to BF and not really up for buying in bottles etc just in case as that feels like admitting defeat before I've started!

Here's what's on my list so far (* means I already own this)

- Good range of nappies, little lambs size one (mixture of bamboo and microfibre) with motherease airflow wraps, and totsbots easyfit birth to potty, plus a few others, with a load of boosters and disposable liners, plus washable wipes.*
- Spray bottles and essential oils for use with washable wipes
- Changing bag
- Changing mat
- Washable breast pads
- Nursing bras*
- Lansinoh
- Car seat*
- Crib* (leftover from R, didn't get much use and may not even bother to get it down from the attic, but if I do will buy a new mattress)
- Umbrella fold stroller (Mamas and Papas, lies flat)*
- Cocoon/carry cot to lie in stroller (hand me down lined up)
- Bamboo stretchy wrap (happy baby wrap)*
- Mei Tai style carrier (Napsack baby)*
- Sleepyhead pod
- Cellular blankets and sheets
- Summer weight grobags
- Pop up travel cot (like this - had one for R and LOVED it)
- Muslins
- Calpol
- Maternity pads
- Sunshade/tent
- Some sleepsuits, rompers etc (have some bits and pieces already, not planning on buying masses until we know what it is and how big it is!)

So talk to me, what have I forgotten, what can't I do without, and what (if anything) can I cull from the list?
Last edited by RedRum on 03 Feb 2015, 18:36, edited 2 times in total.
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Re: What do I actually need?

Postby Feefielou » 03 Feb 2015, 16:21

1) I love this list, thank you for making my life easier
2) that travel cot thingy is awesome. I want one!
3) I just looked through a similar list that I wrote for a friend of mine who is about to have her first baby, and everything I put on my list is already on yours, with the exception of: a bucket to put used nappies in; an assortment of bottles of hand sanitiser for on-the-go nappy changes; and a few health-related items that you might already have or you might not consider necessary, e.g. thermometer, snot sucker, nail clippers.
4) If you really want to cull, maybe wait and see how V2 likes being wrapped up before getting a swaddle wrap? We got some as gifts and they were firmly rejected, never used.
5) What is a sleepyhead pod?
Brit living in France/Switzerland, Mum to Moonbeam born December 2013, Lentil born August 2015.
Feefielou

Postby RedRum » 03 Feb 2015, 16:35

Thanks feefielou! In response to your points.....

1) <bows graciously>
2) It really is brilliant. It was R's main cot really until she went into a bed at 14 months (she always hated cots and wouldn't sleep in her proper one but slept in the pop up one). No sore backs from bending over, you can just sit, lie on the floor next to them, and very light weight and easy to pack up and transport.
3) I have a few wet bags for a nappies, so will see how I get on with them, but will definitely add a selection of spray bottles and some essential oils to the list. I never had a thermometer for R but might invest!
4) Good point - R never really liked being swaddled now I think about it, maybe someone will give me one and I can find out for free ;)
5) This is a sleepyhead pod. I haven't tried one (don't think they were around when R was little) but everyone I know who has swears by them for helping non-sleeping babies to sleep. It's the most expensive item on my list, but feels like a worthwhile spend.

One more question - breastfeeding pillows, worthwhile or waste of time?
RedRum

Postby mindy » 03 Feb 2015, 16:39

Don't forget stuff for you - maternity pads (yuk), big cheap knickers suitable for ditching if necessary, and - v important - a couple of roomy, floaty but definitely non-maternity tops/dresses so you can feel good even when you have a jelly belly! Not that you will, of course.......
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Postby treek » 03 Feb 2015, 16:40

I'd go for a wetbag over a bucket, then it'll work for out and about as well as at home.
Feeding pillow? A few emergency disposables?

Feefielou - the Sleepyhead is a lifesaver for us! Basically it's a cosy nest for baby to sleep in which makes them feel held and safe. I looked at them before baby arrived and decided they were a bit expensive....after 3 nights of her only sleeping on me I ordered it from JL and haven't looked back :D
treek

Postby t&n's mummy » 03 Feb 2015, 16:41

I wouldn't bother with the swaddle wrap as they grow out of them quickly, but if you want to swaddle, a swaddle muslin that can also be used as a lightweight blanket/sun shade etc is very useful, they are just the extra large size muslins.
Personally I wouldn't bother with the stroller either (and all related paraphernalia) we did 6 weeks in a camper van around nz when n was 6 months...

At some point, a travel high chair type thing would be useful, can recommend the mothercare one, but I would wait until you need it to get it.
Have you got clothes for nursing in, vests/shirts are good if you don't want actual nursing clothes.
It sounds like you are sorted, have fun travelling!
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Postby mindy » 03 Feb 2015, 16:42

Ps - HOW MUCH for the pop-up travel cot??!!!

I used an old v pillow rather than a specific breadt feeding one, but actually usually did fine without. My friend however travelled everywhere with her breastfeeding pillow, horses for courses I suppose.
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Postby t&n's mummy » 03 Feb 2015, 16:43

I would think you would find one of those at an nct sale...
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Postby RedRum » 03 Feb 2015, 16:47

t&n's mummy wrote:I wouldn't bother with the swaddle wrap as they grow out of them quickly, but if you want to swaddle, a swaddle muslin that can also be used as a lightweight blanket/sun shade etc is very useful, they are just the extra large size muslins.
Personally I wouldn't bother with the stroller either (and all related paraphernalia) we did 6 weeks in a camper van around nz when n was 6 months...

Right, swaddle wraps are coming off the list.

Re the stroller, I agree, we've already been given a hand me down one, so will see how much use it gets, but I wouldn't have planned to buy one otherwise iyswim.

Mindy - good point re pads and knickers and floaty things. I didn't think the travel cot was particularly expensive... Especially if it's for regular rather than occasional use.... am I very out of touch?!
RedRum

Postby Lily » 03 Feb 2015, 17:51

I really loved my bfing pillow, it was brilliant for preventing sore neck, back and arms in those early months of marathon feeds. It's a My Brest Friend (I know, cringey) - it might suit your purposes as they also make an inflatable version which packs really small for travelling.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Kanga » 03 Feb 2015, 18:10

Whereas I've never used a nursing cushion and not felt like I was missing anything. Just personal preference I guess.

Have you got some kind of sunshade thing? Ifntoubthink you'll need it. You can get little uv protection tents for use on the beach, or a canopy for a buggy. Not so useful if its in the sling most of the time though!

Sounds like you're pretty much sorted really :) Only other thing that crossed my mind was any kind of teething powders/calpol etc if you won't be able to get hold of it?
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby RedRum » 03 Feb 2015, 18:31

Oh yes, good idea kanga!
RedRum

Postby mamapup » 03 Feb 2015, 19:03

Bf pillow sounds over rated to me. Chuck a couple of old cushions around and bam, sorted.
I have a nice cotton swaddle light thing you can have if you like. Both mine hated swaddles, or maybe I didnt fancy swaddling, not susure which. Basically this is a mamas and papas swaddle thing That I used a few times as a light blanket. Want it?
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Nix » 03 Feb 2015, 19:09

I wish I would have bought a zip up foot muff for the car seat with the first two. It was a godsend with Pippa it made her so snug and I even used it most summer days too to protect from the rain/wind.

How about a bath seat? We used a net lie back one initially and then a plastic swivel one from 6 months.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby mamapup » 03 Feb 2015, 19:14

Mosquito net? SuN Hat, paddling pool.
Where are you going?
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Next

Return to Pregnancy