Soooo perenial massage anyone???

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Soooo perenial massage anyone???

Postby nearlymumtobabyfk » 31 Dec 2014, 23:13

I had forgotten about this delight, but friend mentioned it the other day and I'm just wondering if folks have/are doing it. I'm not even sure if I could reach to be honest but I'm in the 'give anything a go' camp when.it comes to prenatal prep...
Mum to A, 2010, and R, 2015
nearlymumtobabyfk

Re: Soooo perenial massage anyone???

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 31 Dec 2014, 23:36

I did a little bit first time round (or rather dh did as I couldn't reach!!!) but not much - and tore. Second time round, i nearly ripped his hand off as the scar was so sensitive!!!! Seriously, I thought he'd taken a knife to me! So a nano second of massage - and a tore, but onky a couple of stitches!

I think it's probably worth doing but doing right - every day for several weeks rather than the on/off way I did it!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby nearlymumtobabyfk » 31 Dec 2014, 23:53

I'm just not sure I could even ask dp to do it. Which I realise is ridiculous, but sadly true. I'll have to investigate my flexibility....
nearlymumtobabyfk

Postby mamapup » 01 Jan 2015, 00:13

I did both times. Stopped as soon as realised I needed a section with the puppy. Did it second time and tore slightly. Oh god, that sounds awful now, nine months on!

One leg on bed should allow it!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Nix » 01 Jan 2015, 00:17

I did it a little bit each time and no tears. Apparently I pushed them all out very carefully and slowly though so that probably did it. My boys had a head circumference of 35.5 and pippa was 34.5.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby junglewonderland » 01 Jan 2015, 06:16

The research I read said it reduces tearing for the first birth, but on subsequent births it makes no difference. So I did it the first time, found it the most unpleasant thing I could imagine, but happily endured it knowing I would never have to do it again. You're off the hook, I reckon.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby Singale » 01 Jan 2015, 08:27

I'm in the "I'll try anything if it might help & couldn't do any harm" camp. A bit of (self-) massage, plus two weeks worth of epi-no sessions.

The massage was uncomfortable, the epi-no excercises less so, until you get to the "giving birth" part. Both times I never managed to get beyond 8.5 cm with the epi-no, but - at least the second time around - it helped me recognise the sensation & helped me to stay in focus in controling Pferdle's descent & head exit so I did not have any tear.

Now thinking back to it, I think the epi-no also helped me with that recognition at Tigerle's birth just in time as otherwise she'd either be born in the loo or on the floor of the birth room's toilet :scream

The "it wouldn't help second time around" opinion about the massage doesn't make sense to me. Surely a moisturizer you apply months ago to your skin wouldn't moisturize your skin today but those that you apply more recently would? The same with excercise, stretch or a massage. You might have done them months ago but after some time the effect will wear off & you'd need to do them again.
Tigerle's mum since Sept 2010
And now Pferdle's as well since July 2014
Singale

Postby Kitcameron » 01 Jan 2015, 09:57

I couldn't bring myself to do it either time and had a minor tear with both but not enough to warrant stitches. We (dh and I) did find that I had a hole in one labia after CMs birth but not sure if it was related or not. Mentioned it to doc and he pulled a 'that's weird' face but said it it wasn't painful or itchy or anything just to see what happened. I don't know if it's still there or not lol
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby t&n's mummy » 01 Jan 2015, 10:08

Nope I didn't either time, had a small tear that didn't need stitches with t and nothing with n.
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Postby nearlymumtobabyfk » 01 Jan 2015, 11:30

Jw - emergency section last time, so I think it prob does still count for me...
Singale - just checked out epi-no. Looks, interesting....
I think I'll def get on the massage - part of my new years pre natal plans, which are now shaping up as, do pelvic floors, massage, eat more iron, remember lactulose, order birth stuff, at least look at old baby stuff soon, do yoga....and on...
nearlymumtobabyfk

Postby Treeb » 01 Jan 2015, 13:58

I'm with jw having heard that it's not needed the second time because you are already stretched from giving birth previously. We did it the first time but not very reliably, and I'm not planning to this time. Only had minor tearing last time.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby DandelionFrosting » 01 Jan 2015, 14:02

I did it sporadically bothtimes, but I don't think I really stretched it as much as you're supposed to. It was really uncomfortable. I still tore the first time and had to get an episiotomy the second time, although that might have been more of a precaution because Zilla was breech. So . . . inconclusive. It could be that the massage was useless, or it could be that I was just useless at doing it.
nearlymumtobabyfk wrote: part of my new years pre natal plans, which are now shaping up as, do pelvic floors, massage, eat more iron, remember lactulose, order birth stuff, at least look at old baby stuff soon, do yoga....and on...

That's a lot of stuff to do, especially while pregnant! ::pom poms::
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby fourweewonders » 01 Jan 2015, 14:35

I never did anything (the whole concept seemed freaky to me) and didnt tear, B was a back to back delivery, I dont know if that might have made me less likely to tear as it to forever to get him through my pelvis the wrong way up so was nice and slow. E popped out like a cork in two pushes the midwife clearly expected me to have done some damage, she did remark something along the lines of "wow you dont even need stitches"
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby treek » 01 Jan 2015, 14:45

Didn't do it with either of the girls, both were back to back. With Toots I had an episiotomy and tore and this time *just* the episiotomy.
treek

Return to Pregnancy