Maternity ward advice

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Maternity ward advice

Postby Violet_Cue » 24 Dec 2014, 00:38

So... you can't do homebirth here unless you are going to pay out of pocket for a midwife (of which there is only one and she is plenty booked even if I was so inclined.) The hospital is currently having great issues with the maternity ward... and basically private rooms are a rarity, more likely you are in a room with 3 other mums (and their babies, and their partners, and for 2 hours twice a day everyone else then know while visiting hours are on.)

Barring forgetting to go to the hospital (DH not on board, lol.) and checking myself out as soon as they wash the baby down (even with the second you stay at least one night) any thoughts on how to get through this?

With J I was in a private right away (great since I was up all night labouring and hit the room about 6am) and we were in for 5 days as he was early (36w1d) and quite jaundiced...
Canadian mom to J - Feb 2011 and L - March 2015
See my face painting at www.facebook.com/create.a.face.nl
Violet_Cue

Re: Maternity ward advice

Postby Kanga » 24 Dec 2014, 02:09

Ear plugs?! I'd probably go with discharging myself ASAP I have to say. They can't actually make you stay surely?!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby NorthernKitten » 24 Dec 2014, 04:54

Use the curtains... I had three nights in a shared ward with munchkin, and we just kept the curtains closed pretty much the whole time.

On the fourth and final night we were given a private room as bp was staying stubbornly high and I convinced a midwife all I needed was some peace and quiet so i could sleep to bring it down again... She agreed, and I slept. Lo and behold, blood pressure came Down enough after one night to be discharged. Not a plan I'd recommend though!!

Taking the same strategy this time... And a more hardened attitude towards other people and any snide comments they choose to make! (Horrid woman in the bed opposite - totally mean to, and about, everyone - patient or staff. Quite upset little naive me...)
Mummy to a munchkin (Dec 12) and a mini munchkin (due Jan 15) and part-time teacher of teenaged terrors.
NorthernKitten

Postby FestiveTidings » 24 Dec 2014, 06:16

That's standard practice in your local hospital, I had 3 days of it each gone as I had sections with both boys.

Curtains are your best friend for when you need peace but I actually found the other mums in my ward very friendly and supportive. Having said that, I cpuldbt wait to get home because I was being woken every 3 hrs so they could take me temp and pump me full of AB's!

Earplugs are a good idea they don't block everything out, just dull it down enough to sleep so you will still hear baby, as is an eye mask for sleeping during the day.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby pirate_han » 24 Dec 2014, 07:10

With B I stayed for three days on a shared ward where none of the other new mums spoke English, I found it really isolating as the midwife support was very minimal and the only time I could speak to someone was when DH arrived at 1pm. I'm having a c section again this time but I'm going to ask if my hospital offers accelerated recovery (barring no complications, home after 24 hours on the promise of recreating bed rest at home and daily visits from the community MWs) and if they don't I will discharge myself after 24hrs as judging on the level of support I had last time I would get more from DH at home where I could actually sleep and eat.
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby Nix » 24 Dec 2014, 07:30

My best birth was with Pippa where she arrived at 9:45 and there was a 6 hour discharge rate and I was home for 7pm. I hated staying on the shared ward with Harvey. If you have a normal birth and you feel up to going home then do so ASAP!
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby difdif » 24 Dec 2014, 08:06

I was in a 6 bed ward both times. DS1 was a bit early and had slight temp so stayed for 3 nights - with DS2 all was fine some home in less than 24h. I was of course disturbed by the others but nobody was nasty. I kind of just stayed within my own 'bubble'. Just get home as soon as possible :-)
The wee Scotsmen F Sep 08 and C Jan 11
difdif

Postby Brigitte » 24 Dec 2014, 08:26

For both of my births (babies arrived in the afternoon/evening) I checked myself out the next morning with the full support of my midwives. It seems to be rather standard here to check out as soon as you can manage if you've got a midwife who will come check on you at home. Some women check themselves out within a few hours of giving birth. I don't see how they could force you to stay.
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby ToothFairy » 24 Dec 2014, 08:41

Martha was born at 2.31am, I left hospital at 2.30pm. Elsie was born at 12.25am and I was out of hospital at 4.30am, driving myself home :oops: :oops: (Dylan was born at home)
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby nearlymumtobabyfk » 24 Dec 2014, 09:41

Shared wards are standard here for postnatal care, usually 4 to a ward. It was a fairly hideous 3 days for me - just because you can't settle properlu, there's not much space and you can't get any sleep during the day, which I really needed with my little night owl! I must say the extra support with feeding was really helpful tho, so a definite positive. I'm really hoping to avoid the ward this time. But if I can't I plan to ask for a sidecar cot, and get earplugs and eye mask as suggested above. Oh, and a constant outside caterer, as the food was bloody awful
Mum to A, 2010, and R, 2015
nearlymumtobabyfk

Postby Ali70 » 24 Dec 2014, 11:11

I really wanted a private room, but ended up in a shared ward of 4. I'm so glad I did. I had a private room when I was admitted for steroids and it was actually quite lonely. I was really grateful not to be completely on my own, unable to get out of bed (csection) with a newborn I had no clue what to do with. Seeing the other mums looking as bewildered as me was quite helpful, and just having midwives and healthcare assistants pottering around made me feel a bit more confident. We just closed the curtains whenever we wanted privacy. I did ask the midwife to ask the woman opposite to turn her TV down though - I wasn't happy with my 1 day old being subjected to Jeremy Kyle at top volume!
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Postby Turtle'sMammy » 24 Dec 2014, 12:29

With T I was in for 17 days (high BP) on a ward of 8. Fun times.
It wasn't too bad after the birth (day 11) as DH was allowed to stay past visiting hours.
Mother to T, July 2008 & A, June 2012
http://turtleturtleturtle.wordpress.com/
Turtle'sMammy

Postby Violet_Cue » 24 Dec 2014, 13:00

Thanks ladies - it helps to know I am not alone - I just know with J I had little BF support (they required he have formula from the start b/c he was born before 37 wks) the pump wasn't wells sized, etc. I think because I was so determined they figured it was a waste of resources when there were young mums to convince to BF. (I did sort it out on my own, by the time he was 3 weeks old)

I think a mask and earplugs, a constant supply of fruit, and the plan to stay in my bubble will help. I work in a callsite, so I actually have a good bit of practice with tuning out what's around me - a good plan for this.

Now if I could figure a way to get over the shared bathroom (ick) - recently there were stories of one of the rooms' bathrooms being out so their were 8+ people using the one shared. Lots of antibacterial wipes methinks.

And fingers crossed we are happy and healthy as I will be out as soon as I can get them to discharge me. :) DH is home, so there will certainly be more support (and better food!) in our little country house.
Canadian mom to J - Feb 2011 and L - March 2015
See my face painting at www.facebook.com/create.a.face.nl
Violet_Cue

Postby lizandimo » 24 Dec 2014, 20:40

Violet_Cue wrote:Now if I could figure a way to get over the shared bathroom (ick) - recently there were stories of one of the rooms' bathrooms being out so their were 8+ people using the one shared. Lots of antibacterial wipes methinks.

Where I was (shared room of 2) they had gloves and antibacterial wipes in the bathroom and they made us wipe down the seat before and after using it!
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Postby catkin » 27 Dec 2014, 00:36

Assuming you're not actually expected to give birth in the shared room, that would be pretty good service here. 6-8 in a room where we were. I didn't honestly care much, I was too happy about having my babies. If I hadn't had medical scares I'd have gone home rather than staying overnight, but it was really no big deal. You eat, you feed, you sleep, you have a chat with the other mums in passing and admire babies, you hand baby over to partner when they can be there and take a shower and a nap.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Return to Pregnancy