Milk Supply Drop?

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Re: Milk Supply Drop?

Postby Kitcameron » 17 Nov 2014, 10:05

Kmac225 wrote:Is it common the older they get to nurse for shorter periods of time..

Yes, definitely, they get more efficient at feeding so it takes a shorter period of time to get a full feed.

Also, that nursing, solids, cleaning, repeat cycle is very familiar to many mums when they first start solids on blw. Sometimes it seems like that's all you do for a couple of months, but it will relax a bit as they get better at solids and start eating more so nursing less.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Kmac225 » 09 Jan 2015, 20:04

Now at my sons 9 month check up he lost 3oz in a month. So he's dropping down to I think 3rd or 4th percentile. My pediatrician recommended continuing breastfeeding, but adding some cows whole milk. I was skeptical since I didn't think you were supposed to introduce cows milk until one year but I don't like the fact that he lost some ounces, never mind not gaining. He is extremely active, never stays still and is starting to stand/pull himself up. So I tried the whole milk, but his cheeks get red if he has too much. Plus I have to make a big effort to get him to drink it. I'm guessing the red cheeks is too much protein too early, this also happens with egg whites. My pedi said I can switch to almond milk, coconut milk or soy. I drink almond milk so that would be easiest for me to switch to, but is this a smart choice? Isn't the whole point is the fat? I didn't think almond milk had enough of the fat content that babies need.
Proud breastfeeding mamma of one with another baby on the way!

MacIlroy - March '14
Baby #2 due June '15
Kmac225

Postby emzit » 09 Jan 2015, 21:39

Is there a reason she hadn't suggested formula?
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Kitcameron » 09 Jan 2015, 22:04

Cows milk isn't normally recommended as a child's only source of food before 1 year but they can have it, it's not going to make them I'll, unless they have an allergy or something. My daughter started drinking cows milk at 10.5 months when she suddenly dropped all breast feeds.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Violet_Cue » 17 Jan 2015, 19:26

We introduced cow's milk at around 9 or 10 months in a cup, but he never did take much until I went back to work.

We also didn't have much change in weight between 6 months and a year, but there was no worry because he was so high on the scale that it meant dropping from 95th to 60th or something, so they didn't care. If LO is maintaining their weight (3oz difference? That's not all that much when you are talking a baby that could have that in a pee or one feeding) and is happy, healthy, active and so on I am not sure there should be as much worry as they are putting on you. I certainly might think there was something other than supply at hand... are you and DH small? He could be taking after his parents. Or is there a possibility that there is a nutritional/ absorption issue besides?

As for the rest I might see if he was more able to get other fats in another way... is he eating more solids? We did salmon baked in butter and pepper, very creamy potatoes, scrambled eggs with cheese, etc... If still nursing I wouldn't see much issue in not having the fat from the almond milk, but there should be other sources for the same goals and values. I can't see almond milk being the best nutritional suppliant... however I am also not a nutritionist and haven't looked into it.
Canadian mom to J - Feb 2011 and L - March 2015
See my face painting at www.facebook.com/create.a.face.nl
Violet_Cue

Previous

Return to Pregnancy