Pregnant and Breastfeeding

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Pregnant and Breastfeeding

Postby Kmac225 » 28 Oct 2014, 22:35

Just became pregnant..6weeks. I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 7month old. I'm also taking progesterone because of recurrent miscarriages in the past.
I've read that my milk supply could decrease...anyone know how I will know if it is? Or does anyone have any experience with their milk supply decreasing while pregnant?
It's made me focus a lot on BLW because im afraid he will end up not getting enough brreastmilk.....I should stop worrying but I'm sure the hormones are taking over! :? So everything seems worse then it really is!
Proud breastfeeding mamma of one with another baby on the way!

MacIlroy - March '14
Baby #2 due June '15
Kmac225

Re: Pregnant and Breastfeeding

Postby Nix » 28 Oct 2014, 23:13

Don't panic! Congratulations and well done for feeding your baby still! My son was 12 months when I got my positive pregnancy test but I was feeding him often (at least 8 times a day). At first I had sore nipples but once I was over that, my supply didn't noticeably drop until I was around the four months mark. Everyone is different but you will just have to see how it goes for you. we decided to introduce a bottle of cows milk for Harvey when he was 16 months as he still received a lot of comfort from sucking and that bottle seemed to help him settle and sleep longer at night. I would still breastfeed him in the night and during the day as normal on demand although I don't know how much milk was there by the end.

If you get that far, don't be surprised by some toddler diarrhoea as colostrum is a laxative. It didn't seem to bother H at all. I even fed him whilst in early labour with J and when he came into visit us at the hospital he was eagar to feed.

We tandem fed for five months. In the early days H was really useful for helping with any engorgment or blocked ducts I had. I did develop a nursing aversion to H feeding once I had my newborn about, I felt bad but I did start restricting the duration of his feeds and telling him that soon it would be time for him to stop.

When he was 25 months he announced that mummy milk was just for babies and he didn't want it anymore. I was quite relieved.

Good luck with whatever you decide. You can always help blw out a bit with loaded spoons of more filling foods like porridge etc. All the practice baby is getting at eating right now is preparing him to be weaned off milk any time after 12 months that you choose and it's not that far away if you think about it xx
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby Kmac225 » 29 Oct 2014, 01:00

Thanks so much for your reply! How did you know when your supply decreased?
You offered some really great advice.

MacIlroy - March '14
Baby #2 due June '15
Kmac225

Postby NorthernKitten » 29 Oct 2014, 07:36

Congrats!

I fed munchkin until I was about 18 weeks, although it was a little different as she was already only on 2-3 feeds. I'm not sure if supply ever did really drop. But she became a lot fussier at the breast and would frequently want to swap sides, which apparently is a sign of reduction.

Be warned sore nipples though!

Good luck.
Mummy to a munchkin (Dec 12) and a mini munchkin (due Jan 15) and part-time teacher of teenaged terrors.
NorthernKitten

Postby Nix » 29 Oct 2014, 08:20

Yeah as northern kitten said I noticed Harvey fussing at the breast and he kept asking to swap sides and generally seemed unsettled after each feed.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby Kmac225 » 29 Oct 2014, 10:56

Thanks ladies.
Hopefully it doesnt drop until he's at least a year old because I really don't want to supplement with formula! And yes, I have the sore nipples now! Congrats on your little one due in Jauary northern kitten :)

I'm hoping Mother Nature takes over and by the time my supply drops he will be reducing his feeds and eating more solids anyways.....I mean I'd assume that's how they did it back when there was no such thing as formula....

MacIlroy - March '14
Baby #2 due June '15
Kmac225

Postby junglewonderland » 29 Oct 2014, 11:24

My supply tanked at about 20 weeks and I could tell because my 2.5 year old booby fiend told me! Other friends have told me that their supply decreased around 16-20 weeks pregnant, others kept feeding all through pregnancy. Don't worry about using formula if you need to, it is the next best thing to breast milk and you have done an amazing job feeding your baby so far! We are lucky to have formula, back in the day babies had condensed milk instead, that's what my mum had instead of breast milk!
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Return to Pregnancy