Rare/pink meat

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Rare/pink meat

Postby RedRum » 11 Oct 2014, 12:07

Hi all

Looking for a bit of guidance. I've been doing my research on what foods I should actually avoid (as opposed to just blindly avoiding everything!) and I've reached the following conclusions, mostly based on the actually very useful nhs page here:

Blue cheese = no (don't like it anyway so that's fine by me)
Mould ripened cheese = ok if heated all the way through
All other cheese = fine
Cured meat = ok if cooked or previously frozen
Uncooked/runny eggs = risk of salmonella, no risk of harm to the baby = I'll take my chances
Shellfish = fine if cooked
Raw fish in sushi = fine if previously frozen = bog standard packaged sushi is fine, if you're in a restaurant ask
Swordfish/marlin = no
Tuna = don't overdo it
Pate = no (including vege pate)
Liver = no

Now the only thing I'm unsure about still is rare meat. The risk is of toxoplasmosis which can harm the baby, and the nhs guidance apparently used to be that as long as meat is sealed (ie the surface is completely cooked, but apparently this is under review so the guidance currently is that meat should be cooked through. All I can find elsewhere online is of the "I ate rare steak when I was pregnant and my baby was fine" variety, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me any science based idea if how likely the risk of toxoplasmosis actually is in good quality meat which is pink in the middle so that I can make an informed decision. If be a bit gutted to give it up but will of course if that seems to be the most sensible route.

TIA x
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Re: Rare/pink meat

Postby junglewonderland » 11 Oct 2014, 12:16

Ooooh, will be following with interest! Where's Ches when you need her? I'm sure PM and the sciencey types will be along soon....
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby FestiveTidings » 11 Oct 2014, 12:18

Good luck RR. I also tried to find this out as one of my main cravings was a medium fillet steak. Unfortunately I couldnt find anything so I just made do with sirloin well done and drowned in pepper sauce to hide my disappointment!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby Gizmo » 11 Oct 2014, 13:06

I used to love a steak so rare it was practically still walking round the field. I did avoid it when pregnant just to be on the safe side. One of the first things I did when they were out though is go to my favourite restaurant and have a massive juicy one, it was worth waiting for :D
Gizmo

Postby RedRum » 13 Oct 2014, 15:49

Just for the record for those wondering, I asked the mw and she said meat should be cooked through. She said in her opinion it wasn't worth the risk. She also said not to worry about the two or three meals involving pink beef and lamb that I've had so far. I think I'll probably stick to what she's said, although in practice it will probably mean that we eat chicken and pork this winter as I'm not sure I'm really up for eating well done beef!

She was still slightly vague and only mentioned listeria and salmonella, not toxoplasmosis, so I'm still not convinced that it's a particularly conclusive answer, but I'll defer for now.
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Postby Marrow » 13 Oct 2014, 18:52

RedRum wrote:Blue cheese = no (don't like it anyway so that's fine by me)

I know you said you don't like it, but I really really do. So this is just for the record...
hard blue cheeses (e.g. stilton) are fine, as are soft blue cheeses (e.g. roquefort) if they are cooked.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby oriel » 27 Oct 2014, 16:14

Liver is fine, even if the NHS say no (not evidence-based). Maybe I'll come back and add my rant about that sometime.
Faith 12.12.2007—29.12.2009.
Zoe 19.07.2013.
oriel

Return to Pregnancy