What to prepare for homebirth?

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

What to prepare for homebirth?

Postby Biddy » 10 Jul 2014, 20:09

So far there's no sign of imminent inlaw invasion... So I'm still planning a homebirth. I'm excited and nervous! But I just want to know from those who've done it, what do you recommend I prepare?
I've been told all I need is a shower curtain and an old sheet to cover it, and some tea and biscuits for the midwives. So is that all I need? Or would you recommend preparing anything else?
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Y - Sept 2014
Biddy

Re: What to prepare for homebirth?

Postby sabrina fair » 10 Jul 2014, 20:31

Pretty much that! We had an old/cheap duvet & cover so that I could cover up or throw off as my temperature changed which was then chucked. A blanket/towel ready for the baby to be wrapped in. It was remarkably little mess and anyway was cleared up by dh/mw while I took a bath with the baby, so I got back into clean, warm bed with toast :-).

And lovely to hear from you - I'd been wondering how you were.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 10 Jul 2014, 20:38

*waves* can you get or borrow a birth pool? I had a HB and the pool was the most amazing thing. I also picked up lots of old towels from Freecycle, which were used and then chucked. So cleanup was no bother (for me, anyway!)
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 10 Jul 2014, 20:45

I prepped a "hospital bag". It was for just in case, but also so MW/DH could find anything that we might need. It was packed in "to use" order, so going home clothes were at the bottom and tens machine was on the top. It worked out brilliantly as everything we would need was in 1 place and, should an emergency occur, we could just pick it up and run!

Dressing gown/bath robe - I really valued it for warmth and modesty! Treated myself to a new one afterwards.

Music playlist - if you're into that sort of thing.

I had a pool birth for both mine so mess was confined to the pool and a couple of towels on the bed.

Oh, bright light/torch - so the midwives can check you (and it might be night time!)
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby mamapup » 10 Jul 2014, 21:05

Hah, nothing if you're us and expected to be at.hospital!

Seriously though, it's messy, get some old.towels. All our good ones we're used. Thankfully they cleaned up just.fine.

Around here the midwives like toast (although they were.very.grateful when my.dad.bought pizza for.every one).

And, Good to hear from you,.was thinking about you the other day.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Kanga » 10 Jul 2014, 21:25

Nothing extra to add just wanted to say glad you're staving off the in laws! ;) x
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Toasty Crumpet » 10 Jul 2014, 22:09

I had a birth pool which ended up unused as LC arrived so quickly. For me, the toilet training/maternity bed pads were the one thing I used. And old towels. Good luck. I hope you get the birth you want!
Lovely Crumpet born June 2011 and little Chompy born January 2014.
Toasty Crumpet

Postby Rahgamuffin » 11 Jul 2014, 06:10

I've got a birth pool if you want it - I had it with J but L was so quick I didn't get near it :)

With J I only used 2 towels - one for me, one for him, but with L I used them as blankets as everything was so quick I was very shivery/shaky once she was born, so the option of lots of towels.

Paracetemol. The midwives don't bring it.

I had a desk light - I found the main overhead light was too bright for me both times, they had their own torch, but I wanted a light-but-not-light and that was enough.

Blanket, nappies, clothes for baby, dressing gown, maternity pads all where ready to grab.

May just be me, but ice lollies - I struggle with not being able to eat, but needing sugar after labour and ice lollies are perfect. The hospital with B tried to feed me hot chocolate but it made me sick - might be another option for you though?
Mum to B (05/08), J (02/11) & L (01/14)
Rahgamuffin

Postby mindy » 11 Jul 2014, 19:37

Biddy, I'm so excited for you! Love the idea of a home birth, what will you do with the girls, will they be involved or go elsewhere? x
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Postby SparklePetal » 11 Jul 2014, 19:45

HappyFeet wrote:I prepped a "hospital bag". It was for just in case, but also so MW/DH could find anything that we might need. It was packed in "to use" order, so going home clothes were at the bottom and tens machine was on the top. It worked out brilliantly as everything we would need was in 1 place and, should an emergency occur, we could just pick it up and run!

Wish I had done this, it would have come in handy when my planned downstairs birth turned into an upstairs birth and everything was still downstairs except me :wink:

Towels etc did come up fine afterwards, but I was on the safe side and left written instructions in the simplest possible language so DH, or mother or MW or whoever could work the washing machine, make a cup of tea and locate the snacks without referring to me first :D
Mum to DD Snow White (30/11/08) and DS Bluebird (13/09/11)
<><
http://sparklepetal.wordpress.com
SparklePetal

Postby cloudcuckoo » 12 Jul 2014, 23:54

Ah, I love a homebirth, all of mine have been born at home. You need a waterproof cover for the floor, and something soft to go on it if you're I. All fours or knees. I had a pool once but never made it into the water. My birth ball and dressing gown, plus TENS machine are my man 'kit'. Your MW will tell you what they need - mine asked for a changing mat to be set up on a table as a resus area just in case, and a small desk lamp for any stitches needed.

Otherwise, I also pack a hospital bag which lives by the door for the last few weeks with the homebirth box from the MW. Extras are absorbant mats for beds or towels under my sheets, bulk laundry liquid purchases, and a house packed with quick and easy, quick food. Lots of ibuprofen for later, and a clear list of where to get help - MW/ GP/ delivery suite numbers, details of all local breastfeeding clinics and counsellors. I hope you can keep the IL's away long enough to make it happen!
Two girls, Bug (2010) and Bobs (2007) in the cloud-nest, and a boy, Boo, too (February 2014)
cloudcuckoo

Postby Biddy » 14 Jul 2014, 10:45

Thanks everyone, that's all extremely useful info. I'll be making a list now. Excellent idea to have a labour bag ready, I'll definitely do that and leave very basic instructions :)

I haven't had much luck finding a shower curtain, they're all made of that polyester stuff which isn't very waterproof. So I think might just use those disposable bed pads that they use in the hospital, I can get them in boots. They're useful anyway after the birth for milk leakage and other bodily fluids - including baby's!

As for a birth pool, I'd love one. But I really don't have space. I'll either labour in the bedroom or living room and neither has enough floor space. Anyway I can't imagine DH will be together enough to organise it or keep it warm, so I'll have to manage without. Might spend some time in the bath instead.

It's lovely that you've been thinking of me, I feel quite touched by that. Lately I've been feeling very alone and overwhelmed. Things still aren't good with DH. He's trying to be nicer this month as it's Ramadan. His behaviour always improves during this month. But he's still managing to prove to me in various ways that he really doesn't care much about me. He seems to have an inherent selfishness about him which he can't shake.

He planned on going to his parents in morocco for the last part of Ramadan and to stay for a while afterwards. This surprised me as the baby is due only 1 month after Ramadan finishes. But I'm also not surprised by it. He probably can't even remember the due date, let alone have the presence of mind to realise I'll need him around to help me out during those final weeks.
But now he's realising he may not have the money to go, so he's said he wants to invite them here instead!! I really put my foot down and said no way, but I have no idea if he'll respect my wishes. He hasn't done before :( I just can't get my head around why he would do that to me. I don't think he's vicious enough to purposefully make me suffer, I think he just doesn't think of me at all. He doesn't care enough to consider how hard it'll make things for me (or the children).

Even down to little things like not knowing after 6years of marriage the things I like and dislike. Being completely inconsiderate of all the work I have to do every day. I have to manage the entire house by myself, all the cooking and cleaning and chores, I have to take care of everything connected to the children and also trying to home educate, I even have to do manual labour - cleaning out blocked drains, hauling heavy binbags outside, moving heavy furniture etc etc. If I wait for him to help or do things for me I'll be six feet under before I see any results. Plus I have the pressure of debts from unpaid bills and fines. He's completely irresponsible with finances but insists on taking charge of them. A lot of the debts are in my name too :?
So I have all that on my mind too. Plus about a zillion other things to do with the children and family and money.

It's all just so stressful and physically and emotionally exhausting. I'm trying not to let things get to me as I really don't want to be tense and stressed for the birth. But it's hard. I feel sad and worried. And everyone's talking about the awful things happening in Palestine, daily I see pictures of dead children and families torn apart, lives destroyed, huge injustices, mass oppression. I'm trying to avoid reading about it but my heart aches for them. Weirdly it sort of helps me feel less stressed about my own first world troubles, but instead I'm left with a feeling of horror at what human beings (apparently) are capable of doing to each other.

At least I'm managing to make more effort with my spirituality which is actually helping a lot. That's what this month is supposed to be for so I'm trying to achieve that. It helps me to see the bigger picture and to focus on the things that make me grateful and happy.

But anyway after that complaining session what I'm trying to say is, thanks for thinking about me. It makes me feel good to know there are people who remember I exist and they wonder how I am :) you're all such lovely folks xxx
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Y - Sept 2014
Biddy

Postby Treeb » 14 Jul 2014, 11:09

No advice for the home birth, but have some (((( )))) for the rest of it!
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby junglewonderland » 14 Jul 2014, 12:05

(((Biddy)))
I used a waterproof disposable table cloth instead of a shower curtain if that helps.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby sabrina fair » 14 Jul 2014, 12:50

((((biddy))))

You're dealing with such a lot. I wish we could help.

If you've got a Dunelm near you, they do waterproof PVC table covering for about 3 quid a metre - a couple of metres will go over half the bed and some of the floor. If you turn it upside down there'll be a warm layer in case the sheet slides off. Worked brilliantly here.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Next

Return to Pregnancy